↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > WW1 Frontlines Tour
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
pom

WW1 Frontlines Tour
Am in the process of planning a trip early in the new year with a couple of mates, along the length of the 1918 trench line from Ostend to the swiss border.

Not done any camping (like the 5 * hotels too much!)so am looking at a roof tent, what other kit should I be looking at collecting with regards to camping. What cookers do people recomend ? I'll have euro breakdown insurance but should I take any 'just in case' spares for the 90 ?

Anyone done anything similar ? Any advice appreciated.

Pom
Post #88487 11th Sep 2011 10:04am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
do you want to camp and cook? assuming yes, a roof tent is great but you'll need a tarp / awning as well. I would forget the 500 quid howling moon type affairs, you can buy box alloy the length of your roof, put a bolt in each end sticking up and get a tarp to match (or get the tarp first). then just get cheap poles and guys and jobs a good un. total cost for mine was less than 30 quid.

cooking wise, coleman duel fuel stoves are great (two ring burners) but they run better on Aspen 4T than they do on unleaded and you should take a spare generator (sounds expensive but its just a steel tube with a needle, about 12 quid). the best cooking pots in my experience are zebra. you ll need a water carrier (or just buy packs of bottled water). decent camp chair (hanging a down jacket on the back of it and tying the base underneath so it wraps round gives good insulation and keeps you warm).

I can never really be arsed these days to chop onions and all that so I just take the (brilliant) packs from "look what we found". the chilli is excellent for example. put a bag and a bag of rice in 3 inches of cold water. bring to the boil and time for ten mins.

clothes, vehicle spares, waterproofs, toolkit and socket set, some coolant, engine oil (you can get anything else there if you need it anyway)

take a headtorch and spare batteries, that's pretty much it unless youre a kitchen sink kind of person.
Post #88492 11th Sep 2011 10:32am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
and a decent sleeping bag of course. get one for a far colder temp than you expect. you can always unzip it. down is best for this kind of thing as you wont be getting it wet. keep it uncompressed for storage, not in its small bag. good brands are PHD Designs, Helsport, Mountain Equipment, North Face
Post #88493 11th Sep 2011 10:36am
pom

thanks for the advice.

Do the stoves leak at all or smell of petrol when stored ? I guess they will get rattled around a lot.

Pom
Post #88498 11th Sep 2011 11:19am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
no shouldnt leak but its best to drain the tank back into your carrier for driving. I use a rotopax one gallon pack but you can use any fuel bottle really. if you dont drain the tank you do lose a lot through evaporation/depressurising
Post #88499 11th Sep 2011 11:26am
pom

are the jetboil systems any good ?

They seem very fast to heat up and its a nice sealed gas unit ?

Pom
Post #88504 11th Sep 2011 11:37am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
yes, perfect for brews but poor for cooking
Post #88508 11th Sep 2011 11:53am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Hi Pom,
For one off short trips you can get a cheap gas ccoker that is like a briefcase with simple canisters that pop in from Hafords or Blacks (or simmilar). these are very reliable, burn clean and don't have issues with leaking fluids etc..

We camp a lot with the wagon and found that in Europe we only usualy cook a light breakfast of porrage, and a main meal in the evening as we travel through towns and stop at the odd cafe or tea shop for a light lunch, or buy bread and cheese/fruit to eat as a picnic.

enjoy!!!
(keep us posted on your trip plans as it sounds like a great route) Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #88512 11th Sep 2011 12:15pm
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
Get a pop up gazebo around £60 off ebay, it will fit alongside the rooftent on the roof bars, easier and cheaper than an awning

Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #88518 11th Sep 2011 12:30pm
pom

what a great idea, I have 2 in the shed. Thanks!

Pom
Post #88553 11th Sep 2011 4:30pm
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
Offset the rooftent and it fits alongside

Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper

Last edited by willy eckerslike on 11th Sep 2011 6:52pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #88554 11th Sep 2011 4:44pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I have one of these;

http://www.busyoutdoors.com/cadac-safari-chef-lpg/p69

Not the smallest but so versatile. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #88570 11th Sep 2011 6:46pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I've got one of those Safari Chefs' too, and agree they're excellent.

Given that you're route is through relatively civilised western Europe for what I assume is a two or three week jaunt, you really don't need to go mad with camping gear that's overspecified.

For a stove, choose something that's both convenient to use and to store. Ones that use disposable gas cylinders are perfectly adequate on both counts. Alternatively, you could choose one that connects to a larger Camping Gaz cylinder, which is very widely available. Dual fuel stoves are great if you're travelling to the back of beyond and want the flexibility that they afford in terms of fuel availability. However, as your Land Rover is almost certainly diesel, that benefit is lost and you'd end up carrying a jerry can for petrol too.

For pots and pans, for the last ten years I've been using the same Tefal camping pan set. They're light weight, non-stick and have proved to be very tough. They can be had for less than £40.

A Land Rover with a roof tent always looks the part, but isn't the only solution. Don't underestimate the comfort and convenience of a ground tent that you can stand up in. I'm not necessarily talking about Oztents either. There are many modern tents that are cheaper, lighter and smaller when packed than a roof tent whilst offering a lot more living space. The compromise is that they may take a few more minutes to set up, but you won't fall out of them when you need a pee in the middle of the night.

I wouldn't go vehicle based camping without a fridge. The convenience of milk for your tea, marg for your sandwiches and the occasional cold beer makes it a must for me. Again though, it doesn't necessarily have to be a £1000 Engel. I've used a National Luna compressor fridge freezer on a few trips and it was excellent. However, I've also used a much cheaper three way camping fridge and that was perfectly adequate too. Running off 12v whilst driving and gas (which can be shared with your stove) when parked, I completed a three week trip to Morocco in this fashion without any problems.

As mentioned above, a comfortable chair is very important and a table is also extremely useful. If you do go for a ground tent then Thermorest self-inflating matresses are excellent. A decent sleeping bag is a must. My wife and I use Rab ones, which are superb, if somewhat expensive. It's the one area that's not worth compromising though, IMHO, as a poor nights' sleep will ruin the experience. Don't laugh, but take a hot water bottle too.

Other than that, little things can make all of the difference: take a flask that you fill at bed time for an instant tea or coffee in the morning. A stack of paper plates takes up very little room and saves on the washing up. Some stackable crates with lids can keep your kit neat and tidy. Pack the vehicle in such a way that the things you need first to set up camp are those closest to the doors. Pack so that things don't rattle! Practice loading before you go so that there is a place for everything.

Consider fitting a dog guard. Not only does it give greater flexibility when packing, it also means that in the unlikely event of an accident, all the kit in the back will stay in the back and not go flying around the cabin.

Choice of camping kit can be a very personal thing and there isn't really a right or wrong answer - only what works for you. My philosophy has always been to make life easy and, within practical limits, to camp in comfort. Just think about all of the things that you need to be able to do - cooking, washing, sleeping, eating, etc - and work out how you are going to do them with the minimum of faffing around.

Whilst it may be a little overkill for a European trip, if you fancy a bit of light reading on the subject then I can recommend Tom Sheppards' 'Vehicle Dependant Expedition Guide'. Very thorough and very easy to read.

Hope some this helps. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #88778 12th Sep 2011 11:11pm
shazzy90

try to use a stove with cans of gas,bottled gas over there uses a different regulator ,as i found out ended up having to buy a small 1 ring stove with 5 cans of gas,which i still use back home
Post #89133 14th Sep 2011 7:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1