↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > JLR to crackdown on poor reliability…..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jim4244

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
JLR to crackdown on poor reliability…..
I think we have been told this before eh?

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-car...HvZfxA-_K4
Post #910934 6th Jul 2021 8:33am
Angus_Beef

Norway 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
more like "JLR launches initiative to lower warranty claims" Roaming around 🇳🇴🇨🇭
Post #910943 6th Jul 2021 9:01am
Tim in Scotland

Most of the 14 new Land Rover products I’ve owned in the last 30 years have been reliable - the problems have been quality control related during build (paint finish) and rattles. The only car that ever broke down (thus unreliable) was my 2nd Evoque after a software upgrade to the ZF Gearbox ECU at 9 months old. The most reliable has been my 1996 Defender that has been in my ownership since 2001 - the only things that has failed on that in 20 years of my ownership were the chassis rotted through at 15 years old and I managed to put a hole in the transfer case off-road and lost all the oil. Everything else is still original. So what renders. Car “unreliable” - to me it’s that it fails to get you from A to B when needed, trim rattles and parts falling off or failing don’t make it unreliable they are issues with the quality of what LR buys in or poor supervision of the people on the production line.

Does having to repeatedly go back to the dealer with a new car that has rattles, leaks and non-mechanical bits failing make a car unreliable? To me that’s a problem with the people who make the cars and the quality of the end of production inspections. Also LR seems to be really slow to implement really simple fixes like in the L663 driver’s door/ B pillar rattle that is simply cured by gluing the rubber to the door frame instead of using double sided sticky pads that dry out and loose their “stick” in 3 months. I’m amazed to read posts here and on the other forums of people still complaining about this issue >12 months after the issue was highlighted……….

As Dee Ess says this isn’t unreliability that they are trying to “fix” it’s a warranty claims reduction exercise. My own L663 110 has had 5 visits to the dealers to repair rattles and leaks, each time has been a separate warranty claim, 4 of them for the leak alone. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 6th Jul 2021 9:27am. Edited 3 times in total
Post #910944 6th Jul 2021 9:18am
SN

I've had three LR's over 10 years of the last 15 - I had turbo issues on the first two but other than that and usual wear/tear items like brakes and front wheel bearings, no other issues. Nothing else. But then since 1994 in all the other years inbetween of my new car motoring I've had no issues either. May be I've been lucky. Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #910945 6th Jul 2021 9:22am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Not sure there's anything new in the article, seems a re-hash from things said in February and March this year:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic77270...p;start=15

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Most of the 14 new Land Rover products I’ve owned in the last 30 years have been reliable - the problems have been quality control related during build (paint finish) and rattles.

In reference to the new Defender, rattles, like for instance in the A pillar, have had new parts with different fixings introduced to attempt to solve the issue. There's numerous other examples where it's not down to the QA during build but down to the quality of the part itself and perhaps poor/inadequate testing further upstream.
Post #910946 6th Jul 2021 9:32am
J77

Scotland 
Well they’re of to a good start, reducing warranty claims by not acknowledging the parts they’ve sold.

Part 2

Out of 11 LRs only my D3 left me at the side of the road, the rest have all been reliable. It’s the build quality they need to get to grips with. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #910962 6th Jul 2021 10:49am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
June's been a bad month for Defender recalls, as well as ^^^^^ Recall N598 - Smoked rear lamps over voltage event, there's also been Recall N599 - PCM May Switch Off and Cause Engine Stall.
Post #910971 6th Jul 2021 12:00pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Re: JLR to crackdown on poor reliability…..
jim4244 wrote:
I think we have been told this before eh?

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-car...HvZfxA-_K4

Gotta keep the marketing department in a job………
Post #910974 6th Jul 2021 12:31pm
Tim in Scotland

Or the Autocar editor is having a quiet week and needs to dredge up something from last year to fill the magazine. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #910987 6th Jul 2021 1:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1