↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Galvanised Replacement Doors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Galvanised Replacement Doors
Now the td5 is gone I am going to focus on sprucing the tdi up. Both nearside doors are shot so I am planning to replace all 4 with new galvanised ones. I have been looking for some secondhand but the prices are bonkers if they are not already rusted to bits. And 700-800 seems to be the going rate for a puma door Shocked

I see that Shielder have started producing doors now https://www.shielderchassis.com/defender-doors

Anyone had any experience of these? SP seem to be the other alternative but (as ever) mixed views on their service and quality.

I shall be painting and fitting myself. The intention is to buy doors and all new channels/seals and then just swap over glass, winders, handles and locks.

Any other options you could recommend?
Post #936449 5th Jan 2022 3:28pm
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
I can't speak from personal experience but the photos show some pretty big gaps and far from straight panels - not what I'd expect from a £480 door. I appreciate things can change but there are plenty of upset Shielder customers, including a friend of mine who was thoroughly unimpressed with their aftercare or lack of, I would steer clear.

As for other companies, I had a Britpart Td5 rear door on my 110 and whilst the door itself was fine, it started rusting in no time whatsoever, it was clearly mild steel not zintec. I think Genuine/OEM is the way to go.

The post 2006 (Puma and very late TD5) doors are a far better design IMO and worth the extra expense. If you shop around you should do a bit better than £700-800 per door, I was fortunate enough to get a set of 4 complete from a forum member for a reasonable price and I could be sure they weren't pinched which is always good! 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #936454 5th Jan 2022 4:35pm
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
I'm going for a complete set of SP-4x4 doors myself. Despite seeing the negative feedback about their products on forums, I have seen a door at my local bodyshop from them and they said it was fine, so I'm going with the "well if the bodyshop says its OK then it should be OK...". 2005 Td5 90 XS
1989 V8 110 CSW
Post #936471 5th Jan 2022 5:57pm
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
I fitted a set of 4 galvanised doors with zintec skins from SP4x4 to my DCPU a few years back. The service was excellent, and the product was (and remains) superb:

Click image to enlarge
Post #936475 5th Jan 2022 6:26pm
Nidge

Ireland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
I too have fitted a couple of sets of SP Galvanised doors and can't fault them. Their customer service has improved too and with Britcar gone I am using SP more and more.

Just to note on the last set I got the inner window winder panels need to be from 2005 on (round top doors) as Tdi or early Td5 won't fit without adjustment.
Post #936491 5th Jan 2022 7:56pm
Oldowner

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Aintree Green
The SP doors are replicas of the 2002 -2005 door - the later door inner was fitted from 2002 onwards when the Defender was modified to take electric windows, not when the round top door one piece was introduced.
Post #936508 5th Jan 2022 9:11pm
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
SP doors may be of earlier pattern but galvanised. This means that you can reuse door cards and door furniture. While I agree the later doors are a better design there is a lot more cost to using them. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #936528 5th Jan 2022 10:30pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Choice is limited which is a shame. Definitely seems to be more direct experience of SP ones rather than Shielder ones. Given that it already has a galvanised chassis and galvanised bulkhead getting galvanised doors should give me lots of years of life from it.

Interesting comments about the different model year doors, had not really considered that. Looks like SP have catered for that though: "They are exactly the same in every way as 1984-2001 push button doors however the 2 lower mounting points for the inner window winding panels are in a different position. We have added a picture to show the difference. So for fitting this door to the earlier spec models we have made a bracket kit which allows for the fitting of the earlier pre 2001 inner panel to later doors." Another 15 of your pounds for each set though Smile

Think I will give SP4x4 a call in the morning to check on availability before I part with my money.

Thanks for the info.
Post #936531 5th Jan 2022 10:43pm
Nidge

Ireland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Oldowner wrote:
The SP doors are replicas of the 2002 -2005 door - the later door inner was fitted from 2002 onwards when the Defender was modified to take electric windows, not when the round top door one piece was introduced.

Thanks Oldowner for correcting me on my lack of knowledge of the inner workings of a defender front door Rolling Eyes
Post #936537 5th Jan 2022 11:09pm
Intercept

My SP doors were fitted to a 2002 (52 reg prefix) Black Edition 110 with electric windows and central locking. No modifications were required and the original door cards fitted just fine i.e. as well as they did before Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #936566 6th Jan 2022 11:27am
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the input.

I have hit the button and ordered 4 doors and seals and a set of hinges from SP. Trying not to weep too much at the cost Big Cry
Post #938141 18th Jan 2022 11:45am
Intercept

If you've not switched to the lift-handle doors then you'll probably also need new pushbutton door handles - the brass threaded inserts tend to let go of the plastic when you try to remove the fixing bolt Sad
Post #938142 18th Jan 2022 11:59am
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Well, they turned up quicker than I was anticipating. Well packaged and an initial inspection shows not damage. How well they fit remains to be seen but no reason they should not be good Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

What prep do I need consider? The galv is a bit rough so am I safe to sand that down? Presume then some etch primer and then top coat. These are not going to be sprayed, I will either use coach enamel or rustoleum combicolour applied with brush and roller.
Post #938671 21st Jan 2022 2:32pm
Intercept

Before mine went to the sprayshop I spent a few hours drilling out the round holes to their correct sizes, re-tapping threaded parts and filing the square hole(s) to their correct sizes. I didn't feel the need to flatten any rough zinc, but if I had, I would have followed up with some cold galv spray just in case I'd exposed any steel.
Post #938689 21st Jan 2022 3:12pm
v8bob

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
I think a test fit and mod of any holes would be good to do first.
Then I would be inclined to give them a thorough degrease/clean then etch prime.
If you wanted you could then put a high build primer as well.
Then do any smoothing you think is required.
Then a re-prime if needed, or just top coat.
And of course finally some internal wax/protection.
Post #938719 21st Jan 2022 6:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>