↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > TerraClean - any experiences/feedback?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
TerraClean - any experiences/feedback?
Hi folks, have any of you ever subjected your Td5 to a TerraClean? I mean the enriched fuel treatment of the injectors not the steam in the intake version. Just wondering as we struggled with the smoke test in the MOT and all the blurb I read suggests people are very pleased with the results but none specific to Td5.

We have a 2002 Td5 110 CSW that has done 114,000miles. For the past few years it has done only 2000/2500 miles between MOTs and this year it barely scraped through the emissions test in October. The first smoke test result was well over 3.0m-1, although subsequent measures were well below. In the weeks leading up to the test I put a fuel injector cleaner through (one bottle between two tanks of diesel as directed) and we generally use Esso or BP diesel rather than super market fuel. My wife drives it more than I do and she is very gentle with it, I tend to give it a bit of a kicking when I drive it but rarely over 3000rpm (it has a tachometer fitted) as it sounds quite harsh/thrashy above 2500rpm.

I changed the MAF and freed off the wastegate actuator in the weeks before the test and subsequently have had the MAP sensor out for inspection and found it to be quite clean. The truck has an EGR blanking plate fitted since 2010 and was remapped at the same time, but no hint of any emissions issues in the subsequent 10 years. It doesn't appear particularly smokey when I give it some throttle, nowhere near as bad as some I've seen.

Any feedback or comments gratefully received.

Cheers, Martin
Post #937087 10th Jan 2022 4:17pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
For smoke test make a hard and fast test drive before testing. It will blow lot of dirt from exhaust system. It is quite normal, that people drive these cars gently, and it is slowly accumulating dirt in exhaust. Hard drive with full throttle blow these out. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "BlufĂ­nek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #937198 11th Jan 2022 11:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1