↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Not ANOTHER Towbar power question - must be summer holidays!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MussEd

Scotland 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Baltic Blue
Not ANOTHER Towbar power question - must be summer holidays!
I've tried searching and found various threads but not exactly the same issues as others have had - so please bear with me.
Bought a new bike rack - stuck in the shed until needed. We go away today so thought I'd be prepared and test lights etc yesterday.

Needed a 13 pin to 7 pin adaptor to connect to my cars socket. Lights went mental when I connected it up - brake lights on with the hazards, indicators staying on with sidelights etc. Gave the socket on the car a quick swoosh of ACF50 (wasn't in too bad condition anyway)- no change. Thought it was an issue with the adaptor - got another and the same problems.
Saw a few threads mentioning earth problems but having no time to investigate/rectify so as a last chance I borrowed my pals old trailer light board with 7 pin electric and it plugged straight in and worked perfectly.

So my question is I guess - there's obviously an issue between the adaptor and the rack's electrics. How can I resolve this? Not today - I can use pal's trailer board this week but obviously would like the quite expensive bike rack to function as it should do!
Post #910775 5th Jul 2021 7:49am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Have you got something else that you can plug into the adapter to test that separately from the bike rack? Do you have access to another vehicle with 13 pin electrics to try the bike rack on? It's really a case of narrowing down where the problem is and if it's the bike rack then either return it as faulty or get the multimeter out and check what the wiring is doing. It could be something as simple as an incorrectly wired plug. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #910782 5th Jul 2021 8:09am
MussEd

Scotland 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Baltic Blue
Was a loose wire in the Bike Rack plug - had a spare hour today to investigate. All sorted now!
Post #911265 7th Jul 2021 6:05pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Excellent Thumbs Up Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #911342 8th Jul 2021 8:08am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It always amuses me how one loose wire or one earth fault with a trailer can cause so many bizarre and seemingly inexplicable symptoms. Hours of fun can be had sorting them out.

Well done, glad you're sorted! Thumbs Up
Post #911347 8th Jul 2021 8:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1