↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > DEFENDER 2.4 TDCi PUMA ENGINE 2009
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Gil9713

United Kingdom 
DEFENDER 2.4 TDCi PUMA ENGINE 2009
On cold start, twice I have had the engine management light come on as I pull away reducing me down to a snails pace, which is, frankly where I live quite dangerous. I need to pull away fairly smartly in first as I live on a bend.

To resolve the issue of clearing the fault down my local garage have an Auto Logic specifically for Landrover, as we are in the country and nowhere near the main dealership. This got me out of the clag until I went to the dealer to isolate the fault under guarantee and they said the fault had been cleared down, so difficult to tell what caused it, and suggested having a recovery bring me in next time it occurs, so they could do the analytical work there.

Just got back from the LRO show at Peterborough and was chatting to a Dutch couple who incidentally have the same vehicle as me and the identical fault.
They found it to be the P1169 fault code thrown up on their dealers AUTOLOGIC and isolated it to the EGM what ever that stands for, but effectively the fuel on cold start has not been burnt up fully in the system,and is held in a chamber where it then for safety reasons activates the engine management system, dropping the speed down to crawling pace, to get you home or to a dealer.

Any mechs on here from Land Rover who know what the initials stand for please, before I contact the dealers tomorrow?
Post #88507 11th Sep 2011 11:50am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Do you mean the EGR? Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve....someone with more knowledge than me..that's everyone Whistle will come along soon Thumbs Up
Post #88513 11th Sep 2011 12:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wslr

United Kingdom 
Technical Service Bulletin LTB00153/2008 is the reference you need to give the dealer. Your code refers to a fuel metering valve and/or fuel pressure relief valve issue.

The dealerships use IDS (which is actually SDD now), but this system allows checking of past diagnostic history of the vehicle. It also has diagnostic tests to check EGRs and the fuel system, so don't take this code as being the actual issue, it may just be a symptom.
Post #88514 11th Sep 2011 12:22pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I knew that Laughing Whistle
Post #88515 11th Sep 2011 12:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wslr

United Kingdom 
May sound clever Zag, but I cheated by checking TOPIx... Laughing
Post #88516 11th Sep 2011 12:29pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Wink Thumbs Up
Post #88524 11th Sep 2011 12:50pm
Gil9713

United Kingdom 
Zagato,

Thanks for that. It may have been a translation issue Laughing
EGR does sound right. Do the symptoms sound correct, as I found it astonishing that no one in the UK who owned a like minded vehicle had not experienced the same problems.
Even Ford Transit owners who have the same lump must have come across it.
Post #88531 11th Sep 2011 1:42pm
Lorryman100

Hi, it is a common fault which I have experienced a couple of times with the original LR tune on. The first time it happened I called out LR assist and they recovered the defender back to the dealers. On plugging in their diagnostics dtc P1169 was recorded, P1169 - 00 Fuel rail pressure sensor in range but high. The dealers then replaced the complete fuel rail under warranty. The second time it happened I just reset the dtc as it only happened with the original LR tune and never with the remap. (I have a scangauge fitted all the time to the OBDII socket which shows and allows clearing of tested DTC's.)

Click image to enlarge

If it happens again, switch off the ignition and restart as this will cancel the limp mode. Then after 3 ignition cycles the MIL lamp will extinguish as long as the DTC doesn't reoccur. The DTC will remain on the ECU's fault list as it is a tested DTC and will only be removed by manually clearing the fault code with diagnostic gear. LR need the dtc to authorise warranty claims and will only carry out the work based on the codes stored in the EMS. So if they are not present then there is nothing wrong with your defender in their eyes.

As to EGM? Do you think they meant EMS: Engine Management System? As this is where the fault code would be stored in the Duratorq EMS ECU.

I did a quick Google of the EGM acronym and got these:

Extraordinary General Meeting
Earth Gravity Model
Electronic Gaming Machine
Earth Geoid Model
Earth Gravitational Model
Effects Guidance Matrix
electrogram
electrograms
electrogustometry
electron gas model
Electronic Governor Module????
Elite Games Manager
endothelial growth medium
ethylene glycol monomethyl ether
Eulerian Granular Model
executive general manager
expert group meeting
Export general manifest
extracellular granular material
extraglomerular mesangium
emergency general meeting
Post #88538 11th Sep 2011 3:13pm
Gil9713

United Kingdom 
Lorryman,
Appreciate all of that, and the detail you have given me.
Great stuff
Gil
Post #88540 11th Sep 2011 3:17pm
Gil9713

United Kingdom 
Lorryman,
After phoning Marshalls Landrover today they told me that my L/R had had this mod done in 2010 at a service. Do I take it, you have had the same fault twice or have I misread your reply?
Post #88717 12th Sep 2011 5:38pm
Lorryman100

Yes, had it twice the second time about 7 months after it was supposedly fixed by the new software and replacement of the fuel rail. Thumbs Up
Post #88718 12th Sep 2011 5:43pm
Gil9713

United Kingdom 
Thanks mate thats useful............they appear to be in denial and state I have to now wait until it does it again and get recovered and leave the fault untouched.Thats a threee month wait. I'll have to try to replacate it quicker than that, as the warranty runs out in January, or I'll just extend it.

The service department stated as L/R had replaced it once they will not do it again under warranty, thats one I can't understand, as then it means the rail was not fit for purpose in the first place!!!

However, the Dutch couple I met at the LRO show stated their fault cleared up, when they turned the engine off and let it sit for a while and restarted, the fault had gone.
Mind you I suppose, as I stated to them, the ECU would store faults to be read by the L/R mechs am I wrong?
Gil
Post #88720 12th Sep 2011 5:49pm
Lorryman100

Gil, I'm curious to know what software version is running on your Defender? Mine is 7H12-12K532-FDB and I'm wondering if this is the problem and not something mechanical as I have never had this fault with the remap on, only with the original LR fuelling file.

Brian.
Post #88721 12th Sep 2011 5:50pm
Gil9713

United Kingdom 
Brian,
I'll check and let you know as this problem looks like a reoccurring one on the PUMA lump and being kept quiet for whatever reason at L/R. Mine was as AI said apparently rectified in 2010.
I got the impression the service department felt they had fulfilled their obligation by replacing whatever, and even they couldn't itemise what had in fact been replaced which was a bit odd, considering L/R were financing it not the dealership.
Suffice it to say, I will get to the bottom of it regardless, as I have the upper hand with a current warranty
Gil
Post #88722 12th Sep 2011 5:55pm
Lorryman100

Gil9713 wrote:

However, the Dutch couple I met at the LRO show stated their fault cleared up, when they turned the engine off and let it sit for a while and restarted, the fault had gone.
Mind you I suppose, as I stated to them, the ECU would store faults to be read by the L/R mechs am I wrong?
Gil

By switching off the engine and the ignition this has closed the ignition cycle with the limp mode active. And then when the vehicle was restarted this started a new ignition cycle where the fault was not present so the limp mode would not be active. If it was P1169 the MIL would still be illuminated as P1169 would need to successfully pass the testing for 3 ignition cycles before the MIL would switch off. The DTC or faultcode would then be stored in the ECU which can be read and cleared by using a diagnostic tool. Have a read of this post as it explains it better, my post near the bottom explains DTC's. Thumbs Up

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic5443.html
Post #88724 12th Sep 2011 6:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>