↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Alive Gtb450 review
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Alive Gtb450 review
Due to offer I couldn’t refuse on my work td5 I sold it and my old one came out of retirement. I’d run an alive Hybrid for over 4 years and 65000 trouble free miles. I tow heavy frequently and soon missed it. So I rang Alive to order another. They had just released there new vnt, and after much discussion I opted for the smaller Gtb450 very similar to the Hybrid, but a lot more torque, especially lower down. I had it fitted in July. It was great day out but was unfortunately cut short as the mapping was hampered by a slipping clutch.(6 month old valeo) I left with a new hd clutchfix kit and a promise of a another free dyno session once the clutch was fitted and bedded in
After the new clutch was fitted I must admit I was a little underwhelmed, yes it was quick and very smooth, but just a bit flat. Where was the reassuring kick in the back I’m used to?? I’d pull out to overtake but bottle it and decide better of it.
It took several months of driving for it to eventually click. There is no kick because it’s already going. It’s effortless, so much so you don’t realise your already doing 10-20mph faster than you thought.The Vnt was conning me, basically due to the zero lag. Now I’ve reprogrammed my brain I’m absolutely loving it. Daily driving is alot more relaxing due to almost always being on point, and the lack or need to change gear, but towing is where it’s true strength is. It might sound odd but the more weight the better !!!
Roll on to last week and I went back to Alive hq for it to be properly set up. This turned into almost another full day. There were numerous runs, tweaks and test drives before the set up I wanted and Gary was sure he couldn’t smooth out anymore was agreed, all totally free of charge.
I now have smoke free , 214 bhp and 470 nm of torque which peaks at 2070rpm which is pretty amazing considering it’s covered 190000 miles and a 16 year old Landrover !!
Post #930540 20th Nov 2021 11:10pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
That sounds like a super upgrade. Always wanted a VNT turbo in Miffy. The only thing to be wary of is the 470Nm of torque your engine is now producing, be gentle on your R380 (380Nm) gearbox. Having said that I would still fit one to my engine. Love how the VNT works in our Freelander 2 TD4, like you say a delight to drive with no lag. Thumbs Up
Post #930585 21st Nov 2021 2:17pm
barbel jim

Hence the 450 not the 550 Thumbs Up it’s a workhorse, reliably was number one priority, I’m also realistic, I’m not going to out drag anything from the lights towing 3 ton !! It doesn’t smoke and certainly no popcorn limiter !! I rarely go past 3000rpm, with the vnt there isn’t really any need, which also means it ticked all the boxes for upgrading.
I was very undecided on the vnt,as the vnt on the 2.2 I had was one of the things that made it so dull!
It did take me a few months to adjust and appreciate it, but it’s the low down pick up that is amazing. In fact the map that’s on it now, actually has less torque and bhp than what was achieved on the initial set up, but the torque comes in at lower rpm, perfect for my needs. I was really surprised at the difference and just what they can do. Modern tuning is a lot different to my cossie days in the 90s!!
Post #930590 21st Nov 2021 3:05pm
Zimblewinder

Australia 2000 Defender 130 2.5 TD HCPU Chawton White
thanks for the info. I am interested in a VNT on my 130 and an appropriate tune and the torque profile sounds great. I was recommended tunes for torque for the extra weight. What tune do you run with it? Ill have to remember yours for a chat with Alive.

Thanks
Dale
Post #932382 4th Dec 2021 10:03am
barbel jim

Alive will make you a bespoke map for your needs. Ultimately each engine is different, and the differences will be the restricting factors on the tune. Injectors seem to be the biggest variable, but also one of the costliest to replace. For me , the drive is far more important than the numbers, that it produces on test. For me it delivers exactly what I wanted….. I really appreciate that low rpm grunt and zero lag it is seriously impressive Thumbs Up
Speak to them I’m sure you won’t be disappointed
Post #932472 5th Dec 2021 10:37am
kenzle8a

Very tempted to go down this route for towing, what other supporting mods have you got? What is the rough cost of the conversion if you don’t mind sharing?
Post #932533 5th Dec 2021 7:13pm
mark1200

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
10 years ago my 90 got treated to an Alive stage two remap, i removed the cat and fitted a full Alive stainless exhaust also a full size intercooler, it also makes sense to have free flowing air filter. Lots of power and plenty of torque big smile when driving and no fear of overtaking even up hill Very Happy A few months ago i had an alive remap refresh and there is a noticeable difference as they have had 10 years to improve there maps and the power delivery is very smooth. I would recommend if your thinking of having a remap done talk to Alive tuning as you wont be disappointed Thumbs Up
Post #932639 6th Dec 2021 5:24pm
barbel jim

lord-haggis wrote:
Very tempted to go down this route for towing, what other supporting mods have you got? What is the rough cost of the conversion if you don’t mind sharing?

M’lord Laughing
I’ve owned the truck from 6 months old. She’s worked for a living bar the last 4 years when the wife had her as a daily. Ive uprated bits as replacements when needed, regular oil changes with genuine filters. All the running gear is original, same head gasket/gearbox etc. now on her 4th clutch and 191k miles. Regularly tows 3+ ton plant and materials.For the last 10 years she ran a standard turbo with an serck uprated intercooler , demand full stainless exhaust and strong Alive remap.
In essence I only needed the alive vnt, however it became apparent that an uprated clutch was needed. The valeo is supposedly rated for 450nm but a 9 month old 4000 mile one couldn’t cope with the extra torque and when it came in so I had to purchase an uprated clutch as well. I went with clutchfix….. find it not as heavy as the lof version, and for towing stick with a dual mass flywheel.
Price wise … best speak to Martin at Alive, he’ll go through everything with you and price it up…. Thumbs Up
I’ve also replaced the standard air intake from the wing to 4” straight through. Not sure exactly if there’s a benefit some say yes others no, but tested on the rolllers against a performance cone filter no difference. I personally prefer drawing cold air from the wing
To be honest I think it’s priceless….. I loved her before the vnt, and was very sceptical due to the dullness of the 2.2 and it’s vnt. It has transformed the drive, and I honestly wouldn’t go back! it’s all so effortless, less gear changes and no need to hold the rpm so high.
Post #932658 6th Dec 2021 7:06pm
Paulo RB

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 110 Td5 Heritage LE Bronze Green
mark1200 wrote:
10 years ago my 90 got treated to an Alive stage two remap, i removed the cat and fitted a full Alive stainless exhaust also a full size intercooler, it also makes sense to have free flowing air filter. Lots of power and plenty of torque big smile when driving and no fear of overtaking even up hill Very Happy A few months ago i had an alive remap refresh and there is a noticeable difference as they have had 10 years to improve there maps and the power delivery is very smooth. I would recommend if your thinking of having a remap done talk to Alive tuning as you wont be disappointed Thumbs Up

Agreed on the team at Alive, they’ve transformed my 110 Heritage, full intercooler, stage two chip, full length SS exhaust without cat; 66% increase in torque, 52% increase in BHP. She rips along now. Paul RB
Post #932910 8th Dec 2021 10:47pm
barbel jim

Well nearly another 20k on the clock since the 450vnt was fitted and totally trouble free, I popped down to Billing yesterday and met up with Gary for a quick check up, and all is spot on. I can honestly say I’m still just as impressed as I was when it was originally fitted.
One noticeable benefit, especially in these times of stupid diesel cost is how my mpg has improved. It is down to how you drive it, but due to the torque, there are an awful lot less gear changes, and you don’t need to Rev on hold the gears as long.
Post #956582 26th Jun 2022 10:36am
lightning

United Kingdom 
Sounds good.

l had an Alive Stage 1 remap on my 2005 TD5 and it drove very well, but smoked like a tramp steamer. So much so, that the vehicle l had just overtaken was completely obliterated in white smoke.

l couldn't get any joy from Alive, the remap was done by their agent in Manchester, and he didn't respond to my emails or calls, so l had to pay £125 at Land Rover to have the ECU reset. l ended up just under £500 out of pocket for no benefit at all.

Glad you've had more success with yours.
Post #956692 27th Jun 2022 10:26pm
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Had mine done a couple of years ago by Alive themselves including new standard turbo and injectors. Full dyno setup included too. Great service and no problems since
Post #956768 28th Jun 2022 7:28pm
barbel jim

lightning wrote:
the remap was done by their agent in Manchester.

There’s the problem

You should of rang Gary at Alive HQ. He would of sorted something. I’ve been dealing with him 18 odd years and never had any issues. Mind I do always travel, firm believer in dealing with the organ winder not the monkey Whistle
Post #956853 29th Jun 2022 6:53pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
l called Alive head office and they contacted the agent, but he never got in touch.

Then l was stopped by the Rozzers and given a VRN due to the smoke, so l had to get it sorted myself. l spent some time trying to get something back from Alive and "Dasall" (as the company in Manchester was called) but had no success.

Eventually the 110 was more successfully remapped by Dynachip.

lt does seem that l am in the minority as Alive have a very good reputation but it's a shame they didn't help me out when l had an issue with their official agent.

The remap cost £360 and a further £125 for Land Rover to reset the ECU to factory settings.

I checked recently and "Dasall" appears
to be no longer in business
Post #956923 30th Jun 2022 7:01pm
chopcat

Wales 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Has anyone had a courtesy car from Alive as Im contemplating taking one of ours over but its a fair journey and will stay nearby whilst its being done?

TC
Post #956960 1st Jul 2022 7:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>