↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Faults & Fixes (L663) > Defender wouldn't start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dizeeduckie

United Kingdom 
Defender wouldn't start
After being parked for around 24hrs, I got in the car, pressed start everything came on.... except the engine.

All the dash lit-up and everything looked normal, but there was no effort to start the engine. After 10 seconds or so everything would shut down (like the ignotion turning off - all the "turning off" animation of the dials etc). I tried several times, but each time the same thing happened.

I called LR assist who said it would be around 2hrs.

Weirdly, after about 20mins I tried it again and it started.

So I'm assuming it was some sort of computer error. Like the part of the program that starts the engine didn't boot-up properly. Once it had fully shut down and restarted, it was all fine.

Anyone else had this issue? Do you think it's worth raising with my dealer/LR?
Post #931386 27th Nov 2021 10:57am
simonbirt

United Kingdom 
I have had this problem a few times now. On two occasions, I needed multiple attempts (3 or 4) before the car would start. On the most recent occasion, it wouldn't start after 7 or 8 attempts. Eventually I tried starting the car using remote start from the app, which worked immediately. Having started it once like this, it then started normally on the button.

It's something I plan to mention to the dealer in the new year - it's a pretty frustrating fault!
Post #935262 27th Dec 2021 11:14am
Tim in Scotland

Is it a diesel engined Defender and was it cold outside - less than 5C? Could be that you are not giving the glow plugs long enough to react before thinking it has failed to start. In normal weather mine starts instantly on pushing the button in the car, on a cold day it will do everything you describe and then I have to wait 10 secs or sometimes a little longer and then it starts. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #935265 27th Dec 2021 12:24pm
Blacksheep

It could be the app?
I had a similar problem, deleted the app and no more problems!
Leaving the app off for now.
Might be worth a try… Time is precious, waste it wisely...

Defender 90 D200
Post #935275 27th Dec 2021 1:03pm
mmbanf

Italy 
Hello,
I had this problem once when I used the remote starter app, the remote car started, then when I opened the door it turned off and the button didn't start anymore ......
as suggested in other discussions, I locked the car with the remote control, waited five minutes, opened the car and it started normally.
Post #935303 27th Dec 2021 5:15pm
dizeeduckie

United Kingdom 
Ahhh... this could definitely be it.

I had used the remote start but the app said there were connection problems. When I got to the car about 10 mins later, the engine wasn't running and it wouldn't start.

But after locking the car for about 5 mins then trying again, it worked fine. And there's been no problem since.

It did feel like a "computer says no" moment rather than a mechanical fault.
Post #935769 31st Dec 2021 4:06pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
Same problem as me https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic80734.html Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #935805 31st Dec 2021 8:58pm
simonbirt

United Kingdom 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Is it a diesel engined Defender and was it cold outside - less than 5C? Could be that you are not giving the glow plugs long enough to react before thinking it has failed to start. In normal weather mine starts instantly on pushing the button in the car, on a cold day it will do everything you describe and then I have to wait 10 secs or sometimes a little longer and then it starts.

Yes, it's a D250, and yes, it was cool out - around 6C. However I did wait at least 10 secs after pressing the button and the car didn't start. This morning it's 2C and the car started within 2 secs on the first try. It's very odd.
Post #936398 5th Jan 2022 9:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1