↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > 255/85 advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Grouse wrote:
Not really an accurate comparison - if you watch the video the driver of the blue 90 gunned it at the wrong spot and filled the treads with mud = loss of traction.

It was just some video I happened to have to hand.... it was not done as a test. But is a very real visual experience. 4 of us have run the Toyo MT off road, all have been unimpressed with it. I have other videos, but of course people will want to try and rubbish any such evidence if it doesn't coincide with the choice they made on their own tyres.....

Rationally you can clearly see in that video that there was a significance difference in how the two vehicles went on the same terrain. Which is not down to driver. But it is only a video to help support a statement being made, the video is not a science test.

The 90 at the top of the hill is being driven by the same person as the white 90 in the other video (a very capable and successful trials competitor). Here he stuck and is running the Toyo MTs. In fact it is the last time he ran them due to how poor they performed in such situations. This 90 has ATBs front and rear too.

?si=2ioZv9QLXMSRRr_2

Again not a scientific test.... but supports my point that in mud the Toyo is not a great choice.

This doesn't make it a bad tyre. I run some Maxxis All Terrains on my green laning Ninety. And my road tyres on my pickup are a General Grabber X3. A tyre which is quite nice on the road, but IMO is no where near as good as the KM3 in the mud either. Despite it too being called a mud terrain.

Basically it is perfectly ok to run a tyre that isn't great in the mud, so long as it fits your needs. If I was however heading to some serious mud or wanted a tyre to cope with mud, the Toyo would not be on the list as a candidate.
Post #1023785 6th Feb 2024 6:06pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
custom90steve wrote:

From what I’ve seen a lot of performance is pretty similar between brands, but it’s the longevity that is more of an issue.

Having personally got about 10 sets of tyres and access to more I'd say there is a Huge difference in performance and capability on and off road with nearly all of the tyres.

custom90steve wrote:

BFG have a really long life, the others I would doubt how long they last so it’s hard to say which option is cheaper but getting tyre sets changed is no mean feat and something I’d prefer is as least often as possible.

The prices have got hard to stomach though, but the miles they do and the size of them is not surprising! Especially with the cost of oil, transport and freight etc.

BFG offer mileage warranties in some markets, not sure if they do for the UK. The KM3 has a special soft compound and is not designed for the biggest mileages. Other tyre makers also vary compounds for different types of tyres. But I wouldn't blanket assume all BFGs will last massively longer than other brands.

But yes agree the prices are insane, which is why I don't actually own or run any BFG tyres myself. Although my brother and Uncle both have some.
Post #1023786 6th Feb 2024 6:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345