↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Maxtrix headlight range in Auto Matrix mode
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

Maxtrix headlight range in Auto Matrix mode
I don’t do a lot of night driving but last night had a long drive after dark on country roads and was surprised that if I left the headlights set to Manual dipping and not in the Matrix auto setting, the range of the headlights in manual dip/high beam appeared to have a very noticeably longer range than when the AHBA or Auto Matrix mode. In auto matrix mode it seems that there is about 1/3rd less range on full beam than on old fashioned do it yourself dipped high beam. Has anybody else noticed any difference between the two systems?
The Matrix in Auto mode still have a great spread and range but just don’t seem as good as the manual system. When in auto matrix no oncoming vehicle drivers flashed me in complaint and I could see the beam pattern changing quite markedly when approaching roadsigns (our roads dept has recently been out cleaning road signs so the reflections back are really good at the moment hence the Matrix system pattern changing for them!) Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #929025 8th Nov 2021 10:00am
Telemarkskier

United Kingdom 
I just thought it was my none matrix signature LED ones that were appalling poor when set in auto mode - high beam. In fact so poor that I had a light bar installed which only illuminates using the old fashioned method (I thought it had been wired so it would work on auto). Still a huge improvement on the Defender headlamp output. 2020 Defender 110 SE 240D: Fuji White.
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE
2007 Freelander2 HSE (man)
Post #933986 17th Dec 2021 12:55pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Aren’t there different conditions the beams adapt to eg if you go faster or the weather is worse? Mike
Post #934051 17th Dec 2021 9:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1