↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > New Seat Cover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Martyn

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 PU Keswick Green
New Seat Cover
Put a slash in the back of the part leather XS front passenger seat last week getting summot awkward out. Got a replacement cover on order, due to collect tomorrow. An original jobby from the local LR stealer. Cost me about 90 squid. Asked them about fitting particulars but they were first class useless.

Question: After I've undone the bottom clip strip, removed the headrest and head rest holders x 2 does the cover just slip off like a tight glove or is it fixed to the frame with hog rings??? If it is, are they reusable???

Ent poked around underneath yet and I wanna do the job in one and get it done out of the way. Only had it 3 month, feel proppa gutted Big Cry
Post #89868 18th Sep 2011 9:11pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Hog rings onto two or three thin metal bars from memory (replaced the backrest foam last year) easy job though, I used small cable ties to replace though, easier to put in place and tension as required.

Pull it inside out and unroll up the back rest to take off, reverse proceedure to fit.

Keep the old one, I bought a spare centre seat cover and used it to trim a wedge of hard foam fixed to the cubby box lid, about 6" tall - perfect armrest!

You're not a million miles away, if you nip down I'll help you if required.

Keith
Post #89884 18th Sep 2011 9:49pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
ickle wrote:
Keep the old one, I bought a spare centre seat cover and used it to trim a wedge of hard foam fixed to the cubby box lid, about 6" tall - perfect armrest! Keith

Good idea! I too did something similar with cubby box recovering...

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic3632.html?highlight=leather If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #90041 19th Sep 2011 7:12pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Ha! I've just done exactly the same, although I'm not a seamstress Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #90043 19th Sep 2011 7:24pm
Martyn

Thanks for that Ickle. Your bang on; 3 bars embedded within the foam and ditto within the new seat cover. Bar fixes to bar using a stainless steel hog ring - 4 either side and 3 on top. Cover arrived today.

Looks like the hardest part will be to get two pairs of long nosed jobbies on the existing hog rings and prize them open. Considering cutting the existing cover off so I can get that done more easily. Hog ring pliers on order. Tried to have a fiddle this evening but was black as a bag outside by 7!!

Thanks for your offer of helping, looks straightforward however. I'll have a crack on me own and mssg you on here if I get stuck. Wink
Post #90045 19th Sep 2011 7:32pm
Martyn

Righty, the job is done. Didn't take the seat out to change the cover. Cut the old cover off and then removed the existing hogs by snipping them with http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?id=161836413

They were too strong to twist off. Rolled the new cover down and fixed new hogs as I went. All I can say is.... be brutal! Thumbs Up

Decent pair of hog ring pliers needed. Something with a flat nose that you can get in close with. 11 hogs per chair.

Few light ripples but they should drop out as the leather dries and the seat foam/cover settles down abit.

Forgot to add... the headrest inserts twist 90 degrees anti-clockwise and then need a good hard yank to get them out. Took about 2 hours overall.
Post #91418 26th Sep 2011 8:00pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Well done Martyn, centre armrest trim?

Click image to enlarge

The foam used is the really dense kneeling mats sold at Billing, the material a centre seat base cover also from Billing, height with Mudrails is perfect for me & much more comfy on long trips.

Keith

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #91467 26th Sep 2011 11:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1