↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Cubby box bass
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jpboost

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Cubby box bass
I'm part way through planning and installing some stereo in my 110, but am a bit stuck when it comes to where to put a subwoofer. I'm not keen on the OE style 'small active sub box attached to the back of the cubby' approach. It looks like the afterthought that it is, and not really what I'm after. It's also probably a bit lacking in output for my taste.

Mine's a 110 SW and I regularly use all 7 seats, and quite often fold all the seats up and carry larger items, so a box (active or otherwise) under either row of the rear seats isn't really an option. Also with all the seats and windows, there's not really anywhere in the back to put anything.

So I think I'm left with the cubby box space.

Has anyone built a custom cubby box to put a subwoofer in?

I know Lucari do one, but I'm not too keen on how it looks, so was hoping that there might be some others out there to take inspiration from.

I did find this thread: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic68336.html, but I was thinking of something a bit more purpose built.

As much as I used to be a bit of a stereo nut when I was younger, I'm accepting of the fact that I'm rather limited on space in this one. I'd imagine a single 8" sub (or possibly a 10" at a push) is about as far as I'll go.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by jpboost on 10th Feb 2022 7:50pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #941981 10th Feb 2022 7:41pm
300TDi CSW Phil

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
I went for an in Phase unit on the back of the cubby box as I like the cubby and it was the cheapest way of doing it with a sub that got good reviews (sometimes I have to turn the bass down Laughing )

Mud do a Sub Locker that goes under the existing cubby box and will take certain subs, this option is more expensive and raises the height of the cubby box which may or may not be an issue for you. 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
Wide Track Sankey- In bits- Gone to a new home
M0XQS
Post #941985 10th Feb 2022 7:49pm
jpboost

Thanks for the quick response!

I've had a look at the mud stuff cubby, but it's not really the type of thing I'm after. I don't be fitting a pre-made active sub, but want to fit something a bit more substantial.

I'm happy this means that I'll be building (and trimming) myself a new cubby, and it's very likely to be taller and possibly longer than the original item. I'm just surprised that I've not been able to find pictures of more people that have done the same.

Will pick up some 18mm birch ply and some vinyl when I get a chance. Quite looking forward to it, it's been years since I've been box building.
Post #941988 10th Feb 2022 8:06pm
PCM

United Kingdom 
How about a Big bass unit in the rear of the cubby. With a usb and also the controls for the rear heated seats. (For the kids)
Amp in the seat box.
Sounds like I’m in the cinema.

Click image to enlarge
Post #942004 10th Feb 2022 10:03pm
jpboost

Yes, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm thinking of.

Thanks for the picture.

What sub is that? From the look of the grille, it looks a bit like a JL audio 6w3?

I was also going to run my amp in the seat box, it certainly seems the sensible place to locate it.. What sort of power are you running?

Thanks
Post #942007 10th Feb 2022 10:11pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I would stick to an 8” Sub for a cubby box, due to internal air volume with a sealed enclosure.
If you put an Amp in there, beware of heat buildup as the transmission is just below and will heat up the area from beneath, on top of the Amp producing heat too.
Though a Class D Amp will run a lot, lot cooler and more efficiently, it’s not ideal without airflow. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #942019 10th Feb 2022 11:15pm
PCM

United Kingdom 
The image above is a jl audio sub. I was lucky to be able to try a lot of systems on the bench before committing and jlaudio just had the best sound.

https://www.jlaudio.com/collections/car-au...fers-92145

It was custom built by the guys at Stagshaw. Expensive (for what it is) but sounds bloody amazing though.
Cubby is a sealed box as when ported it just didn’t give off the right sound. So only have an inch under the lid to store keys etc. But it’s a different shape cubby so have space under the cup holders.

Amp is quite a big alpine one and had to be installed on a slant.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #942022 10th Feb 2022 11:54pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Sealed smaller enclosures tend to sound better to me, porting is more appropriate with large installs of 12” subs and upwards and twin subs etc.

Calculating internal volume of air displacement details are online, IIRC sealed enclosures require a little less room than others.
Details usually are on the sub specs paperwork.

This kind of thing:
http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #942024 11th Feb 2022 12:06am
PCM

United Kingdom 
The Jl one is 6.5 inches and needed just 4.2l.
Perfect for a cubby box. Thumbs Up
Post #942025 11th Feb 2022 12:12am
Onemcs

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I mounted mine to the underside of the rear seats.

Folds away and still managed to carry lots of loads

Click image to enlarge
Post #942282 13th Feb 2022 9:55am
jpboost

Thanks Onemcs, it does look reasonably practical there.

But my mind is made up, separate amp and sub. It'll be a bit more work, but should give me the best result I think.

I've ordered some of the bits already, so need to get measuring up for the box...
Post #942472 14th Feb 2022 4:42pm
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
@PCM, how did you get the RCA wires into the seat box area, thought existing grommets and outside under the car, or across the inside of the car maybe below a carpet?

Trying to do mine at present, have all the bits but need to still figure out the routing. Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #942473 14th Feb 2022 4:52pm
jpboost

I don't know what PCM did, but I ran the RCAs for mine yesterday.

All inside the car, I didn't see any need or advantage to running them outside.

Straight down from the head unit, and out from the dash where the heater meets the gearbox tunnel. Then along the tunnel and into the seat box through a hole that was already there. The hole had a blind grommet in, so I just swapped to an open one.

Mine doesn't have carpet or heated seats, so the cable run under the rubber matting, and I think the hole I used is probably one for heated seats.

I removed the passenger seat and clips on the rubber mats, and once apart it was very straightforward, hence not worrying about running the cable outside. As my sub box will be instead of the cubby box, I'll avoid needing to run cables from the amp to the rear of the car.
Post #942575 15th Feb 2022 3:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1