↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Black box... what manner of trickery is this? BBUS?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
donmacn

Black box... what manner of trickery is this? BBUS?
Hi guys,

Helping a friend do a bulkhead swap (green paint in the pic rather than red!) and we have mission creep. The battery box was corroding away so a YRM replacement is on its way.

His car is a 1998 300Tdi and it has an alarm! Shocked (or is it an immobiliser? or both? ) My 1994 truck has none of this, hence I am not wise in the ways of such things.

This is the black box in question - mounted (or it was) to the front face of the passenger seat box inside the battery compartment. I needed to dismantle it so that we could get the loom out of the old battery box.

Click image to enlarge

Is this the BBUS I've heard about? What does it do?

So I'm quite happy that I can refit/reassemble it into the new battery box when the time comes, but when we get around to putting the car back together, reconnecting the battery and turning the key, is there any procedure we need to follow to get it to work?

Similarly, is this the thing where the 'BBUS loom relocation' comes in? Again I've seen this as a topic, but never had to look into it until now.

Any insights gratefully received. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #917255 16th Aug 2021 3:11pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
That's not the BBUS, which is siren with a battery built into it. That's usually located behind one of the headlights and the relocation loom allows it to be moved from there to somewhere more accessible. I don't think they were fitted until 2002 anyway.

Click image to enlarge

The LR alarm of the period (until about 2013) was the much talked about 10AS unit but that was usually bolted to the bulkhead and looks like this:

Click image to enlarge

I suspect what you've got there is an aftermarket alarm. Fine if it works but would always be a concern if it's origins are unknown. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #917256 16th Aug 2021 3:21pm
donmacn

Thanks Darren,

Yes, there is one of those AS10 units in the loom somewhere. I think it was on the bulkhead behind the instruments.

However if this black box is aftermarket I'd be surprised. It's fully integrated with the original loom, coming out of the battery box and up to the rear of the engine.

It was also a bit of a pig to get into. Steel rivets; only accessible once you'd unbolted the unit itself.

It strikes me now that I should have paid more attention to the colours of the wiring running to it. Donald

(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #917258 16th Aug 2021 3:32pm
dorsetsmith

The black box is not aftermarket see your pm
Post #917259 16th Aug 2021 3:36pm
dorsetsmith

I should have paid more attention to the colours of the wiring running to it. All black so Whistle
Post #917260 16th Aug 2021 3:40pm
donmacn

Aaargh. Lots of further googling and reading suggests this is not in fact an innocent black box, but a can of stinky worms!

I can foresee the day when we get all the bodywork back in place; the loom plugged in and powered up; and the car won't start just because some old bits of plastic and solder have taken the huff and stopped talking to each other, or working altogether. I find myself very grateful that my old 1994 truck has simple and basic wiring and none of this malarky.

As a philosophical aside I've often wondered how much expense and hassle we all put up with on a daily basis simply because of the existence of the concept of 'theft'..... but that could be another can of stinky worms.

I am well aware (because of the existence of 'theft', and the risks thereof) that folk don't like sharing info about alarms and security on public forums, so I'm happy to be PMd as Dorset Smith did.

Even before getting to that stage though, can anyone point to a document or page that shows what this vehicle should have left the factory with? What I know, or think I know, is this:

* I know I saw an immobiliser ring or transponder around the ignition switch when we took the steering column out.
* I am told by my friend that the car does not have central locking.
* I don't remember any wiring loom running into the doors when we pulled them off (therefore no switches to disable the alarm)
* I think he said there were no key 'fobs' with buttons (but I could be wrong about this)
* I have found out about the existence of the 'spider bypass' (but don't know how that relates to the AS10 alarm unit).
* The alarm sounder did not sound when we disconnected the battery.

All I'm really after is a 'heads up' on the sort of electrical/immobilising/starting issues that could appear during the rebuild that I'm completely unaware of.

I'm also aware of the school of thought that says: "Well, if you don't know, you should have taken it to a garage!".... but the garage didn't want to know about a bulkhead swap on a crusty 20 year old Defender. (I have found out about the guy 'Technozen' who fixes AS10 units - happy to send it to him if it turns out to be broken - but how do I know?)

As always, very happy to receive any advice or guidance.

Ta Donald

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #917285 16th Aug 2021 5:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1