↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > R380 Gearbox Oil Leak - Output Shaft
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
R380 Gearbox Oil Leak - Output Shaft
I've got a fairly substantial oil leak from the rear of the gearbox in my 2005 110. It's definitely the gear box as opposed to the transfer box - the oil doesn't smell of EP90 and the transfer box oil level remains where it should whilst the gear oil is reducing.

Obviously the first thing to do is check that the breather isn't clogged but next step will be to drop the transfer box out and change the seal on the output shaft of the gearbox. Does anyone have any tips or advice for refitting the new seal, or indeed any other jobs that I should do whilst the transfer box is on the floor?

Looking at the Ashcrofts website, these are the seals I think I need but could anyone please confirm if that's correct? https://ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/product/r-380-oil-seals/

According to Google the part no is FTC500010 or but Ashcrofts don't list the part nos.

Thanks in advance, Harry 2005 Td5 110 Hardtop
1989 300Tdi 90 Soft top
1992 200Tdi 90 Truck cab with Land Cruiser axles
Post #933649 15th Dec 2021 11:20am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
You can replace this seal with the box on the vehicle. Drop the transfer box, remove the seal and replace with the new seal. To make sure the seal does not get damaged whilst going across the splines use a piece of OHP/acetate film rolled in to a tube, place over the shaft, slide the seal up over it and tap into place.

Obviosly if the shaft has nasty wear grooves in it then this repair will not work. Also whilst there check for play in the support bearings. If there is play, then there is the reason for the leaking seal.

Then it is a case of refurb'ing the box.

Thumbs Up
Post #933650 15th Dec 2021 11:39am
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Whilst you have it off I would change the input seal on the LT230 anyway as you might well damage it when removing the TB anyway. To access the seal to change it on the R380 you really need to remove the seal collar from the output shaft which can be an absolute Censored to remove (I broke my puller getting it off mine recently).

I have quite a few bits left over from my rebuild which includes an R380 Output seal, LT230 input seal and a seal collar which can be sent your way if you would like Thumbs Up All came from Ashcrofts.

Cheers,
Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #933651 15th Dec 2021 11:40am
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
Hi Geobloke and Steve,

Thank you very much for your replies Thumbs Up , the acetate film is a really good idea, I'll be sure to do that but do plan on leaving the main gearbox in the vehicle and just dropping the T-box to sort the problem.

The gearbox itself was rebuilt by a well known firm about 3 years ago and hasn't covered more than 30k since then so i am hoping it is just a dodgy seal and not the support bearings, I did opt for the bearing upgrade at the time of ordering, along with the V8 5th gear ratio. Fingers crossed it may just be a blocked breather but I'm preparing for the worst Confused

Part of me says to order a recon transfer box whilst it's out as the original has done 140k but that's my inner tart wanting an ATB and a change to a 1.3 ratio Whistle

Steve - I will pop you a PM about those parts but yes please if you don't mind Very Happy I'll try and find someone local with a hefty puller should it come to that!

Thanks once again, Harry 2005 Td5 110 Hardtop
1989 300Tdi 90 Soft top
1992 200Tdi 90 Truck cab with Land Cruiser axles
Post #933656 15th Dec 2021 12:03pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
On the LT77, there is a collar on the main shaft that has a radial groove with sharp edges. One side of the collar would seal the LT230 and other side of the collar seals the LT77. I used a bit of electrical tape to get the seal past that groove. The main shaft splines are quite small OD so no risk of damage there.
I believe the R380 is not that different there.
Remember that main seal lip with the garter spring should be on the oil side. If dual lip, the small lip on the outside, and make sure you have some good grease between the lips. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #933661 15th Dec 2021 1:13pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
geobloke wrote:
You can replace this seal with the box on the vehicle. Drop the transfer box, remove the seal and replace with the new seal. To make sure the seal does not get damaged whilst going across the splines use a piece of OHP/acetate film rolled in to a tube, place over the shaft, slide the seal up over it and tap into place.

Obviosly if the shaft has nasty wear grooves in it then this repair will not work. Also whilst there check for play in the support bearings. If there is play, then there is the reason for the leaking seal.

Then it is a case of refurb'ing the box.

Thumbs Up

Just to confirm that you can replace the output seal easily with the R380 still in the vehicle. These are not my photos as I seem to have filed them away somewhere odd, but you get the idea...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #933667 15th Dec 2021 1:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1