Home > Puma (Tdci) > Play in prop at transfer box
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ijk10

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
Play in prop at transfer box
Hi all
Have noticed some ay in the front prop where it enters the transfer box. It's also blinking if not careful with gear changes. Anyone know what the fix is please. 2007 110 with 70k
Thanks
Post #920854 10th Sep 2021 1:47pm
jaygti

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
If the play is in the u/j it needs replacing.
Either do it yourself ( messy and fiddly the 1st time, but easy from then on), get a garage to do it, or replace the whole prop as they are quite cheap.
If the u/j let’s go it can cause a lot of damage.
You may notice some vibration as well when you drive it. 2002 td5 90 county hardtop
Post #920884 10th Sep 2021 5:29pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Do you mean torsional play (normal) or radial play (bad news), or do you means play in the UJ (also bad news but not generally as bad).

I'm also not entirely sure what you means by this:

Ijk10 wrote:
It's also blinking if not careful with gear changes.

... and I haven't been able to figure out what sensible word would be auto-corrected to "blinking"! Can you explain what you mean?
Post #920892 10th Sep 2021 6:06pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
I believe a small amount of radial play on the transfer case front output flange is normal as the shaft is on a simple ball bearing. I would not worry if it is a small amount, there is no sign of leaking and no noises.

Blinking - maybe 'grinding'. If it is grinding gears during gear exchange, some say 'normal' for the Getrag MT82. But maybe at 70k the clutch is due. Worth dropping the oil and replace with 2.2 liters of high quality synthetic 75W80 oil GL4 oil. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #920902 10th Sep 2021 6:21pm
scotty38

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
Clunking, clanking maybe
Post #920917 10th Sep 2021 8:04pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
It’s likely the UJ’s that need replacing, but really you need to remove the prop to check properly.
Even one bearing cup and roller bearings gone is enough to cause those symptoms and beyond that if removed you can check the flange is secure and bolt too.

I had this and it was just one bearing cup right at the back on the rear, I couldn’t detect it was gone in situ and passed MOT checks in situ. It wasn’t until removed could I find the actual culprit.
By which time it had caused the rear diff nose pinion oil seal to leak at additional cost.
My guess is it caused lateral vibration and movement, worse at slower speeds.

If you take them off mark each end with tipped or similar on each mating surface and that way you know exactly how it came off it can go back on.

Either replace UJ’s or replace prop. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #920923 10th Sep 2021 8:17pm
Ijk10

blackwolf wrote:
Do you mean torsional play (normal) or radial play (bad news), or do you means play in the UJ (also bad news but not generally as bad).

I'm also not entirely sure what you means by this:

Ijk10 wrote:
It's also blinking if not careful with gear changes.

... and I haven't been able to figure out what sensible word would be auto-corrected to "blinking"! Can you explain what you mean?

Clunking on gear change sorry....predictive text...
Post #920930 10th Sep 2021 8:49pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The clunk on gearchange may be an entirely different problem (there are many threads on Puma driveline clunks, in fact few Pumas don't have clunks), or it may, as C90Steve says, be that the UJs are failing.

If the shaft of the propshaft can move up and down, side to side, or rotationally without the transfer box flange moving, you have a UJ problem. If the transfer box flange moves up and down or side to side you have a failed (or failing) output shaft bearing in the transfer box (which is fairly bad news).

It is always possible to remove the front propshaft and go for a drive with the centre diff locked to see if the clunk is still present.
Post #920952 11th Sep 2021 12:09am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Check the drive members on the rear axle, or better solution replace to one piece half shafts. Britpart one piece are actually good, and cheap. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #920959 11th Sep 2021 6:33am
Ijk10

It's had new lof one piece drive shafts on the rear. New lof clutch and output shaft.....
Post #920996 11th Sep 2021 9:52am
Ijk10

blackwolf wrote:
The clunk on gearchange may be an entirely different problem (there are many threads on Puma driveline clunks, in fact few Pumas don't have clunks), or it may, as C90Steve says, be that the UJs are failing.

If the shaft of the propshaft can move up and down, side to side, or rotationally without the transfer box flange moving, you have a UJ problem. If the transfer box flange moves up and down or side to side you have a failed (or failing) output shaft bearing in the transfer box (which is fairly bad news).

It is always possible to remove the front propshaft and go for a drive with the centre diff locked to see if the clunk is still present.

Hi Blackwoof
Why is the latter description bad?
Post #920997 11th Sep 2021 9:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1