↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Another Puma clutch failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
I believe I saw some bolts that are from engine side on a 2.4 (has better access than 2.2). Same gearbox, so must be same bellhousing pattern.

Re to remove or not to remove the gearbox crossmember, if you do remove, then be prepared to use some time cleaning and painting the mounting surface, as the chassis is painted with the gearbox crossmember fitted... unfortunately paint does not go in between Xmember and chassis rails.. but moisture does. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #917784 19th Aug 2021 4:44pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Further to the above, you may need to use a jack between the chassis rails (carefully!) in order to get the cross-member out and in, should you decide to remove the cross-member. It is a very tight fit.

Even on the 2.4 some of the bell-housing bolts are extraordinarily difficult to access, and may well introduce you to previously unknown levels of pain and discomfort!
Post #917786 19th Aug 2021 4:52pm
Angus_Beef

Norway 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Thanks guys, appreciate your insights! I'm really going to try to leave the cross member in place, cross your fingers for me.

Ive found a very illustrative pic on lrparts that clearly shows the bolts. Using that, I can locate and have loosened 6 of the 10 from below and have a visual on the top three. It looks like with some long extensions, I can loosen them from inside the cab. I'll be tackling them in the morning, now it is time for steak & potatoes. And maybe a beer or two Whistle

Click image to enlarge
 Roaming around πŸ‡³πŸ‡΄πŸ‡¨πŸ‡­
Post #917803 19th Aug 2021 5:47pm
Angus_Beef

Top bolts are out, removed from inside the truck. All that’s needed are two extensions and a camera to see.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #917908 20th Aug 2021 8:58am
blackwolf

DeeEss wrote:
... Top bolts are out, removed from inside the truck. All that’s needed are two extensions and a camera to see. ...

Good tip, I'll remember than for next time. I remember quite a lot of hassle (and pain) trying to reach those down the back of the engine! Thumbs Up
Post #917936 20th Aug 2021 10:36am
Angus_Beef

My diagnosis of the Brrrrrr being a spring coming out and touching the diaphragm spring proved sound. Now to install the lof roadspec (delivered this morning!) and put it all back together. I’m getting tired at this point Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #917966 20th Aug 2021 1:03pm
Angus_Beef

New clutch and clutch hydraulics are in, and now I am tying to bench-press the gearbox back into position. And this is proving a challenge.

I have the rear of the box hanging from the engine hoist, where I can adjust the height and position left/right. with my feet sticking out from under the radiator, Im lifting the front of the box off the cross member and moving it forward to mate with the engine. It gets within about an inch of flush and stops moving. Perhaps the teeth of the input shaft and the clutch arent meshing? I dont know.

Any tips? Those who have done it, how did you get the box mated back to the engine?

Cheers
Dave Roaming around πŸ‡³πŸ‡΄πŸ‡¨πŸ‡­
Post #918029 20th Aug 2021 5:21pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I assume you bolted the new clutch up with an alignment tool? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #918034 20th Aug 2021 5:43pm
Angus_Beef

Yes, Sir. Used the supplied alignment tool from LOF, but I will check the alignment again. Roaming around πŸ‡³πŸ‡΄πŸ‡¨πŸ‡­
Post #918035 20th Aug 2021 5:47pm
blackwolf

Stick the box in gear and turn the output shaft with your third hand as you try to slide the box forward. It is most likely, if you are an inch away from success, the the splines on the input shaft and clutch centre are misaligned and not engaging.
Post #918047 20th Aug 2021 7:44pm
Angus_Beef

Thanks Dinnu and Blackwolf for your help. I finished up on Sunday and the LOF Roadspec is installed and working as expected. Took it for a 60km test drive today and all seems well! Roaming around πŸ‡³πŸ‡΄πŸ‡¨πŸ‡­
Post #918370 23rd Aug 2021 7:25pm
Dinnu

Good to hear that it has been sorted out. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #918378 23rd Aug 2021 8:04pm
Angus_Beef

Thanks, mate. helluva learning curve, but really not difficult at all. It's a nuts and bolts job, and not even a lot of nuts and bolts. Now that I have it figured out I could do it in a weekend, without too much stress.

I was shocked at how heavy the transfer case is. Im pretty sure that even drained of oil, it is heavier than the trans full of oil, with output shaft. Blackwolf has written for years about the weights, be careful, life changing consequences, etc, and he's spot on.

Drives like a new car now, err... rather, a different car. The clutch has a totally different feel, as it should - I did not realise how bad my old one was. After 6 years and 56,000 miles, I was quite used to it and probably didn't think it was too bad because I believed a clutch should last a bit longer.

I like the LOF Roadspec. It's very tight, has a very smooth engagement, and feels very strong. I called Luke twice with questions - great guy, no-BS talk, no drama.

In all, I spent less than half of what it would cost to have hired out, got a better clutch, got it done faster, and I have quite a lot of new tools Very Happy Roaming around πŸ‡³πŸ‡΄πŸ‡¨πŸ‡­
Post #918402 23rd Aug 2021 9:06pm
Dinnu

Yes, transfer box is damn heavy. Some members here say that they can β€˜bench lift’ it single handed. Hats off to those guys.
As per picture I uploaded in previous page.. I removed the transfer box with the drum still on but purely because I was pressed with time. But I had a helping hand.. in the pic you can see him indexing the wheel so I can tighten the prop shaft bolts. When I removed the transfer box from my Puma, I made a cradle to go on the trolley jack as I knew I would have to do it single handed. When I removed it from my 1988 90, I had the luxury that the seat box was already out. Makes a huge difference. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #918426 23rd Aug 2021 10:21pm
blackwolf

After I'd taken one out for the first time I splashed out on the genuine adaptor to mount the t-box on a transmission jack along with a set of the alignment studs for refitting the t-box to the back of the gearbox. They were not as expensive as I'd expected from Bosch and make the job very much easier and safer. A decent transmission jack helps a lot as well.

My warnings about the weight are not intended to be patronising, but I suspect that a lot of people expect the LT230 to be significantly lighter than it is. If you are pulling it back thinking you can support it from underneath and it lands on you, you will be very lucky not to suffer a life-changing injury.
Post #918431 23rd Aug 2021 10:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>