Home > Wheels & Tyres > Locking wheel nuts for alloys
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Locking wheel nuts for alloys
Dear All

searched the web and cant find any inspiring security wheel nuts for our cars, just the OEM ones and a few similar aftermarket offerings,

Has anyone come up with anything better, spoke to LRD and surprisingly (to me at least) they said they don't have many enquires for locking wheel nuts.

Is there anything better on the market? DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #927065 25th Oct 2021 2:32pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Locking wheel nuts were very popular a decade or so ago when fitting alloy wheels was still a bit of a novelty. They have become less popular of late because the feeling is people would rather the wheels were stolen than the entire Land Rover. Plus, it is entirely likely that if anyone is going to want something off your Defender it is like as not going to be the entire vehicle. Rolling Eyes Hence, they are a tad redundant and are not a sought after security device.

I will add that if someone did want your wheels and you had locking wheel nuts it would only take 30 seconds or so to get them off. So, again there is no real point in them.

The exception to this is the spare wheel on the rear carrier and there are specific security devices for them, big padlocks, etc.

One last thing... Should you fit locking wheel nuts and for some reason have lost the key to them... Well, it is a Censored , a real PITA if you have a flat tyre in a far away field or green lane.

I am sure others will have other views and some may even contradict the above, but this is my view and experience Thumbs Up
Post #927074 25th Oct 2021 4:31pm
jim4244

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
I must admit that I replace locking wheel nuts with normal nuts as one of my first jobs on any new car I get, whether used or spanking new.

I once got caught out with a Disco 3 when the locking wheel nut I was undoing sheared and just freely rotated. I was lucky as the nut wasn't that tight and I managed to get it off, but imagine the same scenario on a cold and wet winters evening in the highlands of Scotland or on a small country road in the middle of Dartmoor……

Jim
Post #927075 25th Oct 2021 4:41pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I do this^^^^ Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #927093 25th Oct 2021 6:59pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
I’ve removed mine on my own vehicle and do the same for every fleet vehicle we have with locking nuts.

It costs us much more to resolve lost locking wheel nut keys than wheels, actually I cant remember when we last had a set of wheels stolen.

The only time we fit any wheel security device is where the spare wheel is accessible, they still get targeted. Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #927163 26th Oct 2021 9:09am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I keep my locking wheel nuts on, the Genuine defender ones are robust when compared to others I’ve seen. I make sure they are kept in good condition with grease on the outside and under the cap, in the same way I regularly AC50 the other wheel nuts, especially between the main body of the nut and the stainless steel cap to avoid corrosion and associated swelling that requires a larger socket to remove.
I ensure they are only ever removed manually, not with a gun, and are torqued correctly, making sure Tyre places do the same ( i do my own servicing). Locking wheel nut is first off or last torqued to ensure the least pressure is applied to it.

They only really deter the casual thief , as locking wheel nut removal sockets married to an impact gun quickly bypasses them in most cases so a determined well equipped thief will get past them quickly.

So the pattern of the key does not make much difference, the robustness does as you don’t want it to self destruct when trying to remove, and most importantly the hardness of the locking nut material does, as it’s that last bit that can provide difficulty with using locking wheel nut removal sockets, especially the cheaper sockets. I have read that some BMW locking wheel nuts are sufficiently hard as to completely resist the best locking wheelnut removal sockets, leaving welding a bar to the nut as the only option to remove if the key is lost.

Last edited by Ianh on 26th Oct 2021 3:46pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #927205 26th Oct 2021 1:20pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Easy enough (and usually necessary) to reinforce the rather weak genuine locking wheelnut removal key (just make sure the collar still fits in the wheel recess):

Click image to enlarge
Post #927208 26th Oct 2021 1:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1