↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Rear anti-roll bar diameter confusion (2010 90)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gasket

Rear anti-roll bar diameter confusion (2010 90)
OK, I'm stuck.

Just been ordering a new set of bushes for the 2010 90 SW. Went with Superpro in the end and they should arrive in the next few days.

My 90 is completely factory - there's never been any indication of modification.

The part number for the rear anti-roll bar bush is EGP1889. Its listed as having been the same part number for all 1998-onwards Defender 90s including Pumas.

The corresponding Superpro bush is SPF1697-18K. It has an 18mm internal diameter and that's what I've ordered. This part number is listed on a number of LR parts supplier sites as being a replacement for EGP1889.

But, I've just been out and measured my rear ARB and it is 20mm (actually just under) - measured with a good pair of verniers in two locations with the wax rubbed off back to gloss paint.

I can get the superpro bush with a bigger hole (19 or 20mm though not from any LR parts suppliers), which addresses the issue but doesn't solve the confusion. I know that other people have measured their ARBs at 18mm so any idea why mine would be bigger if it isn't uprated?

I can't imagine there's still 1mm of gloss paint all round (have been at it with emery cloth) and can't imagine that the bush would cope with being stretched that much.

Anyone any ideas or has anyone heard of a larger dia ARB being fitted at any point? Or is it something obvious like the diameter being necked-down to a smaller diameter under the bush? (have measured right next to it)

The front ARB is 25.5mm without scrubbing it too hard, so that ties in with the factory 25mm size and the Superpro bush has a 25mm hole.
Post #917801 19th Aug 2021 5:38pm
Gasket

sorry to bump this one, bad etiquette, but if anyone does have any insight on the 20 vs 18mm ARB diameter confusion, I really would appreciate any thoughts - I'm nearly out of time to get the parts lined up before she goes in to have the chassis done.
Post #918295 23rd Aug 2021 10:44am
Gasket

So I haven't been able to get to the bottom of why the factory rear anti roll bar is 20mm, rather than 18mm, I have been able to fix the issue and thought I'd share the info in case it helps anyone else.

I spoke to superpro and they offer this bush with a number of different sized internal holes: 18mm/19mm/20mm/21mm.

I told them my measurements (19.85mm with a thin coat of paint) and their advice was that up to 19.6mm that the 19mm bush would be best and for 19.7mm upwards to use the 20mm bush.

So I've ordered the bush with a 20mm hole, the part number is SPF1697-20K.
Post #918507 24th Aug 2021 11:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1