↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics (L663) > VHS/UHF Radio installation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Nice job! The big button on the mic is far too bright. I coloured mine in with a marker pen!
Cool
If you worked HF i’d sched a contact on 10m, but West coast might be a stretch, I worked AZ the other day, that’s as far West as I’ve got so far… but I do have a 3 element quad on the way
Post #979068 21st Jan 2023 8:43am
BobbyR

Australia 2016 Defender 110 2.5 TD SW Pennine Grey
I am very curious to know, can the bonnet still open with the antenna mounted there, or does it hit stuff? I have been considering doing the same mount for an antenna, but I want to make sure I'm not going to have to remove the antenna to open the bonnet. I have an air compressor mounted in the engine bay, and it will be a PITA to have to remove the antenna every time I want to use the thing.

Cheers!!

zilch wrote:
Eventually I got the UHF installed this week, the antenna mount was from Tuff Ant
who’s kit literally is bolted to the passenger side bonnet hinge, zero drilling, just remove one
bolt, loosen the other, slide it in and then retighten the bolts that hold the hinge brackets.
The coax is run under plastic and then pushed/punched through the large steering wheel
grommet into the cabin and ran under the dash, under the diver side footwell panel and into
the centre console.

The UHF unit takes its power from fuse 2 (USB/AUX) in the passenger compartment fuse box
behind the glove box, just used a piggy back fuse and the cable ran behind the dash
and under the footwell side panel and into the centre console space..

The mic is attached to its standard magnetic holder which is double side taped to
a holdmyphone dash clamp

Apart from pushing through the steering column area, zero drilling on any of the install..
Pretty happy with the finished result

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1022112 22nd Jan 2024 6:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12