↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Pet Trackers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Pet Trackers
Does anyone have any experience or recommendations with GPS pet trackers??

We have a rescue dog that has taken to disappearing into park land on recent walks with the wife and short of an extendable lead she isn't very confident of the situation.......

Have seen some but seem to state very short active areas??
Post #944164 28th Feb 2022 8:33pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
When i was looking into setting up my own tracking service/server i looked into a range of trackers. I think the short range ones you have seen are likely bluetooth ones. You need to keep an eye out for GPS ones with gprs preferably. They need a simcard but dont use too much data so a free giffgaff sim will be ideal.

How big is the dog, as that might limit the tracker potential. We have always used a Julius K9 harness with our German Shepherds which would be dead easy to attch a proper rechargable tracker onto. However a little jack russel or terrier would be more tricky.

Not used one but something like that might do the trick
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-secu...06766.html
Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #944174 28th Feb 2022 9:52pm
90 Dreamer

Medium size, described as a 'lurcher type' when we got her but fairly sure she's mostly Saluki.......

Fast and likes to hunt (probably previously used for poaching or whatever) and hence likes to go and do het own thing!!
Post #944181 28th Feb 2022 10:04pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Some of us use these in our Defenders with good success https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54093.html

They make a small form one for pet tracking https://www.amazon.co.uk/TKSTAR-Portable-N...B07BQVNKD2

The smaller 'pet' ones will have a small battery so will need more regular charging, otherwise the functionality will be the same. Great little things and cost effective > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #944222 1st Mar 2022 10:47am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Any dog trainer will tell you that if you're not certain your dog will return when called, don't let it off the lead. Rather than spending money on a tracker, spend some time on some decent training.
Alternatively, there are quite a few dog fields you can rent by the hour that are secure.

Please don't bring it anywhere near us. I'm fed up with shouting at people about their dog chasing my animals.

Rant over.
Post #944232 1st Mar 2022 12:42pm
nicam

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
I looked into this a few months ago when our border collie was "rescued" from our field by a couple passing by on a holiday barge!! They saw her in our field, pulled the boat up to the bank and picked her up.
Then they posted on a local social media site that they had found a dog. Fortunately a friend saw the picture of her that they posted, recognised her and rang us - after a while we managed to find them and reclaimed the dog.
I subsequently got a tractive tracker

https://tractive.com/en/pd/gps-tracker-dog

It does what it says, and allows me to see where she is anytime she has the collar on (i have the tracker on a second collar, worn when she is out and about).
It is accurate to a few meters and the battery seems to last a couple of days if left on all the time. If you log it onto your home network it shuts down if in range to save battery power - neat touch, I thought.
Down side is that you need a sim and subscription.
No connection to them, just think it does the job ok. Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!
Post #944259 1st Mar 2022 4:42pm
The Zee

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
Apple AirTag ?

Not active GSM tracking, but piggybacks on the iPhone system to "broadcast" its location.
Cheap at about £25 each, with a 1 year battery life.
https://www.apple.com/uk/airtag/

Discussed here : https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic82560.html Zaid-M
www.DefencePhotos.com
2014 Defender 110 Utility, 2.2 Puma, Indus Silver
Not just transport more like a religion
Post #944261 1st Mar 2022 4:59pm
90 Dreamer

Thanks for the help and ideas.....will have a good look into a few of these

Just for info she returns and is exceptionally obedient and personally I have not had issues when out with her - this is a huge public space with no farm animals, etc otherwise none of our dogs get let off and in general we avoid grazing type places like the plague so take your rants elsewhere please.......
As mentioned this is more about confidence for the wife who has far moe time to spend with them - in the 4-5years we have had this dog she has gone 'missing' half a dozen times but alwyas returns to the regular 'walk' area or back to the main part of the park at some point

Would love to know what sets her off on these odd occasions ??
Post #944285 1st Mar 2022 8:46pm
RoddyK05

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Yellow
I use Tractive trackers on both of ours, they are not dear to buy but you need to subscribe to the ‘monitoring service’. Off hand I can’t remember how much it is, but it’s peace of mind. They are not 100% reliable but work most of the time, sometimes it just takes a minute or so to get a proper fix on your dog but most of the time it’s quite quick. Using the app on your phone you can check their history to see where they have been (possibly good to use if you employ a dog walker?) and a couple of other things.
Post #944288 1st Mar 2022 8:57pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Natural instinct of prey drive is frequently a cause for a dog to go astray, it will over rule training (not listening) to commands. Even the most placid dog can switch, should they suddenly go, bellowing at the dog can make it think they are pleasing the owner and off they go further and faster.

Unfortunately where we live, there are too many dogs off lead and owners have limited control, we have even had loose dogs in our house. Our mastiff often has plenty to say when a stray gets too close to the house, or worse when the owners come looking. Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #944321 1st Mar 2022 11:42pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I don’t think there is any harm in doing recall training, there are plenty of local dog training clubs that can help you, however as Muddybigdog says you are up against the basic instinct of a sight hound to chase after anything that looks like prey. You are also up against one of the fastest dogs in the World and will have covered the first 50 metres before you can effectively respond. By all means use a tracker and do some recall training but don’t be too despondent if he takes off after some long eared ball of fur. There are more and more facilities opening up where you can let your dog off lead in a safe enclosed environment and maybe worth investigating. Good luck Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #944329 2nd Mar 2022 9:43am
RDR

United Kingdom 
We use Tractive on our crazy rescues. costs £79 a year for the service. Buy the additional XL battery which lasts about a week when its in normal mode. If the dogs lost you can go into the app and switch to live tracking which chews battery life but allows you to track the dog live. The ability to remotely trigger the flashing light has come in handy too.

Should be noted it does need a mobile service to connect to the cloud so if your in the middle of nowhere without signal it won't be as effective. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #944333 2nd Mar 2022 10:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1