Home > Maintenance & Modifications > New noise diagnosis
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
balmybaldwin

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Buckingham Blue
New noise diagnosis
Hello,

My 90 has developed a new noise, and ws hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

The sound is a "clunk" type noise not unlike an empty tupperware box sliding around and clonking into the sides of the loading bay (This was my first suspect, but now tupperware box is removed I still get the noise).

It is different from the more mechanical noise (which I presume is normal) from dropping off a curb

It seems to happen as the body has a bit of roll. Pretty sure it is on the rear left corner.

I only hear the noise at low speed e.g. manoevering slowly over uneven ground. Steering quickly left/right at 15mph ish doesn't make the noise

I assume it's play in a bushing somewhere, but they all look pretty good (to my untrained eye)

Anti Roll bar has a bit of rust and the plasticised cover has split a bit on the rear left corner, but wouldn't expect it to be making noise due to this
Shock bushings?
Rear Cross Member..?. Not in bad nick, but I know it needs doing in the next couple of year
Post #925977 16th Oct 2021 7:01pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Check nothing in battery box under seat.

Then I’d be thinking anti rollbar link bushes.
Post #926011 16th Oct 2021 11:25pm
donmacn

A common one (I’ll be replacing mine in the next two or three weeks) is the A frame ball joint on the rear axle - assuming your car has one?

It can make a knocking noise in odd places. Because the other end of that A frame is fixed to the chassis it can appear to make ……………. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #926016 16th Oct 2021 11:44pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
As above, in addition to the ball joint there is the two link bushes to the chassis that can go too.
Best to get under it and give it a pull around, on mine I could actually tell that it was the culprit because you could feel the knock when you pulled it about.
I got the ball joint and the two other bushes replaced at the same time and all good now. Tell tale was a sporadic rattling at about 15mph on rough surface roads like a rural lane.
Failing that check damper bushes and bonnet hinge bushes those can do it too.

All I’d suggest is pull the components driven by hand and feel plus listen for movement in different components. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #926019 17th Oct 2021 1:52am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
From another site I found a good way to test the A frame ball joint.

“with the handbrake applied rock vehicle back and forth while laying underneath and you should see any movement present and this will also show play in the link arms too.”

Worth a try but be on level ground , wheels on ground with the handbrake on.

If it is the A frame gwyn Lewis has them back in stock. https://gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/product/a-frame...inc-bolts/
Post #926045 17th Oct 2021 11:18am
balmybaldwin

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Buckingham Blue
Thanks all... after finding some significant movement in the suspension bushes I have now had them replaced on all 4 corners... has made the car much "tighter" to drive which is nice, but sure enough as I took it home, I hear that familiar unidentified "clonk" again. Laughing

I'm going to strip every item out of it that could possibly moving... dog crate, jack tools etc and go see if I can find it
Post #932605 6th Dec 2021 12:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1