↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Switched live near cubby box?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
phillips321

2005 Defender 110 2.5 TD DCPU Belize Green
Switched live near cubby box?
Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me if there is a switched live under the drivers seat of a TD5 (2005) that i can tap into to run a cigratette lighter in my cubby box for charging. I will occasionally use this to power a high draw inverter for my laptop so something that can handle decent amps would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Post #934778 23rd Dec 2021 10:06am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Yes you could use the fuel pump relay feed to switch another relay with which to switch a high amp feed straight from the battery.

This is pretty much what I have done, although I want a permanent live to the cubby for the inverter, Waeco fridge freezer and air pump. These both run of 40 amp Andersson PowerPole connectors (basically mini versions of the larger Andersson connectors) and then I have a cigarette socket fused off that circuit for additional USB charging.

Cigarrette sockets really aren't the best option for powering high amperage items like inverters, fridges and pumps because they can very easily over heat, melt, short and the plugs themselves blow fuses and melt.

But yes what you want to do can be done, but you will need to run wiring between the battery box and ECU/relay box. Actually there is an alternative, you could run a spur off the existing cigarette lighter loom out the back of the bulkhead, along the chassis rail in to the battery box where there is a relay powering the cigarette lighter in the cubby box. Either will work.

Hope that helps Thumbs Up
Post #934796 23rd Dec 2021 12:01pm
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
I took a feed from the back of the cigarette lighter and fed that over the gearbox tunnel and into the cubby box for my extra usb charger but I also use it to switch a relay for other accessories.

But I don’t use it for anything high power, if I was looking to run an investor that would be connected straight to the battery instead of on a cigarette lighter socket because they aren’t designed for the current as geobloke says
Post #934801 23rd Dec 2021 12:22pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
There's a battery under the passenger seat, why wouldn't you take a fused supply from that and save cutting into any circuits ?
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #934804 23rd Dec 2021 12:57pm
phillips321

2005 Defender 110 2.5 TD DCPU Belize Green
As then it’s permanent live and not switched. I want to use it to charge a load of shooting batteries for thermal spotter, scope, head torch and so on.
Post #935357 28th Dec 2021 10:38am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
That is very similar to my requirements when out on survey phillips321. The GNSS, UAV and Laser scanner batteries all need topping up away from a mains supply. So, a dual battery setup to isolate the starting battery from discharge and then the switched inverter connected to the second battery. Works a treat. I do not have a solar setup because I live in Wales and the weather is never that conducive to making energy. Rolling Eyes
Post #935358 28th Dec 2021 10:47am
Ashbyandy

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
Don’t know if you know about split charge relays, but lots them available, and easy to install next to main battery, via a suitably sized fuse. I then ran a 10mm cable to the back of 110 to a secondary fuse box. Here’s an example,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/140amp-Cargo-volt...amp;sr=8-3

So easy, and you never run the risk of flattening your battery,

👍👍

Ashbyandy
Post #935359 28th Dec 2021 10:49am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
phillips321 wrote:
As then it’s permanent live and not switched. I want to use it to charge a load of shooting batteries for thermal spotter, scope, head torch and so on.

Find yourself a white with green trace to tap into to switch a relay switching a new fused power supply from the battery.
Please don't piggy back a 12v socket on an existing circuit, you may let the smoke out of your car.

Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #935372 28th Dec 2021 11:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1