↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Panoramic Windows - Did you DIY???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
karlp606

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Firenze Red
Panoramic Windows - Did you DIY???
So my next major install I think is going to be panoramic windows - I'm still torn between panoramic windows and tinted slideys, as mine is a county van currently.

I was wanting to gauge peoples experiences in fitting and quality as seen products with Masai 4x4 and VGS.

Did anyone do a DIY install or was it done by masai/vgs?
Post #932030 1st Dec 2021 1:40pm
jim4244

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
The Alpine lights make a huge difference in the rear of my 90. Previous Defenders I owned didn’t have them but my current one has factory installed ones.

A very worthwhile modification in my eyes.

Jim
Post #932032 1st Dec 2021 1:44pm
karlp606

I've got alpine windows already installed but the previous owner decided to get them over sprayed in black!!! So im trying to figure out if I can somehow get the paint off or bite the bullet and buy new glass.
Post #932033 1st Dec 2021 1:49pm
MichaelE

England 
I fitted VGS ones myself and by myself. It was on a 90 so handling the glass by myself wasn't a problem. I used 2 4-point glass sucker handle things on the sides. I did not want to trust 3 or 2 point suckers. Can't remember if I used 1 on the rears or just hand held.

Overall it wasn't too bad but I had to put a lot of thought in to the whole process to ensure it didn't go wrong. You only get one chance to get it right as you only have a few seconds before the adhesive takes hold and stops the glass from moving. I say a few seconds - it may even be 20 or 30 - I can't say exactly as I had the glass in position within 5 to 10 or so seconds and it was holding in place by then. The adhesive is thick and needs to be warmed to save your hands trying to squeeze it out. Have lots of rags handy, and wear vinyl gloves. I wish I could remember the solvent I used to clean up but I can't.

A major problem that I had was the poor instructions involving several emails to clarify misc points. In fact, I pointed out to them some photos with the wrong captions and they said that in the 4 or 5 years selling them, I was the first person to notice. They were very helpful though.

I clamped some metal strips to the rear corners to use as guides for positioning the rear edges of the side glass, and then the rear glass. One thing that I had to clarify with VGS was how do the edges of the side and rear glass meet. They don't overlap i.e. neither glass protrudes beyond the body. The glass must not touch either - there must be a small gap. If the glass touches then body movement during driving could crack it. You then finish the join with a bevel of adhesive. Minimise the gap between the glass to keep the bevel small and neat. I had a gap of about 1mm.

That's mostly it. I've looked at several others whilst at the Land Rover shows last summer and my effort is equal to all those that I saw, and most of them were probably professionally fitted.
Post #932047 1st Dec 2021 4:22pm
balmybaldwin

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Buckingham Blue
karlp606 wrote:
I've got alpine windows already installed but the previous owner decided to get them over sprayed in black!!! So im trying to figure out if I can somehow get the paint off or bite the bullet and buy new glass.

Try some acetone and a nylon brush dremel attachment or something a bit more abraisive... you might scratch the glass a bit, but this can be fixed with a headlight polishing paste and some elbow grease
Post #932610 6th Dec 2021 1:55pm
karlp606

thanks for the advice, Im wanting to do this and try to get the paint off, I was going to set up a bath of acetone/paint thinners and leave the glass in overnight, only problem is I'll have no alpine windows for a day or so :/.

Or I bite the bullet and just buy some new glass...?
Post #932611 6th Dec 2021 2:04pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
It is said that steel wool will not scratch glass.
But DO NOT use Scotch Brite... that DOES scratch glass. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #932622 6th Dec 2021 3:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1