↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Anyone else been Storm Arwened?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Anyone else been Storm Arwened?
We are in the East Lancs Pennines. Have had no electric for 15 hours and no sign of it being reconnected any time soon. Can't get hold of Electricity North West so don't even know if they know we are off. Most of our neighbours are unaffected. Got the log burner working overtime to keep us warm tonight.

Lost a few slates off the roof too and one of our trees has split down the trunk too. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #931460 27th Nov 2021 7:32pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Oooo lost power for a bit. Mobile signal has been terrible all day if there at all, it has been blissful Rolling Eyes Loads of trees down around Llangollen. Apart from that not too bad.

It will be interesting to see how much the beaches of the north west have changed during next weeks surveys... Shocked
Post #931465 27th Nov 2021 7:43pm
Barneyboy

England 1986 Defender 90 2.5 n/a Diesel ST Nato Green
Yep, we had a very interesting drive from Oxfordshire to Bala this morning lots of trees down between knockin and Bala and over the mountain pass that drops down in to Bala, we passed 6 or 7 cars that were stuck in the snow Tasha’s little Aygo was amazing the tc was lit up like a Christmas tree but it didn’t falter at all I’m assuming as it’s very light, then got to my sisters cottage and the power was off so we went to Dolgellau lots of trees and power lines down enroute had a bite to eat in The Ship then back , but power still off, coat’s and hat’s on as it was 6* power came back on at 5:00 fair play to them they must of really had there work cut out today chilling with a bottle of wine now. Hope everyone has kept safe Thumbs Up cheers Paul
Post #931471 27th Nov 2021 8:16pm
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
Pretty wild up here in Aberdeenshire. No power since 4pm yesterday. 80,000 houses lost power last night. Found a use for spare defender battery. Scout campsite took a massive hit. BBC totally oblivious..

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #931482 27th Nov 2021 8:53pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
where i live, got it hard.. We have a few trees down, one cut off one of the major roads into sunderland. We lost our back door guard, for the wash house. The wind blew to pieces, and all whats left is a pieces of frame. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #931513 28th Nov 2021 3:06am
Bluest

Power still off here, nearly 30 hours now. Contents of the freezer will be going for scrap today.

I did manage to get hold of ENW late last night, they weren't aware of any faults in my area so I'll be a long way down the list. They said don't expect it back on today.

It's amazing how many logs you get through when it's your only source of heat. I thought we had a reasonable stockpile, ready for the zombie apocalypse, but I reckon its only about a week's worth in winter temps based on yesterday. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #931523 28th Nov 2021 10:18am
Bluest

Scotm wrote:
Pretty wild up here in Aberdeenshire. No power since 4pm yesterday. 80,000 houses lost power last night. Found a use for spare defender battery. Scout campsite took a massive hit. BBC totally oblivious..

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

On the bright side, there's a good boost to your firewood stocks right there 👍 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #931524 28th Nov 2021 10:20am
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
Re: Anyone else been Storm Arwened?
Bluest wrote:
We are in the East Lancs Pennines. Have had no electric for 15 hours and no sign of it being reconnected any time soon. Can't get hold of Electricity North West so don't even know if they know we are off. Most of our neighbours are unaffected. Got the log burner working overtime to keep us warm tonight.

Lost a few slates off the roof too and one of our trees has split down the trunk too.

Where are you based? I am in Rossendale and I have heard of a few trees down (a crane was picking one from the roof a house on the road into Bury) but not heard of anything else.

Hope you have got everything sorted now.

Mick
Post #931525 28th Nov 2021 10:24am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Barneyboy wrote:
Yep, we had a very interesting drive from Oxfordshire to Bala this morning lots of trees down between knockin and Bala and over the mountain pass that drops down in to Bala, we passed 6 or 7 cars that were stuck in the snow Tasha’s little Aygo was amazing the tc was lit up like a Christmas tree but it didn’t falter at all I’m assuming as it’s very light, then got to my sisters cottage and the power was off so we went to Dolgellau lots of trees and power lines down enroute had a bite to eat in The Ship then back , but power still off, coat’s and hat’s on as it was 6* power came back on at 5:00 fair play to them they must of really had there work cut out today chilling with a bottle of wine now. Hope everyone has kept safe Thumbs Up cheers Paul

Blimey Paul, you drove right past my house and didn't stop in for a brew... How rude.. Rolling with laughter

It is a beautiful day today after the blow, not many leaves left on the trees and I can see white stuff on the hills too. Enjoy your Welsh getaway Thumbs Up
Post #931526 28th Nov 2021 10:59am
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Thankfully no damage at home, but the Yorkshire Dales Sailing Club club where I dinghy sail took a battering.

57MPG gusts in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Several tiles blown off the clubhouse roof, a dozen or so dinghies blown over in the boat park (badly tied down by their owners) and our floating pontoon broke free of its securing cable and was partially blown onto the shore. A bunch of us spent a few hours there yesterday tidying up.

The club has been without power since yesterday afternoon and due to the windchill, all activity cancelled for today.
Post #931530 28th Nov 2021 11:15am
Bluest

Mossberg wrote:
Bluest wrote:

Lost a few slates off the roof too and one of our trees has split down the trunk too.

Where are you based? I am in Rossendale and I have heard of a few trees down (a crane was picking one from the roof a house on the road into Bury) but not heard of anything else.

Mick

I'm in Whitworth. I spoke to me neighbour earlier. There are just 3 houses off here which is weird. There's a house between mine and his that has power, but we don't. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #931532 28th Nov 2021 11:27am
Mini Landie

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Belize Green
I don't mean to downplay what's happened elsewhere around the country but down here in North Hampshire someone's wheelie bin across the road from me blew over. 2003 90 TD5 Hardtop
Post #931539 28th Nov 2021 12:19pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
There we go again with the north south divide Rolling Eyes
Post #931548 28th Nov 2021 1:14pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Bluest wrote:
Mossberg wrote:
Bluest wrote:

Mick

I'm in Whitworth. I spoke to me neighbour earlier. There are just 3 houses off here which is weird. There's a house between mine and his that has power, but we don't.

Simple answer to that Bluest. The electricity supply is three phases (three live conductors with a common neutral/earth. The cable is spliced every time they get to a property. 99.8% of houses have a single phase supply so you get a connection from one of these three live cables and a connection to the the common neutral/earth. Your phase or live cable has a fault or the fuse has blown, whereas your neighbour will be supplied off one of the other two live cable cores.

We got away very lightly in Norfolk, although there had been warnings of damaging wind. We are stuck out in the North Sea and we sometimes catch damaging winds straight from the north as there is nothing much to stop them.

I hope you all get back on to electricity soon. It's not until you have a power cut do you realise how much we rely on the stuff every day. Especially when you keep switching the light switches as you enter the room Rolling Eyes It is just habit Smile
Post #931556 28th Nov 2021 2:06pm
Barneyboy

England 1986 Defender 90 2.5 n/a Diesel ST Nato Green
[quote="geobloke"]
Barneyboy wrote:

Blimey Paul, you drove right past my house and didn't stop in for a brew... How rude.. Rolling with laughter

It is a beautiful day today after the blow, not many leaves left on the trees and I can see white stuff on the hills too. Enjoy your Welsh getaway Thumbs Up[/quote

Haha really Thumbs Up we spotted a few land rovers out and about, we really do love it up here, we’re located at the foot of Aran Fawddwy and am just looking up at the snow as I write this, I walked in to The Eagles at llanuwchllyn for a cheeky pint but unfortunately it is closed at present due to C19, it has been a lovely morning although the sky looks full of it again, hopefully if it does, snow again it is before Friday as we are then driving down through Wales ( Rhayader Llandrindod Wells, Builth, Crickhowell Abergavenny) to go to our friends farm on Exmoor for a long weekend, keep safe all cheers Paul
Post #931568 28th Nov 2021 3:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>