↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Rear cross member shields - getting the old one out?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MussEd

Scotland 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Baltic Blue
Rear cross member shields - getting the old one out?
Bought and fitted most of a Gwyn Lewis mudshield kit a while back. Tidying out the shed today I found a box with one side of the rear cross member shields in. It then came back to me why it was there. The original screws in the LR fitted shields (which don't shield the cross member) were firmly rusted in place. After faffing about for a bit I chucked in the towel and gave in.

Can't get my drill in to the screw (fuel filler etc in the way) so how have folk managed to get these little blighters out? Any tips greatly appreciated.
Post #929999 16th Nov 2021 6:28pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
I just ground the heads off with the grinder. Once the heads are off you can get the captive plastic bits and the remains of the screws out with a pair of pliers.

Dont even need to worry about damaging the original shield if you arnt resusing it!

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #930011 16th Nov 2021 7:37pm
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
I know you can't get in with a drill, but could you reach with a socket on an extension? One of the best uses of my impact wrench has been to break rusted in fixings. Up to M8 it will snap them - it has been a great help. You need to hold the back so it does not spin - I used a fecking tight set of mole grips.

Good luck.
Post #930029 16th Nov 2021 9:21pm
buffalo4

United Kingdom 
Mossberg,
Which Impact wrench do you use please, looking to buy one soon
Thanks Ian
Post #930030 16th Nov 2021 9:30pm
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
Hi Ian. Mine is a cheap Lidl one. It's not great as far as good quality impact wrenches are concerned, but for £70 I am more than happy with it. It's a parkside brand so you should be able to get the spec somewhere on line. I think it was £70 and that included 1 4ah battery and charger.

I think it's a great tool as it will snap the corroded M6 and M8. For some reason you seem less likely to round off the head with one and I found I could use it in places I would struggle with a spanner or a ratchet as you don't need the arc required to undo something - though obviously sometimes the length of the tool restricts where you can use it.

Another thing I have done is purchase an adaptor that will fit screw bits. I had to remove the wheel carrier off my back door (1993) and the M6 PZ3 screws were seized. Used this and it just snapped them off - saved me lots of time and grief.

It might be worth asking opinions of different makes if you are going to purchase one. I could not warrant an expensive tool due to how much I expected to use it, but as I sometimes use long and relatively large diameter screws I have used this quite a lot. It will drive in M6x125 coach screws but you have to be careful in tougher wood as it will twist the head off. My impact driver can just about drive these but slowly and not always in tough wood.

I find some of the parkside tools quite good. I have the impact wrench and sabre saw which I would class as quite good. The drill and circular saw are ok. The grinder is not good (which I expected, but t least I can have a battery grinder with me when I have the other tools as I now have three batteries).

I will get the impact driver when it's in store too.

Just one note - I would have gone for the Aldi kit but they never seem to have an impact wrench! I believe the Aldi grinder is better than the Lidl one!
Post #930039 16th Nov 2021 10:45pm
MussEd

Scotland 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Baltic Blue
rallysteve wrote:
I just ground the heads off with the grinder. Once the heads are off you can get the captive plastic bits and the remains of the screws out with a pair of pliers.

Dont even need to worry about damaging the original shield if you arnt resusing it!

Steve

Sometimes you need a slap in the face with the obvious solution to make you see sense. Thanks Steve, think I had discounted grinding them as I was worried about damaging the fixings but they all get chucked....
Post #930061 17th Nov 2021 8:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1