↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Pictures & Video > New Defenders having a nice drive.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

New Defenders having a nice drive.
Not sure if this is the right place for adventure videos in a New Defender but I’ll put it here anyway.

I went for a gentle drive out with 2 other 110s (a D250 HSE on 18”steelies with Maxxis AT’s and a D250 SE on 19’’ OEM alloys and GY Adventurers) . GoPro’s were fitted to all three cars and mine and the lead car also had one inside filming the 4x4info screen of the diff/s at work and the suspension/traction working. The lead car was the only one with the rear ediff.

This was thev2nd run I’ve done with these two guys, the last was in June when we also did Breathigh but that time east to west, and also Grizedale (mainly to play on the rock ledge both times)

The strange thing on my car’s bonnet is a waterproofed GoPro and the strange finish on the Black SE was an experiment with some DIY plastic wrap material bought off eBay for £15 per 5m roll. Looks awful but it worked well and you just peel it off after you’ve completed your day on the lanes.

BTW we are looking for a New Defender 90 owner happy to join us and maybe get some bramble rash to see how a coil sprung new 90 does on these lanes. All three of us on the run also own older Defenders or a series as well as the new version

Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 24th Aug 2021 8:55pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #918566 24th Aug 2021 5:32pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Fair play, Tim. At what point will you decide that your old 90 is truly obsolete? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #918583 24th Aug 2021 8:30pm
Tim in Scotland

I don’t think it will ever be totally obsolete as it will always give somebody else some off-road fun. My 90 has done less than 1000 miles in the last year and most of that was runs to town just to keep the oily bits exercised. It went into the local garage last Wednesday for MOT and to get a few bits that are starting to show wear and rust has got a bit far on them replaced so it’s cost per mile just went through the roof. It will be a hard move to sell it after I’ve owned it for 20 years in October. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #918589 24th Aug 2021 8:51pm
LandRoverAnorak

Heh, heh, I did mean obsolete to you as you're clearly using your new Defender to the full Laughing Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #918593 24th Aug 2021 9:00pm
LandRoverAnorak

Incidentally, it was interesting to see just how much of a difference the locking rear diff made when climbing that step. My impression of the new Defender is that it relies much more on it's traction control to keep moving than axle articulation keeping the wheels on the ground and so, relative to older vehicles, the rear locker makes much more of an impact. Darren

Post #918594 24th Aug 2021 9:05pm
Tim in Scotland

I suppose that’s the compromise you have to make to have the superb comfort from the independent air bag suspension over wheel articulation. The ride comfort on rough surfaces is fantastic compared to my 90 - I cannot understand the comments made by some of “professional” testers and journalists that at off-road height the suspension is too hard - I suspect many of them have no experience of the old Defender on very rough surfaces. Why should we travel in discomfort in the 21st century even if it means having to use traction control to prevent wheel slippage when contact with the ground is lost. In the section where we drove down the rocky bit on Grizedale I went down using the HDC on its lowest 2mph setting, you can see what happened in the black SE when the driver didn’t set the HDC right down to minimum, the car went down rather quickly! On some of those trails I would have had big problems with cross axle situations too in my non Traction Control fitted 1996 90, one if the later TC equipped old Defenders would probably be as good as ND in that situation. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #918605 24th Aug 2021 9:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1