↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Front electric windows - motor removal?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Marlin.45

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Td5 SW Baltic Blue
Front electric windows - motor removal?
Today I noticed that the electric pass window was not working. So first check - the power to the motor plug toggles +/-12v at the terminals when the switch is pressed up/dwn - so that seems fine. Fault appears to be the motor?

Looking at the location what's the best way to get it off to check it for seizure etc.?
Unscrew the four torx heads on the underside motor or.....?
That is probably what it is as the surface of the motor body has signs of corrosion. 2006 TD5 90 County
1961 MF35
Post #938859 22nd Jan 2022 5:36pm
Marlin.45

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Td5 SW Baltic Blue
Now fixed!

Despite the potential being correct at the motor plug when disconnected I thought I would do a continuity check on the cables from the bulkhead to the door. The blue one had a high resistance. So just enough to allow the voltage to rise to the required level but with the resistance under load that would have dropped off to nothing!

Replaced the cable and all is right with the world.

Just goes to show - do a continuity check over checking the volts! Rolling Eyes 2006 TD5 90 County
1961 MF35
Post #939013 23rd Jan 2022 4:01pm
dorsetsmith

top marks Thumbs Up
Post #939020 23rd Jan 2022 4:31pm
MattHerts

Marlin.45 wrote:
Now fixed!

Despite the potential being correct at the motor plug when disconnected I thought I would do a continuity check on the cables from the bulkhead to the door. The blue one had a high resistance. So just enough to allow the voltage to rise to the required level but with the resistance under load that would have dropped off to nothing!

Replaced the cable and all is right with the world.

Just goes to show - do a continuity check over checking the volts! Rolling Eyes

Hi folks, new to this forum and social media in general really, so apologies in advance if resurrecting old threads is not the done thing.
I have a similar issue but am clueless with electrics . There is a decent +/- 12v current to electric window motor wiring connector despite some damage to blue and red wiring (now repaired with butt connectors). No reaction from the motor when press switch up or down, no indication power is getting to it at all. Even if seized I would have expected a hum or slight vibration.
Can anyone give me a beginners guide how to check the continuity or resistance of each wire please? ie, if I set the multimeter to ohms or continuity, and touch the test leads to the A frame connector and the motor connector end for each wire, this should test them individually...right?
Plus, just for my own education, if anyone feels like explaining in simple terms how a circuit with 12v running through still has no power, I would be very grateful. Can rusty or damaged wires still allow voltage to flow but not amperage?
Don't want to have to remove inner door card and replace motor if it is just the wiring loom....

Cheers for any advice everyone.
Post #961652 14th Aug 2022 9:04pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Yes, unfortunately a wire can still allow voltage but no amperage if it's damaged, essentially creating high resistance. It can be fine when tested but as soon as you put a load on it (the motor in this case), there's not enough current getting through to do anything useful.

You can test the motor by applying a direct 12v feed and seeing if it runs. Whilst it's possible that it's failed, it's far more likely to be a wiring fault as they're notorious for breaks in the link to the door. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #961671 15th Aug 2022 7:03am
MattHerts

Thanks Darren, I had read plenty of threads where everyone said the wires are known for failing in the door grommet, so thought it was the end of it when I found a rusty looking old repair. I'll replace the both the red and blue with new. I guess the connectors cant be reused if they are crimp fittings.
Now just got to figure out how to disconnect the white connector by the A frame without breaking it, cant see how they clip together.
Cheers for the advice
Post #961709 15th Aug 2022 11:52am
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
MattHerts wrote:

Plus, just for my own education, if anyone feels like explaining in simple terms how a circuit with 12v running through still has no power, I would be very grateful.

Welcome Smile Ok, first, voltage doesn't flow Smile Current does. In an electrical circuit voltage, current and resistance depend on each other by Ohm's law: current = voltage / resistance, or in symbols I = U / R.
Units are Volt, Ampere, Ohm.

The voltage "provides a potential" for a current to flow. The resistance limits that flow.
On a disconnected car battery you can measure 12V, but there is no current flowing between the terminals. Why? Because the air between them has a high resistance (12V / "very big Ohms" = 0).

To get a current flowing, you could increase the voltage. Think 100 million Volts, it's called lightning Wink

Or you decrease resistance. One metre of a 1 mm^2 copper wire has a resistance of 0.0175 Ohm (we say 17.5 milli Ohm). If you connected such a wire directly to your battery terminals, you would get 12 / 0.0175 = 685 Ampere. Please don't. A car battery is able to provide that Amperage (for cranking), but it would instantly burn our poor, tiny 1mm^2 wire Whistle Good experiment for a school class, though Twisted Evil

Home work: a) Measure the resistance of a spanner long enough to connect the terminals of a 12 V battery. b) Calculate, using Ohm's law, how big the current would be, in case anyone dropped that spanner onto the terminals. c) Write an essay on why it is a good idea to always be aware of sufficient insulation, be it battery terminal covers, gloves, wire sheathing, or distance.

hope it helps Wink

Last edited by macfrank on 15th Aug 2022 4:30pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #961715 15th Aug 2022 1:03pm
MattHerts

Thanks for the reply Macfrank. I recall some basics from GCSE physics but have almost no experience of practical application. I'd better stop bandying around technical terms like "flow" and "current" when I don't know what I'm talking about! Laughing

Have tested resistance across the wires from A frame to motor and both giving 0.2 ohm readings so unfortunately not the usual damaged wire in door opening that so many other people on here have experienced.

Will check the wiring from A frame back to switch...otherwise I guess it's a new motor.

Next question is how to get to the motor.

As the window is stuck in the up position, I can't access the clips to detach the window regulator from the glass. If I tape the window up to stop it dropping down, can I just unbolt the inner door card to expose the regulator and motor dangling off the bottom of the window glass and detach them then?

Does anyone know a simple method to lower the window so I can disconnect the regulator from the glass and slide it out the usual way?

PS if a new question should be started in a new thread, please let me know and I will repost

Cheers

Last edited by MattHerts on 15th Aug 2022 6:03pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #961733 15th Aug 2022 2:06pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Do test the motor with an independent supply before you commit yourself. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #961738 15th Aug 2022 2:29pm
MattHerts

I definately will check it Darren, just can't get to it atm as window is in the closed position so I haven't worked out how to get the inner door card off. Will try connecting a battery to the connector by the door just to see if it runs.

Think I have found a poor connection/continuity on the red wire from A frame to switch. The multimeter jumps around from a nice healthy 0.2 ish ohms to no connection and back so Im guessing cable damage behind the dash somewhere.

Going to have a browse round here to see if I can find a guide to accessing and replacing that section of wiring.

Cheers
Post #961775 15th Aug 2022 6:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1