↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > V8 gear shifts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lazurus

United Kingdom 
V8 gear shifts
Anyone notice that the gear shifts higher up the rev range (red line) the harder you press the throttle, even in comfort mode? I find this a bit weird, understand it in dynamic mode but didn’t expect the rpm gear shift trigger to change dependent on the weight applied to the gas pedal.[/img]
Post #933174 11th Dec 2021 10:12am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
That’s how every automatic I’ve ever driven behaves really…

With a modern auto you really have to think of the throttle pedal as more of a “power” pedal rather than anything simply throttle-connected. More power needs (often quite a bit) more rpm in a petrol engine in particular.

That being said exactly how it’s calibrated does make a difference to the feel. Our diesel Land Cruiser 200 revs its nuts off unnecessarily whereas I remember our disco 4 used to always just trickle along in as low a gear as possible pretty much.

Haven’t driven a P525 but my p400e defender, when you get the engine engaged is very rev-happy too. I guess Land Rover think that people like the sound of the V8! Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #933175 11th Dec 2021 10:37am
Herdwick

Cant say I have noticed it at all, drives just as I would have expected.

(Maybe I am not trying hard enough), just coming up to 1k miles in mine.
Post #933180 11th Dec 2021 11:57am
lazurus

United Kingdom 
Cheshire110 wrote:
That’s how every automatic I’ve ever driven behaves really…

With a modern auto you really have to think of the throttle pedal as more of a “power” pedal rather than anything simply throttle-connected. More power needs (often quite a bit) more rpm in a petrol engine in particular.

That being said exactly how it’s calibrated does make a difference to the feel. Our diesel Land Cruiser 200 revs its nuts off unnecessarily whereas I remember our disco 4 used to always just trickle along in as low a gear as possible pretty much.

Haven’t driven a P525 but my p400e defender, when you get the engine engaged is very rev-happy too. I guess Land Rover think that people like the sound of the V8!

Yes it’s odd, most cars I have driven the pressure applied to the gas pedal didn’t change the gear change rpm unless a given mode is selected. But in comfort mode I wasn’t expecting it to go “well if you apply quarter peddle I will change at 3000rpm but if you apply full peddle I will change at 7000rpm”. Seems excessively “revvy” to me in a mode that I would have thought to be more relaxed.
Post #933299 12th Dec 2021 5:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1