↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 110 flip up rear bench = fold flat?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
XplusYplusZ

110 flip up rear bench = fold flat?
I understand that some 110s allow the rear bench seats to flip up allowing the backrests to fold completely flat.
I am aware that some options may void this functionality.
I also learnt that some rear seats 'click' into the flat position.

Does anyone know which options allow the rear bench fold up and which options remove this function?

Cheers
Post #928770 6th Nov 2021 1:48pm
Biddenfield

United Kingdom 
Hi,

My 110 X has the 7-seat option.

This means the second-row seats slide forward and back but don't flip up like they would in the 5-seat version. I was disappointed when I first found this but then realised that it has good and bad points.

If you fold the seat backs down and push down on them HARD, they lock into position. This is not quite flat but not far off. The advantage is that the seat base is still underneath them, rather than tipped up in front. This means that the load bed is not quite flat but it is longer and reaches all the way to the back of the front seats.

The second-row seats can also be slid slightly forwards and the seat backs will then recline. There is loads of legroom in there (even compared to a D4, let along the old 110) so losing a bit by doing this doesn't seem to be a problem.

There is also no way to lose your bits and pieces into the pit of doom behind the fixed seats in the 5-seat version.

The main disadvantage I can see with the 7-seat version is that you lose the storage space under the floor of the rear loadspace.

I ended up the a 7-seat version as that was the only one available from the dealer. If I was speccing a new one, I'm not sure which I'd go with. I think it's very much 50:50.
Post #928872 7th Nov 2021 11:26am
XplusYplusZ

Thanks Biddenfield - really useful. I borrowed a 7 seater and now understand why I couldn't figure out the bench flipping thing! I was able to click the single seat into place, but never quite managed to get the double seatback in place - is there a trick to it? Must it be fully slid forwards?

I hadn't noticed, but looking at the configurator they've actually added this detail into the images. It's funny because they don't really expand on these features much when you choose the 7 seat configuration. You're right, that adjustability is a nice feature.

5 FLAT folding:

Click image to enlarge

7 slightly ANGLED folding:

Click image to enlarge
Post #928877 7th Nov 2021 11:45am
Biddenfield

United Kingdom 
I think getting it to click into place is more dependent on the weight of the person pushing down than on the technique. It does need a fair old push.

Looking at that picture, I'm not sure the 7-seat version is clicked down properly. Mine sit further down than that when they're locked in position.

I couldn't find any mention of it in the literature and spent an hour scratching my head and getting frustrated when I got it home. I found the answer after a long internet search. When I told the salesman about the lock-down feature, he was very grateful as he didn't know either.

Hey ho.
Post #928881 7th Nov 2021 11:58am
zilch

Australia 
Biddenfield wrote:

The main disadvantage I can see with the 7-seat version is that you lose the storage space under the floor of the rear loadspace.

I ended up the a 7-seat version as that was the only one available from the dealer. If I was speccing a new one, I'm not sure which I'd go with. I think it's very much 50:50.

One advantage a number of owners are finding in OZ with the 7 seater is the higher GVM
and rear axle loading. By the time you add all the options, and subsequent weight, if you tow an
"Off Road" caravan of any type, the pay load can get eaten up very quickly and push you over,
the extra 100KG you get with the 7 seater can make a subtle difference. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #929004 8th Nov 2021 1:09am
HughMartin

Scotland 
Folding the second row seats almost completely flat in a seven seater definitely has a knack to it. You need to fold the back of the seat forward until it is resting on the seat base . Then, put your elbow on the front edge of the seat back and, using all your body weight, push down. You will hear a positive click as it locks down. Alternatively, kneel on the seat back until you get the positive click I've had to show several sales people in dealerships who didn't know this. It won't be 100%flat but it's as near as damn it.

This photo show the 1st stage of folding

Click image to enlarge

This shows it after the big push down.

Click image to enlarge
Post #949442 15th Apr 2022 12:35pm
Nyali

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 2.5 TD XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Do you think that might work for a 90?
Post #949501 15th Apr 2022 9:57pm
XplusYplusZ

Firstly - Thanks to Hugh. Really useful pictures.

When I test drove a 7 seater, I found the single sided seat (40%) was easier than the double seat (60%) to click down. So if you want to test it out, try the single sided seat first.

I forgot how you release them to fold back up?

In response to Nyali:
For the 90 seats it seems like you can clip the base padding off the bench. Not sure how frequently this can be done. ie. Are the clips designed to do this, or is it only for occasional repairs?

There's a thread with photos here: https://landroverforums.com/forum/2020-def...&pid=6
Post #949923 20th Apr 2022 1:12pm
J77

Scotland 
I’ve done it once in my 90, very easy to remove but over time the clips may come loose. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #949946 20th Apr 2022 8:09pm
haymeister

Japan 
XplusYplusZ wrote:
Firstly - Thanks to Hugh. Really useful pictures.

When I test drove a 7 seater, I found the single sided seat (40%) was easier than the double seat (60%) to click down. So if you want to test it out, try the single sided seat first.

I forgot how you release them to fold back up?

Use the lever on the side of the seat (nearest to the door) that normally reclines the seat to unlock from the flat position to fold back up 22MY Defender 110 D300 S in Pangea Green and Contrast White Roof
IG defender_japan "Hulk san"
Post #949969 21st Apr 2022 7:28am
Nasher

United Kingdom 
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread.

From the various images above it looks to me that if you click the seats down in a 7 seater that last bit, although not completely 100% flat they are flatter than those in a 5 seater.

Would that be a fair assessment?
Post #1012412 24th Oct 2023 10:18am
XplusYplusZ

That's actually not quite correct. The 5s 2nd row bench folds forward and allows the seat backs to lie completely flat - 100% aligned and level with the loadspace. The 7s has a slightly incline of an couple of inches - even when in the fully locked position.

The 7s 2nd row has to slide to allow access to the 3rd row. This sliding feature is nice - you can have more or less loadspace/knee room. BUT the mechanism has meant the bench seats don't fold up to allow the seat backs to fold completely flat.

When the 7s 2nd row seat back is folded, you basically have to compress the seat padding to lock the seat back into the lowest position. It means the seat backs do not lie completely flat and aligned with the loadspace. BUT it is very close. I have slept in the back of my 7s a few times without any issues due to the slope. I probably reduces the load height by 2-3 inches max.

The only other obvious point is the 5s have a hidden storage compartment where you can valuables out of sight and store all the gravel and detritis which falls between the gaps whenever you open it. Laughing
The 7s does have a little bit of space between the rear of the 2nd row and the folded 3rd row where I keep narrow things like window shades, or a small toolbox.

I find the utility of having the 7s really useful. But it does now come at a cost, as it forces you to add the 7s pack and the air suspension - which is now an optional extra.
Post #1012450 24th Oct 2023 2:36pm
Nasher

United Kingdom 
Thanks XplusYplusZ, that’s great detailed info, all in one place, just what I need.

Seeing the images of what a 7 seater looks like in fully(almost) flat mode has actually made me think if it would now be a better option for me than a 5 seater, as there is obviously a trade off for me to consider now on top of everything else:
7 seat with a not quite flat enough load space, or a 5 seat which is flat but slightly shorter.
I’ve also realised of course that the 7 seat rear axle is rated to a higher load.
That can only be a good thing when I’m towing a 2.5-3tn trailer around at times.

Every way I look at it the best option for me always comes back to keeping my D4 for longer.

A few months ago I dropped in to my local dealer.
A sales guy there showed me that the rear seats in a 7 seater didn’t go completely flat, but he didn’t go for the final bit and click them down, I’m assuming because he didn’t know about it.
Another sales guy who was hanging around joined in the conversation and said he believed a 5 seater went flat. They apparently didn’t have a 5 seater for me to look at and said they hardly ever see them.

Then last month I dropped in to my next closest dealer as I was passing.
A sales guy there again showed me how far down a 7 seater seats go, and again didn’t push them down the last bit.
When I asked about the difference with a 5 seater he was adamant that the seats in a 5 seater and 7 seater were exactly the same so a 5 seater would only fold down to what he was showing me in a 7 seater.

I like the Air suspension by the way, the self-levelling having hitched a heavy trailer is really useful for me.
Post #1012532 25th Oct 2023 8:42am
Moo

Ukraine 
If you don't need seven seats then go five seat. You then get a totally flat land bay. Putting the seats down is really quick like the D3/4.

I use it as a van quite a lot and its a really good space. As for the air suspension, its definitely worth it. Works a treat when hitching and towing. Thumbs Up Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1012538 25th Oct 2023 8:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1