↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Double Battery Setup.....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Hugo110

Italy 2001 Defender 110 Td5 SW Indus Silver
Double Battery Setup.....
Hello Everyone, I'd quickly like to say I've never posted anything on here but always have found this forum a very valuable source of information.

anyway here we go again... another double battery thread....(I must say I've read the other ones, learned a lot from them already. and there is just one thing I'd like to ask/clarify while I share my setup with you)

So recently I finally installed my winch and noticed it needs a little more juice, so I'm cabling it directly to the battery and adding a second battery. and I'd like to make use of the occasion to get a little bit of house power out of this second battery while it's there.

my question is yet again on what types of battery, I'm wondering is it realistic to run 2x Varta G14 AGM battery? let me explain why by detailing the setup I've got going.

winch going directly to the starter battery which is currently still a normal cranking battery I believe its a 105 amps cc850. on this ive got a high current 600 amps marine switch to engage or disengage the winch.

what ive just ordered is a smart reley by Blue Sea Systems which isolates and chargers the batteries separately but also allows me to link them in together via a manual switch so I can get juice out of both of them when pulling with the winch. or jump start myself if the main battery is flat.

all good so far. now, I would also like to use said second battery for a small fridge(don't own one yet) and maybe something else that could need power just to somewhat future proof it.

so I was wondering, should I go with two of the Varta G14 both for starter and for house? or should I stick with a starter battery and combine it with an agm? just to give me that versatility.
(the first reason why I'm considering this battery, ive read its the same size as the standard LR battery, so even if fiddley, two should be able to fit in the undersea compartment)
(and the second reason is because its 95Ah 850A, which I think should easily do as a starter battery) but ive read people being weird about using agm for a starter battery so I just wanted to double check.

ive read the other threads on this subject and I think im 80% there, im mainly wondering if its a good idea to mis match batteries, or to run two agm "dual purpose" batteries or to just use two starter batteries... if you guys could point me in the right direction on that one, it would be well appreciated!

since the batteries are isolated therefor they could be of different kinds? but then again how would that work when I switch them together for winching? (my guess is no problem because ive jump started any kind of battery to any other kind basically)
and would double AGM dual purpose battery stress the alternator? or how would the alternator work with a mixed setup with the isolator? or would the alternator maybe not be able to let me have the best out of those batteries?

I think in theory it could all work but I was wondering if some of you might have experimented with similar setups and found something that just works as it should.

its a Td5 btw, which I like to use for fun in the weekends and have done some travels with, but now would like to do a little bit more ambitious Off-roading with.

thanks
Hugo

here's some links to the products I was mentioning in case someone else would find them useful.

high current marine amp switch:

https://www.nauticailliano.it/dettaglio-pr...e_sxl.html

(doesn't look like it in the product picture but I tell you this is one big ass sturdy beefy switch)

Blue Sea Systems Add-A-Battery kit:

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B000RZNP5...&psc=1

Varta G14:

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00OXZWE0...&psc=1
Post #926134 17th Oct 2021 11:56pm
siglo

Kuwait 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
I currently run in my defender a starting battery (optima red top) and an aux deep cycle battery (optima yellow top) using a bluesea battery relay switch with no issues. I've run this setup on other vehicles as well. I currently don't have a winch on my defender, however, I've had one on my previous 4x4. I did not use the combine feature of the blue sea relay for winching, it is not rated to handle the load of my winch. What I did is in install a manual marine battery switch between the winch and both batteries. So manually, I can run the winch from the main battery, the aux battery or both. The switch was rated to handle the current drawn by the winch and you can cut off the winch from the current as an added bonus. I made the diagram below about 15 years ago, so it's not that good and missing fuses, relays, etc. In that vehicle, I was running marine grade deep cycle batteries but you should be able to get the idea.

Click image to enlarge
Post #926410 19th Oct 2021 5:57pm
Julie

France 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I run an AGM battery as a service battery - and a traditional lead acid battery as a main battery (2x 100Ah)
Coupled by a CTEK DC-DC charger
The AGM is a no name battery for cars with start/stop system (Norauto)
The main batt is from John Deere // battery for harvesters Mr. Green
We've been on a camping trip a few days ago.
10h diesel heater + refrigerator (the hole night long) ...
No problems so far Thumbs Up

If I had the money, I'd go for Li-Ion Razz
Post #926967 24th Oct 2021 5:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1