↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > P400e Area (L663) > Remote Engine Pre-Conditioning Battery Conservation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Ritson

France 
Remote Engine Pre-Conditioning Battery Conservation
I've tried using the LR Remote app a few times to pre-condition the car before use in the mornings. Whilst it works it does drain the battery, even when the charging cable is connected. Has anyone else had this problem? Current: MY22 P400e SE
Prior: Discovery Sport HSE, Jaguar F-Type S, Discovery 3, RR Vogue
Post #926484 20th Oct 2021 10:48am
hezor

Finland 
The electric heater is rated at 7kW. So if you can't charge the car with 1x32A = 7,4kW it will drain the battery in that case.

All Finnish-spec Defenders have the fuel-burner heater as standard, even in the P400e. So I can choose to use the fuel-heater instead of the electric heater. If I know I cannot get to my destination in full EV, I usually pre-heat with the fuel-heater. This way I have a comfortable temperature in cabin with a full battery. 22MY Defender 110 P400e SE w/ Off-Road Pack, Driver Assist Pack, Cold Climate Pack, Comfort & Convenience Pack + ClearSight Rear-View Mirror & 11.4" Infotainment Screen
Post #926499 20th Oct 2021 12:16pm
Ritson

France 
Thanks Hezor, that answers my question. I don't have a wall charger, just a dedicated 16a domestic socket which is fine to fully charge the car overnight. Guess I'll just have to put up with a chilly car in the mornings if I want to start off with a full battery then! Current: MY22 P400e SE
Post #926500 20th Oct 2021 12:21pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Yes I think the above is right; I have a 7kW wall charger at home and haven’t noticed that the battery drains at all when charging, but I did notice that the car started “charging” when it was already full, suggesting that the heater drew some power, which the car then took from the house again… Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #926523 20th Oct 2021 5:45pm
hezor

Finland 
Ritson wrote:
Thanks Hezor, that answers my question. I don't have a wall charger, just a dedicated 16a domestic socket which is fine to fully charge the car overnight. Guess I'll just have to put up with a chilly car in the mornings if I want to start off with a full battery then!

That does not do good either, as you start with a full battery but have high electricity consumption in the beginning of the drive when the heater starts to warm up the cabin and hence lowers the effective EV range.

My previous BMW 530e had more intelligence in preconditioning. It had a 5kW electric heater and I charged the car with 1x12A = 2,7kW but the battery was always full after preconditioning was done. This was because BMW used lower heating power but the preconditioning period was longer to accommodate this. 22MY Defender 110 P400e SE w/ Off-Road Pack, Driver Assist Pack, Cold Climate Pack, Comfort & Convenience Pack + ClearSight Rear-View Mirror & 11.4" Infotainment Screen
Post #926603 21st Oct 2021 5:43am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Surely the solution (if you can’t get a proper charger fitted) is just to start the preconditioning a little earlier and give it time to top the battery up again afterwards? Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #926623 21st Oct 2021 8:47am
Tim in Scotland

Or fit a wall box charger……….
I’m just about to have one fitted that will charge my forthcoming Mini Cooper SE BEV that will float charging between my solar panels and off peak electricity, but we do get a grant to fit these in the U.K. for the time being (IIRC £350 OLEV grant plus in Scotland there is a further grant on top of that!). Fortunately the Mini’s small battery pack (32kW claimed 28.6kw usable) doesn’t take too long to recharge on a 7kW charger). One thing I do miss from my Mini Countryman PHEV was just how warm the cabin could be got when it was plugged into the mains, I was silly enough to spend £300 on the optional heated front screen (basis having had it on all my LR’s except my 1996 90) not realising that the entire glass area would be cleared easily by the conditioning……….. I never switched it on in 2 years ownership! Embarassed Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #926627 21st Oct 2021 9:04am
Ritson

France 
hezor wrote:
Ritson wrote:
Thanks Hezor, that answers my question. I don't have a wall charger, just a dedicated 16a domestic socket which is fine to fully charge the car overnight. Guess I'll just have to put up with a chilly car in the mornings if I want to start off with a full battery then!

That does not do good either, as you start with a full battery but have high electricity consumption in the beginning of the drive when the heater starts to warm up the cabin and hence lowers the effective EV range.

My previous BMW 530e had more intelligence in preconditioning. It had a 5kW electric heater and I charged the car with 1x12A = 2,7kW but the battery was always full after preconditioning was done. This was because BMW used lower heating power but the preconditioning period was longer to accommodate this.

Is there a minimum temperature below which it is recommended to use pre-conditioning prior to use? Current: MY22 P400e SE
Post #926662 21st Oct 2021 1:05pm
Ritson

France 
Cheshire110 wrote:
Surely the solution (if you can’t get a proper charger fitted) is just to start the preconditioning a little earlier and give it time to top the battery up again afterwards?

Problem is using a 16a supply to charge is slow, so by the time the amount of battery used for preconditioning is replaced the car would be stone cold again! Current: MY22 P400e SE
Post #926663 21st Oct 2021 1:08pm
Ritson

France 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Or fit a wall box charger……….
I’m just about to have one fitted that will charge my forthcoming Mini Cooper SE BEV that will float charging between my solar panels and off peak electricity, but we do get a grant to fit these in the U.K. for the time being (IIRC £350 OLEV grant plus in Scotland there is a further grant on top of that!). Fortunately the Mini’s small battery pack (32kW claimed 28.6kw usable) doesn’t take too long to recharge on a 7kW charger). One thing I do miss from my Mini Countryman PHEV was just how warm the cabin could be got when it was plugged into the mains, I was silly enough to spend £300 on the optional heated front screen (basis having had it on all my LR’s except my 1996 90) not realising that the entire glass area would be cleared easily by the conditioning……….. I never switched it on in 2 years ownership! Embarassed

Buying a wallbox isn't the issue, its getting the cabling routed to it from the house MDB which is 20m away. I would either have to dig up my cobbled courtyard to bury it or run the cable in conduit the full length of the house on the stone walls, which is a bit unsightly to say the least. Current: MY22 P400e SE
Post #926664 21st Oct 2021 1:17pm
hezor

Finland 
Cheshire110 wrote:
Surely the solution (if you can’t get a proper charger fitted) is just to start the preconditioning a little earlier and give it time to top the battery up again afterwards?

The interior gets cold before the battery is topped up again. 22MY Defender 110 P400e SE w/ Off-Road Pack, Driver Assist Pack, Cold Climate Pack, Comfort & Convenience Pack + ClearSight Rear-View Mirror & 11.4" Infotainment Screen
Post #926736 22nd Oct 2021 5:44am
Cham110

France 
Preconditioning and EV range.
Hello to everyone. New to this site. Recently got my P400e model X in mid December and learning about the joys of PHEV ownership with 2.6MT. This tread helped me as was experiencing lots of questions on preconditioning and still not all sorted to be honest. I have a question for anyone living somewhere cold. It is about -10 here currently and I get close 20kms of EV. Knowing the cold impacts battery performance as well as heating draining the battery. Anyone else get something similar to this??
Post #937187 11th Jan 2022 10:27am
camelman

United Kingdom 
I love these 21st century problems!
You could always stick a £100 chinese diesel heater in there on a timer Laughing 
Post #937190 11th Jan 2022 10:39am
Ritson

France 
Re: Preconditioning and EV range.
Cham110 wrote:
Hello to everyone. New to this site. Recently got my P400e model X in mid December and learning about the joys of PHEV ownership with 2.6MT. This tread helped me as was experiencing lots of questions on preconditioning and still not all sorted to be honest. I have a question for anyone living somewhere cold. It is about -10 here currently and I get close 20kms of EV. Knowing the cold impacts battery performance as well as heating draining the battery. Anyone else get something similar to this??

-10, France, nickname starting with Cham...... would you perhaps be living in/near a famous ski resort?

We're forecasted for some cold weather this week in the Dordogne, -4 on a couple of mornings so I'll see what the range is but so far I've never had anything less than 38km even when it got down to -5 on one occasion Current: MY22 P400e SE
Post #937216 11th Jan 2022 4:20pm
hezor

Finland 
Re: Preconditioning and EV range.
Cham110 wrote:

Yep, the EV range drops significantly when the weather gets cold. I live in Finland so -20C or even -30C is not a rare event. In -20C I'm getting about 17-20km total of EV range, and the car starts with the combustion engine. Depending on the conditions it shuts down quite fast, or if the battery is too cold, it keeps on running quite a while. With PHEVs, don't expect the same behaviour in cold as it is in warm conditions.

In summer I can have 42km of pure EV driving, which means my commuting can be done without burning a drop of fuel. 22MY Defender 110 P400e SE w/ Off-Road Pack, Driver Assist Pack, Cold Climate Pack, Comfort & Convenience Pack + ClearSight Rear-View Mirror & 11.4" Infotainment Screen
Post #937304 12th Jan 2022 8:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>