Home > Puma (Tdci) > MY15 2.2 Puma 90 - Damaged Speedo Sensor cable connector
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gleo

Isle Of Man 
MY15 2.2 Puma 90 - Damaged Speedo Sensor cable connector
Hi All

I recently damaged the 3 wire Speedo sensor cable plug connector (the one that sits into the VDO Speedo Transducer) when lifting in my gearbox (loom snagged as I dropped the box - school boy error I know).
Whilst the moulded block is fine, the cable seals and the TE connectors pulled out of the moulded block, and got damaged and need to be renewed and re-crimped into new TE crimped contacts.

Getting a replacement - part number YPC10068 (If thats even the correct replacement PN) is taking ages via LR Ireland - and they aren't 100% sure if that part number is just the moulded 3 way female Superseal/ Econoseal connector , or if it also includes the waterproof wires seal plugs, and TE crimp contacts?

Meanwhile I noticed on Forumns on Defender2.net that the STC4637 (Stop lamp Extension Wiring Assembly) seems to be the same kind of 3-way Econoseal connector plug and lead that I need, albeit the wire colours are different, but that's fine.

Any idea if there is an official wiring assembly spare part number just for JUST the Speedo sensor wire, rather than the full wiring loom assembly?

Just trying to see if there are any alternatives to YPC10068 or STC4637?

I also tried Radionics, whilst they had the wire seal plugs, the correct TE Ampseal socket crimp contacts are out of stock until September.

Finally - Whilst the Defender drives OK without the Speedo Sensor in place, I haven't taken it too far as it's not 100% smooth in between gear changes etc, as I assume both Speedo data and accelerator pedal usage data is fed back into the Puma 2.2 engine management on an ongoing basis to help engine management/ performance.
Apart from not having Speedo data, is there any harm in driving the Puma if its missing the Speed data back into the engine Mgt system whilst awaiting a replacement Speedo connector?

Thanks in advance
Post #914083 26th Jul 2021 12:54pm
Oldowner

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Aintree Green
It is a standard 3 way Econoseal exactly the same as rear stop/tail lights.

https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk/p-...arch=01252

Or ebay
Post #914116 26th Jul 2021 4:24pm
Gleo

Isle Of Man 
Hi Oldowner

Following your advice many thanks, I ordered the 3 way Econoseal from VehicleWiringProducts Ltd, fitted it this morning and still no speed going back to the dashboard.

Any ideas which relay is used on the 2.2 Puma for the Speedo Sensor, as that's my next check point, but I am not sure where its located, as its not specifically marked on the fuse board panels?

Thanks again
Post #914725 30th Jul 2021 12:19pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
There‘s no relay involved. Ignition live (white green) coming from fuse 11 (10A), black is ground, black-red is signal to instrument cluster which calculates and displays speed.
Post #914726 30th Jul 2021 12:27pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
What if you connect to the obd, are you able to read the road speed?

According to electrical manual there is a 10A fuse in Junctio box-Central (P101). I do not know if that is beneath the driver seat or below the steering.[/img] 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #914729 30th Jul 2021 12:32pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
^^ I see it as Fuse 12. But maybe different manuals have different numbers. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #914730 30th Jul 2021 12:33pm
Gleo

Isle Of Man 
OK, so no relay involved then, and I've checked the standard fuses and they seem to be fine.

The rest of the dashboard, rev counter, Mileage,Trip etc is fine, - maybe the pulse cable got damaged or stretched further up within the loom when it snagged.
Looks like I may have to cut the 3 speedo cables further up, and then re-splice in 3 x fresh cables.

I onlyassumed it was going to a relay after looking at a diagram within this thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic70342.html?highlight=c0195
Post #914731 30th Jul 2021 12:39pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
That diagram shows how to use the ignition live in the speed transducer cable to switch a separate relay; not that a relay is part of the original circuit. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #914741 30th Jul 2021 12:51pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Dinnu wrote:
^^ I see it as Fuse 12. But maybe different manuals have different numbers.

For MY 2015 it should be F11 under the driver's (i.e. right) seat. It's labelled with an instrument cluster icon on the sticker under the lid. This fuse box is called BJB battery junction box or main fuse box.
Post #914755 30th Jul 2021 1:42pm
Baytown

Australia 2012 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Auto Blenheim Silver
Hi Gleo;
It’s been a while since you last mentioned this issue.
Have you sorted it and if so, what was the problem?
I’ve a similar issue after removing a wire from an unrelated circuit, lost my Speedo and odometer on my Puma 110.
I expect I’ve stretched wiring as well as I’ve checked the binnacle, resoldered joints, rewired the connectors have signal at the OBD port, so loss of signal between OBD and binnacle.
I’m really interested in what your outcome and fix is.
Thanks for any help with this.

Ken

Gleo wrote:
OK, so no relay involved then, and I've checked the standard fuses and they seem to be fine.

The rest of the dashboard, rev counter, Mileage,Trip etc is fine, - maybe the pulse cable got damaged or stretched further up within the loom when it snagged.
Looks like I may have to cut the 3 speedo cables further up, and then re-splice in 3 x fresh cables.

I onlyassumed it was going to a relay after looking at a diagram within this thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic70342.html?highlight=c0195
Post #928066 1st Nov 2021 12:38pm
Gleo

Isle Of Man 

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Hi

Yes, I got a new Ecoseal from: https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk/p-...arch=01252 as recommend by Oldowner.
I didn't have an Ecoseal crimper but was able to do it with a standard crimps, just need to ensure the cables go in the correct way, it's easy to look at the plug upside down and mix up pin 1 and 3 or visa-versa.

I removed the speedo sensor to do a 'dry' test (before pushing the crimped ends into the plug), spun it by hand to ensure the revs and speed were changing on the dash, but if you do do this be very careful not to short the bare crimps off one another or you'll blow fuses or damage the speed sensor.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #928079 1st Nov 2021 2:06pm
Baytown

Australia 2012 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Auto Blenheim Silver
Thank you mate, and I’m glad you managed to fix your issue. Well done!
Post #928137 1st Nov 2021 10:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1