↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > New company cars priority over real customers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mitch

United Kingdom 
New company cars priority over real customers
Afternoon, I would like to understand from LR customer relations why so many new JLR vehicles are being prioritised to JLR employees as company cars over real customers. When I ordered my L663 110 Defender I was given a 9month..ish estimated delivery time, ( chip shortages given as the reason for delay ). However I drive around where I live near Stratford / Warwick and the vast majority of new JLR vehicles including new 110 defenders are company cars. Why are JLR not prioritising real customers rather than handing new cars out like sweets to employees as company cars? If they really have a chip shortage surely this would make far better business sense to keep Genuine customers happy
Post #944139 28th Feb 2022 5:01pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
To answer that question, JLR employees only have the vehicle for a short time (relatively to the rest of us).

Those vehicles then go to the forecourts of the dealers as low mileage ‘Used’.

Not just to stock up the dealerships but it ensures two sales for the same vehicle within 12 months.

The benefit will be an available to purchase vehicle for less money and less waiting time and for the dealer and they don’t watch a potential sale walk across to road to another dealer that is more accommodating.

So to answer your question, sales and the dealer is more important than you…
Post #944153 28th Feb 2022 6:09pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
They all do it. Ford used to have a place called Frog Island, where it was possible to buy (via a connection) nearly new low mileage ex employee cars. Two sales, no wait, everyone is happy.
Post #944154 28th Feb 2022 6:17pm
Mitch

United Kingdom 
Appreciate they only have the cars a short while, usually 9 months or a set mileage and doing that makes sense in normal times but when their production is constrained by chip shortage snubbing customers in favour of employees will only end badly for them
Post #944185 28th Feb 2022 9:21pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Unfortunately you are trying to make the assumption that JLR are concerned for their customers Whistle

The prices of second hand cars these days, a nine month old Defender with a few thousand miles on the clock is worth considerably more than the new one you ordered. So from their point of view, it makes complete sense.

I’m sorry for you frustrations. If I was in your position I would be livid.

As for your last point that “it will only end badly”, there have been so many posts on here over the years, many of which I have added my opinion to, about the imminent downfall of JLR or poor customer service. Nothing ever seems to change.

I presume they are sitting on your deposit? I wonder how JLR compare to other manufacturers. They all seem to be having problems supplying new vehicles? For once, that’s not a specific JLR issue.
Post #944197 28th Feb 2022 10:01pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It's barmy, isn't it, that selling a new car to an employee specifically to make it second-hand makes it more valuable than it is new?

What has gone wrong with the world? Shocked
Post #944203 28th Feb 2022 10:23pm
Vintagepaul

2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
I've got a contact who is in a senior procurement role at JLR and he has said that he has been told that he has to keep hold of his RRS which is due for a change as JLR want to priortise retail sales.

This rule applies to all management at the moment apparently as they need to generate as much revenue as possible as well as making efficency savings wherever possible. 2015 Defender 90XS HT
Post #944358 2nd Mar 2022 2:51pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
I think the generate as much revenue as possible is the issue.

Less profit in the vehicle that I ordered so its hasn't been built whilst others have. Of course the issue is always related to semiconductors not which model meets the criteria under the matrix chart of profitability
Post #944359 2nd Mar 2022 2:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1