↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Explain the different raised air intake (snorkel) tops for m
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
big110

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Explain the different raised air intake (snorkel) tops for m
I’ve mainly seen three versions. The open scoop type top that acts probably as an air ram, the mushroom top and the larger cyclone type top that nagatenenga uses.

Interested in pros/cons of these. I should preface it with since my 2014 puma was new it has had a Mantec ABS plastic snorkel with the mushroom top. Seemed to work well, but I don’t have anything to compare it new.
Post #922156 21st Sep 2021 2:18am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
The cyclonic head (Naka, Donaldson etc) acts as a pre-filter, catching some of the heavier dust and debris before it gets to the air filter. In my opinion it is only necessary if you are going to dusty/sandy environments, especially if you are travelling in convoy and aren’t the first vehicle. I have a Donaldson on top of a Safari Snorkel and it caught loads of sand in Morocco when we had sand storm and we’re in a largish group, but was virtually empty after 2 weeks off road alone in the Pyrenees. Watch out for angry wasps when you empty it!

The Safari type ram head thing, I’m just neutral on. It’s the best looking in my opinion. I don’t think it helps or hinders. I don’t believe it actually provides any meaningful ram effect when pointed forward. Defenders don’t go that fast! It is supposed to have some sort of water separating design to reduce the amount of rain it scoops up, and I’ve never had any any trouble with a wet air filter, but other I think have done. I tried pointing it backwards on a Morocco trip to reduce sand intake, and that didn’t seem to make any difference at all. A sock on the top might be useful for dusty environs. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #922162 21st Sep 2021 7:51am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I have a Nakatanenga snorkel with the centrifugal prefilter and it is surprising just how much crud it collects in everyday use in the UK, all of which would end up in the air filter if it wasn't there. It also acts as a water separator and centrifugal air drier which allows the removal of the rather feeble Landrover effort in the original airbox (if retained) and the full sealing of the drain teats on the standard air intake, which is essential if you want to upgrade your intake to an effective dust- and water-proof intake.

Is it necessary? Probably not, the standard intake and filter is entirely adequate for 99% of owners. Is it the best arrangement you can have? Without a doubt.

I fitted it more because if I go to the trouble and expense of upgrading something I like to select the best engineered solution I can, and the Nak system with a wing-top inlet feeding into a Nuggetstuff airbox is, in my opinion, the best off-the-shelf induction system available for a TDCi Defender.
Post #922167 21st Sep 2021 8:12am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I commented on the difference between the Safari and "mushroom" topped here;

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic53859-225.html

The "mushroom" top is a modern version of the original Mantec RAI mushroom top, so is a halfway stage between the Safari and cyclonic type tops. I really like the top I have now, it fits the look of the Defender and importantly it works a treat.

If I were planning any sort of travel trough dusty environments I would however opt for the full Donaldson type with the clear bowl.

Thumbs Up
Post #922173 21st Sep 2021 9:12am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Black Wolf - I love how you (and I) demonstrate the huge contradictions of the human condition. Someone who only buys the best engineered solution they can find also owns a Defender 😂😂😂 I understand, I’m just the same. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #922176 21st Sep 2021 9:23am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Rolling with laughter There is undoubtedly a certain irony to it!

The nuts and bolts nature of the classic Defender together with its body-on-chassis design still makes it a good starting point IMO, despite JLRs best endeavours to reduce it to a laughing-stock.

It remains a crying shame that Landrover allowed something that was as good as a S1 or S2 to be devalued by shoddy development and embarrassingly-bad assembly in the way it did. I really cannot conceive of any situation which would result in me buying a new vehicle from JLR now, whilst a few years ago I wouldn't have conceived of buying anything else.
Post #922193 21st Sep 2021 10:51am
foxhound

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
Re: Explain the different raised air intake (snorkel) tops f
big110 wrote:
I’ve mainly seen three versions. The open scoop type top that acts probably as an air ram, the mushroom top and the larger cyclone type top that nagatenenga uses.

Interested in pros/cons of these. I should preface it with since my 2014 puma was new it has had a Mantec ABS plastic snorkel with the mushroom top. Seemed to work well, but I don’t have anything to compare it new.

Investigate the Donaldson top spin, better at cleaning dust than the air ram and mushroom heads but no less MPG or power than the air ram

email me if you want a short paper i wrote on a 3 inch air flow from top spin through to the original or donaldson air box (both of which have a 3 inch intake). 110 Defender 300tdi & Penman trailer with ally exped top and roof tent
Post #922989 27th Sep 2021 11:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1