↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Converting to XS spec
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
thomson_adam

Converting to XS spec
Hello everyone
I have found a very low mileage defender 90 but it is complete basic spec.

I am toying with the idea of converting to an xs adding in air con etc.

Am I am to even try this and would I be better holding off and buying an xs spec. To put it into prospective an xs spec with same mileage etc is around 10-12k more.

Is has the black arches and roof , I know I could paint these but I was wondering if the arches are the same on the colour coded ones ? Do they use the same plastic etc ?
Post #937872 15th Jan 2022 7:47pm
lakelander

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Orkney Grey
My advice is to decide which features are essential for you and find one with them.
There are plenty out there. Adding bits yourself will be expensive and you will not get your money back should you decide to sell.

Some of the XS features are great, such as traction control , air con, heated screen, heated seats .Others are cosmetic such as half leather, leather gear gaiter, rear door net.

I eventually bought a County with cold climate option. ( heated screen and seats, screen is superb on frosty mornings) which at the time was about £5000 cheaper than equivalent XS. Don't regret lack of aircon , fitted Climair deflectors and drive with window down which I do anyway for elbow room! Also think it looks better without the protruding rad. Regret lack of ABS/Traction. Didn't realise this was missing on the County. ( mine is early 2013 ).
Perhaps I will fit Ashcroft diffs to help compensate on green laning.
Given my time again I would probably hunt for an XS just for the ABS.

Also depends what and how you will be using your truck. XS best to cope as a passable alternative for modern daily transport. Lesser specs fine for fine weather outings, occasional trips , green laning etc.

Good luck whichever route you choose.
Post #937913 16th Jan 2022 11:38am
thomson_adam

Thanks for the reply
I guess you are right , I know it would be a lot of work.

I would like all of the xs features , heated seats , windows etc.

I just can’t justify the extra 12k when I’ll end up striping it to add sound proofing etc anyway
Post #937925 16th Jan 2022 2:56pm
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
The aircon is the biggie I think, col1 retrofitted this to his recently.

Pace automotive do a overlay loom that gives the main harness for windows/ locking / heated seats and the heated windscreen.

But you still need things like switches, window motors, the door lock solenoid's, the door wiring etc.

I am retrofitting the electrics on mine slowly. So not a big hit, will you get the money back possibly no, but it may make it attractive to another buyer if you ever had to sell, it could sell easier. Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #937942 16th Jan 2022 5:48pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Your right, Air Con is a big job. It’s not super hard, but there is a good chunk of work involved, especially getting the dash out and in again. Your not a million miles away from me, if you wanted to come and have a look feel free to give me a shout and I’ll talk you through it. From memory, it was about £1800 for the kit.

The rest of what you want to do is straight forward enough.
Post #937944 16th Jan 2022 5:55pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
ABS & ETC (traction control) may or may not be on the base spec truck you are thinking about but is a biggy for me and I assume not something you can reasonably retro-fit Rob

1993 200tdi 90 hard-top
1998 300tdi 90 soft-top
2016 2.2 XS 90 hard-top
Post #937947 16th Jan 2022 6:08pm
thomson_adam

Race.it wrote:
The aircon is the biggie I think, col1 retrofitted this to his recently.

Pace automotive do a overlay loom that gives the main harness for windows/ locking / heated seats and the heated windscreen.

But you still need things like switches, window motors, the door lock solenoid's, the door wiring etc.

I am retrofitting the electrics on mine slowly. So not a big hit, will you get the money back possibly no, but it may make it attractive to another buyer if you ever had to sell, it could sell easier.

I didn’t think the switches would be hard to come by ?
I would probably get an auto electrician to do the work to save my time etc.

I didn’t know if it would be less expensive than paying the 12k difference , I would have thought I may not get all of the money back but if you have an official xs spec and one that has all the extras would they be that far off in price ?
Post #937957 16th Jan 2022 6:39pm
thomson_adam

Co1 wrote:
Your right, Air Con is a big job. It’s not super hard, but there is a good chunk of work involved, especially getting the dash out and in again. Your not a million miles away from me, if you wanted to come and have a look feel free to give me a shout and I’ll talk you through it. From memory, it was about £1800 for the kit.

The rest of what you want to do is straight forward enough.

Thanks, that would be great.
Did you buy the kit then fit yourself ?
Post #937958 16th Jan 2022 6:40pm
thomson_adam

CarMan wrote:
ABS & ETC (traction control) may or may not be on the base spec truck you are thinking about but is a biggy for me and I assume not something you can reasonably retro-fit

Excuse my stupidity here , it does have the button on the far left which looks like traction control. Is this right ?
Post #937959 16th Jan 2022 6:41pm
Race.it

Lots of the switches are at present on back order with Landrover, the third party guys are starting to ramp up and produce them. I had same though about switches till I went to buy them. Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

Post #937966 16th Jan 2022 7:00pm
PCM

United Kingdom 
I did a load of “pondering” about such a question..
Heated seats can easily be retrofitted with a loom with genuine switches. XS or better covers are available.
Heated windows can be added too.
The main difference is the aircon that is hard (expensive) to retrofit.
But also the paperwork will never be XS. As such as an investment if you add the extra money into XS now you will eventually get it back. 🙈
Post #937970 16th Jan 2022 7:16pm
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
My advice is not to underestimate the cost of retrofitting all the kit you need, unless you can fit it all yourself.

I have taken a TD5 hard top and converted to XS Puma spec with full Puma dashboard, air conditioning, electric everything, double din sat nav etc

It is beyond expensive and if it wasn’t for the fact I love my truck and this is kind of my hobby then I couldn’t justify the cost at all. I am great at the design, but I have to pay for most of the work to be done by professionals.

If it’s “just £12k” to get what you want then I’d say spend it on a truck that is an XS already because you could spend way more than that upgrading one thing at a time.

Happy to share more if you’re interested!
Post #937975 16th Jan 2022 7:40pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Two thoughts occur to me, firstly converting it to XS spec won't make it an XS so it will never have the value of an original XS, and secondly it is entirely possible to live happily without most of the XS spec features and take comfort from the fact that there is a lot less to go wrong, usually expensively.

The only "XS feature" I retrofitted to mine and wouldn't want to be without is the heated screen, all the rest I am glad not to have! I certainly don't want air conditioning since it makes so many maintenance tasks much more complex.

I do however recognise that many people think that life without a/c is intolerable now! Very Happy
Post #937977 16th Jan 2022 7:49pm
Race.it

In southern Spain it’s defo a need, one of the only things I actually wanted on mine when I was looking as I know the other stuff can be retrofitted but in 40-50 degrees it’s nice to have even the defender one. Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

Post #937995 16th Jan 2022 9:31pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
^^ That I happily accept. The UK is not (yet) in the same league, but give it a few years...
Post #938008 17th Jan 2022 12:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>