↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Every cloud, and all that...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Every cloud, and all that...
A week or so ago my wife was involved in an accident whilst driving her D4. A young guy in a Suzuki Swift pulled out in front of her and suffered the consequences of being hit by a 2.7 tonne Land Rover. Bar a few scratches from broken glass, nobody was hurt but his car was thrown across the road and has been written off. The D4 is in for repair to the front corner (wing, bonnet, headlight, bumper) and we're waiting to hear the verdict but I expect it's repairable.

Anyway, as it was a no fault accident for my wife, it was established pretty quickly that a loan car was needed and that it should be 'equivalent' to the Discovery. A Mitsubishi Outlander was provided and whilst it wasn't really a patch on the D4, it being a plug-in hybrid was a novelty. I haven't driven an EV before and the smooth, linear acceleration was a real eye opener, and very addictive! We spent nearly a week running around in this and hadn't put any fuel in it at all, which was a bonus considering that the wild west of Surrey is only just getting it's fuel supply back to normal. Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

On Thursday there was an issue that I won't bore you with but A Plan (Georgina for those who've spoken to her) were brilliant and arranged for a new loan car to be delivered. This time it's a Range Rover Sport HSE Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

The Range Rover is better in pretty much every way than the Mitsubishi except for that EV smoothness. Stepping from one into the other, it was immediately noticeable how agricultural the RR felt at low speed. Everything is relative of course and I don't really mean that it felt like a tractor, but the engine noise and gear changes felt very obtrusive, all of a sudden.

Once you get moving, the sensation disappears. The RR is quiet and comfortable whereas the Outlander suffered terribly from road noise and crashy suspension.

One other small observation relates to our D4. The latter is a great car but is now eight years old and I don't really expect it to stand up to comparison with a new RR. In one aspect though, I think it has the edge, which is the engine. The RR is fitted with a 3.0l diesel, which on paper should be as good if not better than the older 3.0l in the D4. Again at low speeds though, it felt less refined and also less eager to get up and go, which frankly surprised me. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #926038 17th Oct 2021 9:53am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
LR Time on YouTube did a comparison between their D3 and D4.

They concluded that the 3L D4 had been depowered from a standing start to resolve the issue over the broken crankshaft problems owners were facing.

In short, change the programming and not fixing the problem.

Post #926062 17th Oct 2021 2:23pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Re: Every cloud, and all that...
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
I haven't driven an EV before and the smooth, linear acceleration was a real eye opener, and very addictive!

That's the thing, for those that have not sampled a decent EV or better still full BEV, it's a whole world of different.

markb110 wrote:
In short, change the programming and not fixing the problem.

From changing oil dilution parameters, to removing oil from hydra bushes, to installing o rings to stop oil leaking from intercoolers, to disabling theft alarms because of ground faults ~ JLR do have form...
Post #926083 17th Oct 2021 4:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1