↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Budget supermarket power tools
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
Budget supermarket power tools
Budget supermarket power tools - what's good and what should be avoided.

Whilst I don't like buying cr*p, I am also mindful that some things I don't use enough to justify the cost of branded kit. I also find that some brands just ain't as good as they used to be.

So with that in mind, what have you had/got that you feel is a good bit of kit and we'll worth the money.

I am not a tool sob so have no issues using cheeper kit. I have bought lots of little bits of things, the last being a set of squares from Aldi.

I have bought a impact wrench if the Parkside brand from Lidl. It's not the most powerful but has been useful. It is rated at three settings up to 450nm, but I don't think it is that powerful. I do think it is worth the£70 though as you get the tool, a charger and a 4ah battery.

I then purchased a drill in the same range. This came as a bare unit for £20. It has a 13mm steel hand tightening chuck (I don't like the plastic chucks). I have found that on the faster speed it cuts out a bit quick when under load, but not too bad on the slow speed. The chuck is a bit short as the drill bit does not go too far in, especially on larger diameter drills (10mm +). I will edit this with a depth when I get a chance to measure it. I have put 13mm holes in 10mm mild steel going 5/10/13mm to do it. The no load speed is ok. It is not as good my Hitachi drill, but that was £165 + vat about 8 years ago.

I have used the parkside circular saw and that was ok, but not Makita (though I have not used a Makita!). I will get one when they are on offer due to their convenience.

The parkside batteries are £12.50 for a 2ah and £25 for a 4ah. Not sure how they compare with branded makes.

I have a Aldi workzone 125mm dia corded grinder. It has a variable speed and again is ok. You certainly feel the vibrations through it but cuts/grinds ok. The biggest issue for me with this is how you hold it as it is not suitable for using one handed, which I do a lot when taking the edges off cut box sections etc. I prefer my Bosch 115 diameter than the Aldi one, and would pay the extra for it.

I have an Erbaur impact driver which is the second one I have had. The first did a lot of work but the trigger became intermittent coming up to 2 years old. I had the receipt and Screwfix changed it without any fuss (it had a 2 year guarantee), even though it showed the marks of lots of use. It will drive 100mm screws unless into harder wood. It has been used on 125mm M6 coach screws with a full depth success rate with about 19 out of 20 screws (without using a pilot hole).

I just thought I would share this when I was posting on the impact wrench thread!

Please add your budget tools experience's

ATB

Mick
Post #918694 25th Aug 2021 4:25pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I've got the Lidl Parkside 20v recip saw. It's pretty good. I would be open to others on that same battery platform now I've got that. I already have Milwaukee cordless stuff, so am always tempted to add to that.

I've also got a mains powered 1/2" Parkside impact wrench. Thats pretty powerful (not mind blowing) and has got me out of a few sticky situations. I used it to get the big rusty nuts off holding the blades on my tractor's finishing mower the other day.

Have an Aldi Workzone big paddle mixer. That's brilliant for mixing levelling compound, mortar etc. Loads of power.

Had an Aldi Workzone bench grinder - total junk. Feeble motor.

I had a Parkside mains SDS drill which seemed pretty good. In fact it must have been good as I have loaned it to someone and it never got returned.

Don't bother with drill bits, generally not well ground or hard enough to keep a sharp edge for long. Masonry bits are particularly bad.

Workzone micro gas torch soldering iron thingy is absolutely brilliant.

I think the best thing I have is the air powered micro die grinder (Can't remember if it was Aldi or Lidl). Works a treat off the 50l compressor and is so much better than Dremel or similar electric equivalent. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #918699 25th Aug 2021 4:57pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
Now that I'm retired and don't do a lot of work on cars on in the house I have purchased a couple of Lidl tools, I have the cordless car impact wrench and the circular saw, for what I use them for they are great. I'm sure they wouldn't suit somebody who was making a living from their tools or a heavy DIYer but they are cheap, have an extremely good warranty and work OK. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their other tools, now I have a couple of batteries, if the need arises. Thumbs Up Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #918713 25th Aug 2021 7:07pm
SteveK

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Rimini Red
There’s nothing wrong with Lidl and Aldi tools!

I had an 18v Parkside cordless drill for many years- I inherited it from my dad. When the battery finally died i bought a Bauker drill from Toolstation. It comes with two batteries and is much smaller than the Parkside drill.

I have an Aldi power washer that is great! Very powerful and has a useful number of accessories.
Post #918781 26th Aug 2021 2:34pm
kenzle8a

Pretty certain the parkside stuff is the same as the a Draper Storm force (or so a chum in the trade told me).

For the day to day car work I have some nice things from Kielder (their drill and 700nm impact gun) the impact gun is pretty impressive, its yet to be Defeated by any of the chassis bolts on the Landy.
Post #918805 26th Aug 2021 4:31pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
Quote:
Pretty certain the parkside stuff is the same as the a Draper Storm force

It is but there is a very small difference in the battery fit, a Draper Storm Force battery will fit on the Parkside tools OK, but the Draper tool needs a very small alteration with a dremmel to make the Parkside battery fit a Draper Storm force tool. The Parkside batteries are half the price of the Draper ones.

Here's a Draper battery on a Parkside tool Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #918815 26th Aug 2021 6:23pm
Clemmo

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Always do well with Aldi cordless tools. Batteries often interchangeable too.
Where else do you get a 3 year warrranty?
Got an Aldi petrol lawnmower 2 years ago… it has been worked very hard and never misses a beat.
Horses for courses for sure..
But generally great value and reasonable quality 👍
Clemmo Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Defender 90 HT............Pangea Green
BMW X3 Msport............Carbon Black
Mini Electric................Grey. (wow!)
MGB Roadster……..........Vermillion
Honda Benly CD200....Maroon ------------- Chausson 98.........7.5m of fun
Post #918819 26th Aug 2021 6:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1