Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.4 Puma wholesale electrical gremlins
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Kretchman

New Zealand 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Indus Silver
2.4 Puma wholesale electrical gremlins
Hi all,

I've got a new to me 2008 2.4 puma 90. It has had a few electrical issues which I've been slowly working through, but have hit a point where I've got a broad sweeping failure across most of the controls. Stand by for the history of what worked / didn't:

When I got it:

Headlights - Wouldn't work unless I turned them on, then put on high beam and dropped back to normal. High beam flash wouldn't do it, only pushing the stalk forward to high beam and back, then they would come on. This was repeatable, and would happen every-time.

Indicators and hazards - Would intermittently not work. Hazard switch on and they would half flash for a second then stay off, if not come on at all. Same with the indicators. Once the car warmed up after say a 5-10 minute drive they would slowly start to work as normal. Indicators would always flash fine when remote locking and unlocking the car.

Interior lights don't work

Reverse light doesn't work

I have since replaced all indicators and lights (bar the headlights them selves) with WIPAC led's and the led flasher. Immediately after swapping to LED I had the same indicator / hazard issue (intermittent) but with solid lights (ie what you would expect without swapping to an led flasher). I then installed a new hazard switch as I thought this may be the cause of the intermittent operation of the hazard / indicators. It didn't until I realised I'd swapped out the wrong relay with the LED flasher, and once in the right spot, the LED hazards and indicators now all work 100%. So new hazard switch and led flasher / led lights has sorted out the indicators.

Problem now is that in swapping out the hazard switch, something behind the centre dash may have fritzed as the following no longer work:

instrument cluster (speedo, tacho, temp, fuel) - dash backlights work, and indicator idiot lights work (possible others)
    heated seats
    both front power windows
    rear wiper
    rear washer
    rear fog
    rear demist / heated window
    front heated window?
    front washers
    front wipers
    headlights low beam
    headlights high beam (high beam flash does work though)

There is also now a noticable lack of engine performance too.

Fan, A/C, horn, cigar lighter, radio and indicators / hazards all work.

Is there a common element to all of the above functions behind the radio? Could I have bumped something in the process of swapping out the hazard switch?

I've checked (visually)most if not all of the fuses under the steering wheel. I'll get more thorough with the multimeter in due course, but thought a such wide spread issue would point to one or two key things to check first.

Would appreciate the thoughts of the group. Cheers, BK
Post #928435 4th Nov 2021 6:27am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
could all be related to a poor earth connection, check all of your earth connections or create some new ones. DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #928437 4th Nov 2021 7:21am
Kretchman

New Zealand 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Indus Silver
Won't write a poor earth out of the equation, but I tracked the problem to this:

Issue started when I wound the window down. Searched the wiring diagram, and there was a common element that connected all of the above ancillaries. The 5a fuse no. 15 (on a 2.4L) seems to do the same thing as fuse 4P on the later 2.2L's and is the ignition feed for the following:

Instrument cluster
    Window lift relay R143
    Window heater front D247
    Heated rear screen switch S120
    Headlight relay R123

I checked fuse 15 and it was blown. Replaced it and success.

Then checked the window switches and the driver side didn't work but passenger did. Swapped them over and fault went to the passenger side. So I'm guessing dead drivers window switch shorted and blew fuse fuse 15 causing my issue. Not sure why the washer/wipers and other ancillaries stopped working too, as on my wiring diagram they aren't fed from fuse 15 (but maybe I have an outdated diagram).
Post #929008 8th Nov 2021 6:12am
corgi1

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
well done, for checking wiring disgrams, im useless with them
Post #929022 8th Nov 2021 9:36am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
congrats on solving the issue DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #929024 8th Nov 2021 9:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1