↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Td5 2005, If i buy a decat exaust do i need a shell?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
phillips321

2005 Defender 110 2.5 TD DCPU Belize Green
Td5 2005, If i buy a decat exaust do i need a shell?
Hi all,

I'm in the process of planning a stage2 remap on my Td5.

However what are the laws abut emissions and removing silencers and catalytic converters?

For example if i we're to buy this kit: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112005752897 will i have any problems when i take the vehicle for an MoT?

Why do allisport sell a downpipe with cat shell? https://www.allisport.com/shop/performance...-cat-pipe/

Thanks in advance
Post #935518 29th Dec 2021 2:29pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
AFAIK in the UK you do not need the shell on your age vehicle, but it is available for those outside of the UK where regulations are much more tough.

What is worth bringing up is that random checks of tourist vehicles driving through Europe may be checked for local compliance, then fined or worse. Who knows and these may just be rumours.

I do not have a CAT shell on my downpipes as it was bought eight years ago and shells were not available at the time. I am however thinking of replacing it because although it was stainless steel it is on its last legs and rusted to hell. So, what I am thinking of is either the CAT shell or fitting a performance CAT like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265263490939?va...B5EALw_wcB

There are many versions out there, but this was the easiest to link to.

Personal choice at the end of the day Thumbs Up
Post #935521 29th Dec 2021 2:40pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Best to get it.

When they announced the visual check at the MOT a few years back I could have bought a replacement section (previous owner had it removed as part of an IRB upgrade) or get an entire stainless steel system built, which is what I did.

I am guessing that if the tester failed your vehicle for not having it then it would technically illegal to drive it, which would of cause be an inconvenience until fixed. So no point in buying a part new today only to have to replace it again at MOT time.

I am surprised that Allisport haven’t added the line ‘for off-road use only’……as a get-a-round for selling them. The version on their website looks better than that weld on version they did before.

Talking of which, also note that all of the main tuners have quietly dropped EGR blanking kits.

Hope this second opinion helps. I hate spending money twice if I can avoid it.

Regards
Post #935529 29th Dec 2021 3:55pm
phillips321

So blanking the EGR is also now an MOT failure?
Post #935535 29th Dec 2021 4:41pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Blanking or deactivating any emissions stuff is not allowed and MOT failure, IF they know it’s been done. Although most don’t care in my experience, and as most are mechanics they actually see the advantages of both, but especially the EGR delete.

I’ve got a Td5 decat pipe if you want one as I’ve now had a full system built for me that came with new down pipe.
Post #935540 29th Dec 2021 5:14pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Technically altering or removing the emissions system of a vehicle should be an MOT fail, but the tester cannot remove items to check if the EGR system is complete or not blocked. Plus, if it looks like it was never there (ie. a down pipe without a CAT that's been obviously emptied and welded shut again) then it is unlikely to be tested, as with the spare wheel/tyre. To be honest I would entirely expect for regulations to be tightened up even further and possibly back dated to include vehicles after a certain date as we inevitably march towards the removal of combustion engines from the roads.

Anyway, I think these are the two sections that deal with the CAT and EGR.

Quote:
8.2.1.1. Exhaust emission control equipment
This inspection is only for vehicles that must have a full catalyst emissions test (disregarding the basic emissions test). You only need to check components that are visible and identifiable, such as catalytic converters, oxygen sensors, and exhaust gas recirculation valves.

Defect Category
(a) Emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer: missing, obviously modified or obviously defective Major
(b) An induction or exhaust leak that could affect emissions levels Major

and

Quote:
8.2.2.1. Exhaust emission control equipment
You only need to check components that are visible and identifiable, such as diesel oxidation catalysts, diesel particulate filters, exhaust gas recirculation valves and selective catalytic reduction valves.

If a diesel particulate filter has clearly been cut open and rewelded, you should reject it unless the vehicle presenter can show evidence that there was a valid reason to cut it open, such as for filter cleaning.

Defect Category
(a) Emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer missing, obviously modified or obviously defective Major
(b) An induction or exhaust leak that could affect emissions levels Major
(c) Evidence that the diesel particulate filter has been tampered with Major
Post #935543 29th Dec 2021 5:24pm
kaney

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300969210255
I am very happy with this off e-bay no cat MOT in July so no idea yet reg regulations
Post #935560 29th Dec 2021 7:16pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
phillips321 wrote:
So blanking the EGR is also now an MOT failure?

Only if you have a picky MOT tester, same goes for the CAT on diesels, ( but we all know that ones been around for years) Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #935598 30th Dec 2021 4:12am
Procta

United Kingdom 
landy andy wrote:
Blanking or deactivating any emissions stuff is not allowed and MOT failure, IF they know it’s been done. Although most don’t care in my experience, and as most are mechanics they actually see the advantages of both, but especially the EGR delete.

I’ve got a Td5 decat pipe if you want one as I’ve now had a full system built for me that came with new down pipe.

Yeah every MOT i put my 5 through, they have passed it EGR removed and binned, the 306 with both cat and EGR removed and disabled. On that car, those items were disabled and removed 10 years ago. The mot tester removed the cat 12 years ago lol. I don't think the MOT garage even smoke tests defenders Laughing Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #935599 30th Dec 2021 4:17am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
This year my MOT man said “you should f**k that CAT off”

He was surprised when I told him it was a dummy one Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Whistle Whistle

https://demandengineering.co.uk/product/de...st-system/

As said above I’ve got the old decat down pipe if you want it.
Post #935623 30th Dec 2021 11:06am
phillips321

I’ll PM you
Post #935704 30th Dec 2021 11:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1