Germany 
Cabin air filter
Hi all
Im currently developing a cabin air filter For the puma

Someone interested?
Post #943423 22nd Feb 2022 11:12am
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Maybe, but would depend on ease of installation and air flow.
Post #943474 22nd Feb 2022 6:33pm
deffysams

Germany 
The filter would be located in the air duct from the fender to the fan Therfore this plastic thing needs to be Removed for installation and later removed. It’s a little frustrating but can be don in 10 minutes
Airflow didn’t change noticeably with mine
But the engine noise got quieter
Post #943476 22nd Feb 2022 6:47pm
philippr86

Germany 
Hi deffysams,

sound very good. Have it on my list as well, but had too many other things on my list to tackle this project yet. Thought about using it in conjunction with a snowcowl in order to protect the filter from getting wet as much as possible…
Post #943673 24th Feb 2022 3:32pm
Def90

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Hi deffysams

Also would be interested but as Co1 said would be dependent on its ease of installation.

This is the only type of fix that I have seen so far that looks like it will work.

https://otc4x4.pl/products

You are still left with the poor fit and miss aliment issue of the plastic air intake duct and the heater blower motor unit.

One other issue you might find with RHD vehicles is the removal of the plastic air intake duct is not that easy as it is on a LHD!

Still would be interested to see what you come up with.
Post #943675 24th Feb 2022 4:01pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Nice idea! Look forward to seeing it develop > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #943678 24th Feb 2022 5:07pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Ja Wink mee to!

I contemplated the oct4x4 solution but I'd rather like an "invisible" solution and no snow cowl.
But then how would the filter be protected from water? Confused
Post #943727 24th Feb 2022 10:00pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I have an entreq snow cowl, stops detritus and water getting in BUT putting a filter there just won’t work given the poor duct mating between the subsequent ducting and the heater blower motor as that would bypass the filter as it sucks in air via the engine bay, which is downstream of the filter if fitted in the snow cowl. Now if you come up with a solution to fix that problem with an air tight solution between the wing and the blower motor, with the option of inserting a cabin filter(but not a requirement),that’s easy to install in a RHD then you are going to have a large market. Especially in hot climates as it will significantly improve the air-con performance.

Ps in my experience adding a snow cowl means you don’t get a natural flow of air into the cabin without the blower motor on unless you are travelling at >60mph
Post #943732 24th Feb 2022 10:54pm
swt

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
For various reasons I've long been interested in an air filter for the cabin intake. I didn't fancy the Devon4x4 one (https://www.devon4x4.com/d44-defender-cab-filter-black.html), partly due to styling and because it isn't compatible with a snow cowl, which I find useful.

Prompted by the discussion above, I've ordered the OTC4x4 effort. Their website, customer service and delivery were good. It arrived from Poland this morning. It's a solid piece of plastic, takes a cost-effective, standard filter, and has some well-illustrated instructions. Not that you need instructions for this, but a few suppliers of more complex items could take a leaf out of their book!

As Ianh says, there is a detectable reduction in cabin airflow when a snow cowl is fitted, and as he predicts, I'm anticipating that the restriction of the filter will cause worse airflow and/or drawing from the engine compartment round the shoddily-designed Puma intake/fan seal (although mine is not the worst example of this problem). Having tried it as is, I will then make the zip-tie mod between fan and intake duct, which is described elsewhere on this forum.

It's strange that no-one has ever come up with a complete solution for the cabin air intake. A few years back I fitted the Nakatanenga upgraded air intake, which I now use with a Nugget air box - the Naka kit included a replacement metal component and hose for the cabin intake, but this was only suitable for LHD vehicles, and the metal part that married with the fan box seemed quite heavy for its single fixing screw. Something along those lines, with a filter located under the bonnet or in the wing would seem ideal.
Post #944469 3rd Mar 2022 4:11pm
Simon dlb

Kenya 
Yes. I would defo be interested. Good luck!
Post #947160 27th Mar 2022 7:55am
itsdashy

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 PU Orkney Grey
Ianh wrote:
Ps in my experience adding a snow cowl means you don’t get a natural flow of air into the cabin without the blower motor on unless you are travelling at >60mph

Surely your window is open and right elbow out? Laughing
Post #947350 28th Mar 2022 9:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1