Home > Maintenance & Modifications > rear alarm door switch wiring
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
GrouseII

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Coniston Green
rear alarm door switch wiring
Hi

I am wanting to refit my missing rear door alarm switch. I have zero knowledge of electrics so can someone just tell me I am doing the right thing - see photo.

I will cut into the purple/green cable and take a feed off to the switch and I will cut into the black cable and wire to the earth of the switch.

The reason I am confused is that clearly the switch used to be there (Previous owner bent back the striker plate) but there are no nice spare holes in the plug thingy for me to use which seems odd.

I did post a similar question 3 ish years ago but didnt ask about the actual wiring and lost confidence in having a go.

Looking forward to some clarification Smile

Many thanks

Grouseii

Click image to enlarge
Post #941565 8th Feb 2022 10:25am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The door switches only have one wire - an earth. Basically, they make contact with earth when released and break when pushed in. I don't know what wiring you've got but all you should need to do is tee into the earth wire to the nearest light. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #941574 8th Feb 2022 10:42am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
You're looking for a single black female spade connector on a purple with blue stripe wire for the switch.

This wire will come down from the roof - perhaps it's been pulled up and tucked away?

Do you have central locking (doesn't appear so)? But if you the purple/blue for the door switch should follow the orange and pink central locking wires down from the roof.

The green and purple is a brake light feed, and the black is earth - neither of these will help you for the door switch!  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #941580 8th Feb 2022 11:01am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GrouseII

Thanks gentlemen.

its all dark arts but from what you both say an earth cable (purple with black spade) from my interior light (hidden under the head lining currently dangling in fresh air, connected to the spade connector on the new switch will magically make the light come on and set the alarm off when the door opened?

I've got a car mate who hopefully can explain the theory too me an other day but got to say it bewilders me that there is no power to the switch but there you go.

Much appreciated

Grouseii
Post #941583 8th Feb 2022 11:15am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
The purple with blue stripe wire is the only wire which connects to the door switch.

When the door is opened the switch electrically connects the purple/blue to the body via the switch mounting screw.

The body is at 'earth' - connected to the battery negative. This switching to earth is detected by the alarm ECU (yes you have one) which brings on the interior light/triggers the alarm.

Martin  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #941587 8th Feb 2022 11:20am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GrouseII

Ah, got it.
I had the naïve idea that aluminium body was not a conductor but google tells me it is. What a numpty!

Thanks again
Post #941588 8th Feb 2022 11:26am
GrouseII

Just in case it helps anyone in the future with this issue here is a link with a good wiring diagram showing what's going on (lets hope they don't delete it!)

https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/36884-interior-light/

Thumbs Up
Post #943419 22nd Feb 2022 10:36am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1