↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Orders 2022MY (L663) > About to drop the deposit..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
XplusYplusZ

About to drop the deposit..
I'm about to drop the final portion of the deposit, and there's nothing quite like parting with a chunk of change to focus the mind. So I'd welcome some thoughts/feedback.

The build is on a fairly limited budget, let me know your thoughts:
- 110 D250 X-Dynamic S 5 Seats
- 18" 5094s off-road tyres
- Green with black roof and black graphic
- Black Grained Leather - no Khaki Leather Option anymore in the X-Dynamic trim. The Khaki resist seats were an option, but they come with a non-leather steering wheel which is too important a touchpoint (literally) for me to compromise.
- Driver Assist Pack - With a dodgy driver's knee, this is a must.
- Dark Grey Cross beam
- Premium Lights
- Fog Lights

I was severely torn on the e-diff option. In the end I've opted not to get it. The base vehicle seems so capable I think I'd struggle to find a situation where only the e-diff will do, and I will certainly not regularly be in those situations. So I'm putting it down as a nice to have too far for my personal situation.

7 seats were also a really attractive option, but it's incredibly rare for us to have more than 5 in the car. And the extra storage would probably be more handy day-to-day.

Alternatively, the 110 D250 SE comes in a little cheaper than this build, but the x-dynamic aesthetics won me over in the end (Privacy Glass, Black roof, Darker Skid pans, Tow hooks, Ebony headliner).

Click image to enlarge
Post #928550 4th Nov 2021 9:06pm
stng110

Australia 
I’m not sure about your use case, but it seems you’ve paid a lot for cosmetics and foregone the equipment that makes it more capable. I’d get the e-diff, and dump the cosmetics if money is an issue.
Post #928576 5th Nov 2021 6:24am
XplusYplusZ

Yeah, a lot of the cosmetics come from the x-dynamic pack. The options were really only: x-dynamic S, or regular SE. After identifying all the little differences between the two, and weighing their value to me, the Xdynamic came out clearly on top - from a personal and monetary value perspective. I do think the x-dynamic looks a little bling with the shiny black sills. The black roof I could give or take, but due to the black sills, I've kind of embraced it..

I will try an SE spec again, thanks.

What other options would you recommend I consider?
Post #928769 6th Nov 2021 1:43pm
jim4244

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
An XS appears to come with most of the “must haves”. Have you tried spec’ing one of those up?

Jim
Post #928772 6th Nov 2021 1:52pm
XplusYplusZ

Jim - good call actually.

One thing that's not clear for the XS is whether adaptive cruise control is standard or optionable? It's quite an important one for me. Any idea?
Post #928789 6th Nov 2021 4:11pm
XplusYplusZ

stng110 wrote:
I’m not sure about your use case, but it seems you’ve paid a lot for cosmetics and foregone the equipment that makes it more capable. I’d get the e-diff, and dump the cosmetics if money is an issue.

This was a great nudge - thanks again Stng.
I don't really have a strong case for the diff, or for 7 seats, but I really would like to have them.. So
I dusted off the word processor and got nerdy.

In summary, for roughly the same money:
a. I could get 7 seats in an SE trim, if I ditch the cosmetics and privacy glass or ebony headlining.
b. I could add the e-diff on a 5 seat SE trim, if I ditch the cosmetics and privacy glass or ebony headlining.

I don't think I can justify the e-diff, especially when I look at excellent vids like this:

SO I think I might change over to the 7 seat SE, without privacy glass.. (I think the ebony headlining could cover up a whole world of sins.. and I could potentially have privacy film added later on..)

Click image to enlarge
Post #928791 6th Nov 2021 4:47pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Ediff isn’t essentially, nice maybe but in 85% of cases not needed

Privacy glass, get factory Mike
Post #928847 6th Nov 2021 11:40pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Ouch looking at the monthly repayments.
Post #928848 6th Nov 2021 11:58pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
XplusYplusZ wrote:

One thing that's not clear for the XS is whether adaptive cruise control is standard or optionable? It's quite an important one for me. Any idea?

I know I was originally going to go for a MY2022 XS but adaptive cruise wasn't available on the XS for God knows what reason, like you this was a must have for me so that's why I went down the SE route with lots of extras Thumbs Up Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #928851 7th Nov 2021 2:09am
XplusYplusZ

pjm-84 wrote:
Ouch looking at the monthly repayments.

Yeah... the apr is double what BMW is offering... not ideal, and not entirely accurate, as i'll be putting more deposit down. But it's similar to what I'm paying today with a company car and tax on BIK. I'm definitely paying a premium to drive this - but aren't we all?

mse wrote:
Privacy glass, get factory

..But I can get a kit from halfords for £15.. (jk)
It would be a nice to have, for sure.
Post #928866 7th Nov 2021 10:38am
XplusYplusZ

Hairy Dan wrote:
I know I was originally going to go for a MY2022 XS but adaptive cruise wasn't available on the XS for God knows what reason, like you this was a must have for me so that's why I went down the SE route with lots of extras Thumbs Up

Weird, right!? Looks are very subjective, but I prefer the lower sills in 'rugged'(cheap?) looking plastic.. Better than the nice shiny black on the x-dynamic and the body coloured XS. Thanks Dan
Post #928867 7th Nov 2021 10:41am
stng110

Australia 
XplusYplusZ wrote:
stng110 wrote:

This was a great nudge - thanks again Stng.
I don't really have a strong case for the diff, or for 7 seats, but I really would like to have them.. So
I dusted off the word processor and got nerdy.

In summary, for roughly the same money:
a. I could get 7 seats in an SE trim, if I ditch the cosmetics and privacy glass or ebony headlining.
b. I could add the e-diff on a 5 seat SE trim, if I ditch the cosmetics and privacy glass or ebony headlining.

I don't think I can justify the e-diff, especially when I look at excellent vids like this:

SO I think I might change over to the 7 seat SE, without privacy glass.. (I think the ebony headlining could cover up a whole world of sins.. and I could potentially have privacy film added later on..)

Click image to enlarge

Looking at this, the SE in 5-door trim has e-diff and more drivers assists. The advantages of the XS model are almost all cosmetic, except for the recovery eyes, which you an add yourself relatively easily.

I’m not a fan of black headlining in the Defender. It makes the interior too cave like. I have it in my sports car, where it suits, but I like the Defender to feel open and airy. And I don’t like privacy glass either, but if you have young kids then it makes sense from a security point of view. I’d consider matrix LED if tha is an option where you are (or maybe it’s standard). Exceptional lighting system.

Memory seats are worth it if you have two drivers. And the Meridian Sound System is noticeably better than the standard system (coming from someone who was convinced it wouldn’t be, but was surprised when it was. I did a lot of side by side comparison between two cars in the lot, and used a decibel metre to standardise volume so that wasn’t a factor.
Post #929284 9th Nov 2021 8:17pm
Tim in Scotland

The Pangea Green 110 in the video is mine. Nigel’s trips out are brilliant fun and can be a bit “technical” regarding terrain in places. I’ve done 2 runs with him this year and hopefully will do more in the future. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #929302 10th Nov 2021 10:23am
XplusYplusZ

stng110 wrote:

Looking at this, the SE in 5-door trim has e-diff and more drivers assists. The advantages of the XS model are almost all cosmetic, except for the recovery eyes, which you an add yourself relatively easily.

I’m not a fan of black headlining in the Defender. It makes the interior too cave like. I have it in my sports car, where it suits, but I like the Defender to feel open and airy. And I don’t like privacy glass either, but if you have young kids then it makes sense from a security point of view. I’d consider matrix LED if tha is an option where you are (or maybe it’s standard). Exceptional lighting system.

Memory seats are worth it if you have two drivers. And the Meridian Sound System is noticeably better than the standard system (coming from someone who was convinced it wouldn’t be, but was surprised when it was. I did a lot of side by side comparison between two cars in the lot, and used a decibel metre to standardise volume so that wasn’t a factor.

Thanks for this.

I definitely do see the benefits of a brighter cabin - especially as I can't stretch to a pano roof. The oyster headlining would be better from a passenger perspective. But I plan to sleep in the back a bit, and we're going to be clambering around with muddy dogs and equipment in the back, so I think the black headlining will be slightly better at hiding the majority of sins. Although it has to be said, the black headlining can also quite easily collect dust and muck. But I think it would be easier to clean the black without having obvious stains. Bring back wipe down vinyl!

I agree on the privacy glass - I much prefer clear glass, but I street park in london and expect the fabric parcel shelf may not always suffice. So I think from a security perspective, it's worth having the tinted glass. Again, it will also improve the camping privacy.

I think if, as you did, you compare the sound systems, the meridian is significantly better - to the point of justifying the spend.. So my plan is to definitely not compare them! Go for the bog standard one and commit to the 'ignorance is bliss' approach.

The memory seating is a great point - I hadn't considered it as I am the sole driver in the household, so as long as it has enough adjustment to get it comfy, I'm ok with that sacrifice.
Post #929677 14th Nov 2021 11:50am
XplusYplusZ

Tim in Scotland wrote:
The Pangea Green 110 in the video is mine. Nigel’s trips out are brilliant fun and can be a bit “technical” regarding terrain in places. I’ve done 2 runs with him this year and hopefully will do more in the future.

Cool! Do you have the e-diff? Did you see the vehicle without the e-diff struggle anywhere else? This video was really useful for me. I would hate to buy a defender only to find it struggles to get up a kerb without the e-diff. But whilst it was definitely not as controlled as the vehicle with the e-diff, the point that the non-diff vehicle was able to get up the same obstacle without too much fuss was reassuring.
Post #929678 14th Nov 2021 11:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>