↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Faults & Fixes (L663) > Steering off centre. Anyone else?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BlueSmoke

United Kingdom 
Steering off centre. Anyone else?
So, picked up the car today after the beasts first trip into the service centre.

I've noticed the steering is slightly off centre, the wheel seems to settle slightly to the right when driving in a straight line. If I hold the wheel straight i'd be hitting a lampost pretty quickly on a straight road. I explained the issue and got it booked in. The car has done 4000 miles.

I was told the alignment and tracking was checked, but I still have the same issue. They had the car for 2 days. I received a video showing I didnt have uneven tyre wear, wasnt expecting that after 4000 miles anyway, also raised the extended wheel arches werent fitted well and a weather sill on the tailgate wasnt fitted properly, I also havent had a software update since october despite receiving an email around that time to expect wireless carplay. All of these issues were initally dismissed as normal and not a problem. The reason for the second day was they decided they would replace the wheel arches, then they turned up damaged so havent been fitted. Just wondering if anybody else has the steering issue, it's all I can think about when driving and annoys the hell out of me. Having to steer slightly to the right to hold a straight line. I know this isnt in my head.

Anybody else had a similar issue? Picture below shows how slight it is, but incredibly annoying and I feel I've been told it's a problem that doesnt exist. My auto wipers are off here so the indicator stalks are the same height if that helps.

Click image to enlarge
Post #942006 10th Feb 2022 10:05pm
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Funnily enough we have had our 110 XS for 2 weeks and I’ve noticed the same issue. Looks to me that the steering wheel has been fitted 1 or w splines off 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 250D XS
Post #942026 11th Feb 2022 12:21am
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
This isn't a wheel alignment or tracking issue, the workshop just needs to re-centre the steering by adjusting the track rod ends.
Post #942032 11th Feb 2022 8:20am
BlueSmoke

United Kingdom 
I thought this could be the case rather than tracking. I was convincing myself it was easier to turn right than left but that could have been in my head. Thanks very much.
Post #942036 11th Feb 2022 8:59am
lightning

United Kingdom 
This is quite common with new cars, our Jimny steering wheel is very slightly off centre when driving in a straight road.
lt used to annoy the hell out of me as well, but l've given up stressing about it now.
It needs a very slight adjustment of both track rod ends, as stated above. One has to go in, the other out, by about 1/5 of a turn on the threads.

lt's a little bit of trial and error, it's easy to adjust too far and end up with the steering wheel slightly off centre the other way, and have to adjust again!

Best to mark the "before" settings with white paint.
Post #942038 11th Feb 2022 9:16am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
In the "good old days" this is the sort of thing which would be picked up and corrected during the Pre-Delivery-Inspection or PDI process. Disappointing that it isn't.

As Nuclear Nick says it is remedied by adjusting the TREs, one in and the other out by equal small amounts, on vehicles with rack-and-pinion steering (for the old Def it would be similar but it would be the drag link which would be lengthened or shortened).

Moving the steering wheel would have a massive effect. I don't know how many splines there are on the new Def steering column, but an old Def is 36 or 48 depending on various largely random factors, so moving the wheel one spline would shift it either 10 or 7.5 degrees, which is far more than the OP's misalignment.
Post #942041 11th Feb 2022 10:10am
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
My VW T5 is pretty susceptible to road camber. So normally left hand down.
Post #942047 11th Feb 2022 10:54am
TRGRichie

United Kingdom 
Yep same on mine slightly off to the right, I’m just living with it…. LR quirk…. L663 90ht
Post #944704 5th Mar 2022 12:16pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Mine is also slightly off to the right, l think it happens as the new suspension components settle, as it was fine when l got it.
Our Suzuki Jimny also did the same thing.

I've never bothered adjusting the Jimny steering as my missus hasn't even noticed it, but l'll adjust the Defender after l've done a couple thousand more miles.
Post #973106 1st Dec 2022 7:16pm
J77

Scotland 
My 90 was fine, but definitely noticeable on my 110. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #973122 1st Dec 2022 9:37pm
DFNDER

Australia 
Should track true, simply "living with it" is not good enough on these high end modern vehicles. get a proper wheel alignment done. Note the dealers don't do it themselves, they usually farm this out, the trick is to find a shop that knows what they are doing. The EAS doesn't make it easy, as the car is continually trying to level. It needs to be put into tight tolerance mode before doing any alignment work, otherwise it's all for nought.
Post #1010582 9th Oct 2023 1:32am
lightning

United Kingdom 
l've had my Defender 90 for ten months now and the steering wheel does appear to be very slightly off centre to the right when driving in a straight line. However it depends on road camber. lf l drive on the opposite side of the road the steering wheel centres slightly to the left.
Post #1011210 14th Oct 2023 3:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1