↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > OBD Scanners and Interfaces
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dilukabey

2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
OBD Scanners and Interfaces
I have seen plenty of cheap OBD scanners online (ebay) but do not know the best match one for the defender tdci puma engine. Confused

Also could you guys please let me know whats the best match OBD interface (the pack comes with the CD, cable with OBDii socket to connect the PC)?

Cheers Very Happy
Post #87751 5th Sep 2011 3:13pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Depends totally on your budget.....

At the lower end of the market I have a Scangauge and am happy with it's performance, however if I had a spare £8-£10k I'd set myself up with an Autologic kit and start making money with it. Between the two are a myriad of gismos.....How much are you looking to spend and a more precise answer from someone who may already have what you are looking for will undoubtedly follow. Average priced and more advanced ones seem to be about £350 - £450 by my reckoning, dependant on whom you buy from! Blackbox solutions, Nanocom and Scangauge would be a good 'Google' start.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #87754 5th Sep 2011 3:19pm
dilukabey

2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Thanks for the reply K9F. Hoping to buy it from ebay. I've seen scanners start from cheap as 12 pounds but I dont mind if it works with the car.
My budget is approx. is around 100 pounds. I have seen the scanguage and may be it is a possibility but not decided yet.

Also do you think any advantage of having an OBD interface kit (the pack comes with the CD, cable with OBDii socket to connect the PC) than scanners?

Cheers and appriciate! Very Happy
Post #87755 5th Sep 2011 3:35pm
iruffell

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I've got the cheap ~£12 bluetooth one from ebay with Torque Android app, work fine for me.
Post #87760 5th Sep 2011 4:09pm
wslr

United Kingdom 
Problem with the generic scanners is that they are OK for basic diagnostic trouble codes, but are not always much help for marque specific ones.

I think a good one would be the Hawkeye as it also does some live data as well as DTC's and it is specific to Land Rover models. It is also aimed at the DIY mechanic. I think Bearmach have the rights to sell it, if you can find one locally.

If you wanted a better system that that, than for around the £1500GBP you have the Omitec UCM which is a fantastic bit of kit. Much faster that IDS to get in and read and clear codes, has Land Rover specific explanations of codes, multi vehicle and multi VIN (Disco3, RRS, FL2 etc), service functions like service reset, selective live data and so on. Made by the company who did Testbook - Omitec.

Now IDS has become a little more affordable (and I say a little more) as you no longer require the red VCM which is quite expensive - You just need a J2535 type module like the Mongoose to connect it which is around £400GBP, a suitable laptop and a subscription to IDS for £700GBP via TOPIx. You even get IDS Support to call once you have subscribed to it. I think perhaps the EU has clamped down on diagnostic providers to ensure that independents can flash software on ECU's, and the J2535 allows this. Even the dealerships are now being offered non-IDS VCM options via their tool supplier - SPX Service Solutions.

Personally, I have a love/hate relationship with it as it keeps updating and password checking itself. If they spent half as much time developing the SDD software as they do stopping unauthorised use, then IDS/SDD would be a different beast completely. Also the last download V127 was so large you needed a full day downloading it - and that was at a healthy 8mbps broadband connection.
Post #87775 5th Sep 2011 6:22pm
MD5

2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
I bought a OBD2 USB Scanner to be used with a notebook + EasyObdII software.

Any special instruction to read and reset DTC codes ?
Do I simply need to turn on the engine and then connect the cable plug into the OBD2 connector ?

Thanking in advance for any advice
Post #97588 1st Nov 2011 8:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1