↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Speed limiters
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
lightning

United Kingdom 
Speed limiters
There's been talk of mandatory speed limiters being fitted to all new vehicles "from 2022"
Is this still happening?

Does that mean that a Defender bought in 2023 will be limited to 70mph?

https://www.evo.co.uk/news/22326/mandatory...after-2022

https://www.confused.com/car-insurance/gui...n-new-cars
Post #938359 19th Jan 2022 6:06pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The new generation of speed limiters will be adaptive and will use GPS to determine your location, and some other database to ascertain the maximum speed limit at that location.

If you're in a 20 limit, you will be limited to 20mph.

Welcome to the future.

I *think* that they are only required on new models introduced after 2022 and not vehicles in production prior to 2022, but I may be mistaken. Also, if this is the case, I don't know how much change differentiates a "new" model from an upgraded model. Sooner or later all vehicles will have them.
Post #938364 19th Jan 2022 6:41pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
All very Demolition Man……..get home and the fine gets printed out as soon as you walk into your house….

Be well citizen…. Whistle
Post #938369 19th Jan 2022 7:06pm
J77

Scotland 
So long as we don’t have to use the 3 shells. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #938387 19th Jan 2022 8:49pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
Re: Speed limiters
lightning wrote:
There's been talk of mandatory speed limiters being fitted to all new vehicles "from 2022"
Is this still happening?

Does that mean that a Defender bought in 2023 will be limited to 70mph?

https://www.evo.co.uk/news/22326/mandatory...after-2022

https://www.confused.com/car-insurance/gui...n-new-cars

No. July 2022 is for new designs, existing model variants 2024. Even when fitted I believe they will be switchable, although every time the car is started, but the driver will be able to override it with a push on the throttle.
Post #938389 19th Jan 2022 8:57pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
So with luck my Defender Commercial ordered this month likely delivered mid 2023 won't have the speed limiter fitted.
Post #938418 19th Jan 2022 11:52pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Speed limit thats optional i have no problem with, its not a bad feature - but they should review, in an upwards direction speed limits.

We continue to breed that speed needs to be lower and bad...its wrong Mike
Post #938460 20th Jan 2022 11:07am
Tim in Scotland

lightning wrote:
So with luck my Defender Commercial ordered this month likely delivered mid 2023 won't have the speed limiter fitted.

They have them already in the form of the ASL function, even my 2015MY RRS had that “feature” and you can select manually it now in the current cars. My 2022MY Mini has it as well. BUT neither car is yet spied on remotely yet! Also have it in the form of Road Sign Revognition connected to the Adaptive Cruise (I don’t have ACC) Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #938480 20th Jan 2022 1:07pm
blackwolf

Re: Speed limiters
Nuclear Nick wrote:
No. July 2022 is for new designs, existing model variants 2024. Even when fitted I believe they will be switchable, although every time the car is started, but the driver will be able to override it with a push on the throttle.

I don't think it will be switchable once it is a mandatory feature, but it will (apparently) be possible to override it temporarily by "pressing hard" on the accelerator pedal. This feature is provided supposedly so that in the rare emergency situation where you need to exceed a speed limit to survive you can do so.

Unless you are being pursued by molten lava, it isn't easy to think of such a situation, but I guess if you are overtaking the usual halfwit who accelerates alongside you you can spurt past.

No-one has said whether "pressing hard" will also automatically generate a speeding ticket, but this is technically quite possible. Sad
Post #938497 20th Jan 2022 2:58pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
lightning wrote:

You will have to stick to commercial speed limits though. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #938609 21st Jan 2022 12:12am
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
Not in 2023 though as won’t be mandatory for current models until 2024.
Post #938627 21st Jan 2022 10:14am
camelman

United Kingdom 
AndrewS wrote:
lightning wrote:

You will have to stick to commercial speed limits though.

Out of interest, have any new Commercial HT owners been informed of the different speed limits by Landrover when they purchased / collected their vehicles?

Ultimately, its the drivers responsibility to keep to the correct lower limits but I'm wondering if many of the dealers / sales people are even aware. 
Post #938632 21st Jan 2022 10:33am
blackwolf

Very unlikely that the dealers/sales-people know, and I see absolutely no reason why they would tell customers. It's not up to them how you drive the vehicle. If you buy a non-commercial version, does the salesman tell you the speed limit?

What would be interesting is what they would say if someone asked.

It will also be interesting to see if the car knows the speed limits, assuming that the commercial has the same technical gizmos as the non-commercial versions, such as ASL.
Post #938633 21st Jan 2022 10:53am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
The car will just tell you the posted speed limit on the road as it’s just read from the road signs and a GPS database. It’s down to the driver to make any adjustment for different classes of vehicle.
Post #938661 21st Jan 2022 1:40pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
blackwolf wrote:
Very unlikely that the dealers/sales-people know, and I see absolutely no reason why they would tell customers. It's not up to them how you drive the vehicle. If you buy a non-commercial version, does the salesman tell you the speed limit?

What would be interesting is what they would say if someone asked.

It will also be interesting to see if the car knows the speed limits, assuming that the commercial has the same technical gizmos as the non-commercial versions, such as ASL.

I had this conversation with my dealer and Land Rover Customer care. I had 2 110s the X car and the 300 commercial, both HSE. It was very easy to forget to do commercial speeds in the commercial. So I set the commercial to use ASL thinking it would default to commercial speeds. It didn't so I sent the commercial back to have the correct limits set into the ASL. This is not possible and not an option. This is where I got LRCC involved. Their reply was we wont adjust the commercial ASL to a commercial if you dont like our response call the ombudsman here is the number. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #938667 21st Jan 2022 2:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>