↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > LT230 Intermediate shaft O rings
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Classic110

United Kingdom 
LT230 Intermediate shaft O rings
Good morning. Well the TB is out for a number of reasons and I am In the process of replacing the Intermediate shaft front & rear O rings. No major leak from either, just as it is out. So need to obtain the O rings. Somewhat confused as to which ones I exactly need! The TB is a 22D, suffix G with 1.410 Ratio in a 1997 Defender 110 300tdi. Any thoughts? Thank you.
Post #954781 7th Jun 2022 9:51am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
FRC8292 at the large end, FRC7439 at the small (threaded) end. As far as I know these are the same for all LT230s.
Post #954816 7th Jun 2022 3:25pm
Classic110

United Kingdom 
Thanks blackwolf (again). Managed to just order them from my local supplier, will be here tomorrow. Fingers crossed it will be all ready to go back in tomorrow afternoon. I took the sump cover off to check everything and it all seems in fine fettle, no visible apparent cog wear or rubbish in there.
Post #954820 7th Jun 2022 4:26pm
blackwolf

Remember that if you remove the intermediate shaft and your box is one with a collapsible spacer on the intermediate gear bearings you will need a new spacer (typically £1 to £4 aftermarket or £ Shocked from LR) and you will need to set the intermediate gear bearing preload on reassembly. It isn't difficult but you'll need a decent-length breaker bar on the shaft nut to crush the spacer, a torque meter with a range from 0 to about 25 lbfin, and some way to turn the input gear with the torque meter (an absurdly expensive special tool is available for this).

If you have a box with a selectable, non-crushable spacer you can simply reassemble without this need provided you haven't changed the bearings.

I *think* that a TDi is likely to have a crushable spacer, a TD5 or Puma should have a non-crushable unless it's been rebuilt before.
Post #954829 7th Jun 2022 5:48pm
Classic110

United Kingdom 
Yes it has the crushable washer, also ordered. I took a pre load measurement before removing anything so I could use this for re-assembly, no new bearings. I found a good video on the net that showed how to do this without the expensive tool.
Post #954872 7th Jun 2022 8:01pm
blackwolf

Good stuff, just wanted to make sure you were aware because you don't want to find out about it when the old spacer drops out!

Your pre-dismantling preload may be a little reduced due to wear, but if you can reset it to the same afterwards you should be fine. The LR procedure tells you to assemble then pull up the nut until all end float on the intermediate gear is taken up but there's not yet any preload. Then with the box in neutral measure the torque needed to turn the input gear (on the box I built up last week this figure was 8 lbfin). Then tighten the nut until the necessary torque increases by 10 lbfin (so I set mine to 18lbfin ). Of course this only works if you can actually measure the torque, if you can't then you more or less have to use some before-and-after comparison method.
Post #954880 7th Jun 2022 8:43pm
Classic110

United Kingdom 
Correct Oil for TB
So today I have put the TB all back together and ready it is ready to go in the 110. The WSM states the following oil for the TB:

Transfer box LT230T
API GL4 or GL5 90 EP
MIL - L - 2105 or
MIL - L - 2105B 80 EP
C or D

However there is a lot of references about not using GL5 as it corrodes!

I have enough for a dry refill in the shed of EP80/90 GL5. Is this OK to use?
Post #954978 8th Jun 2022 6:53pm
Classic110

United Kingdom 
TB back in used GL5 in the end.
Post #955445 14th Jun 2022 10:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1