↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > For Sale & Wanted > [Wanted] ignition key transceiver part number AMR4897
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jgh112

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Blenheim Silver
[Wanted] ignition key transceiver part number AMR4897
Hi guys could anyone save the day and sell me a ignition coil key transceiver the black plastic ring around the key barrel which has a plug attached to it. I need one for my 57 plate defender, and the part is obsolete from Land Rover so second hand only.
Would be more than thankful.

Click image to enlarge

[/list]
Post #912360 14th Jul 2021 4:13pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
You could leave it off and simply disable the passive immobiliser. This will make the car more reliable when starting, and Johnny Scumbag won't know it isn't there so is unlikely to target the car. It also doesn't affect the operation of the active immobiliser, so the car is just as immobilised when locked as it is with the coil fitted.

It has been my experience that the only person ever inconvenienced by the Defender's PI system is the rightful owner when the car won't start because of PI issues. I have never seen any evidence the it slows down thieves.

With my own Defender, I find with 100% repeatability that if I open the driver's door window whilst waiting for the glow plug light to go out (i.e., while the PI is doing its dialogue between the coil and the key) then the engine will not start. If I don't open the window, the PI is generally quite reliable. I can only assume that RFI from the window motor disrupts the dialogue, but it is a fascinating effect. It was very irritating until I made the connection too!

It is however rather disturbing that a part such as this is obsolete and unobtainable already.
Post #912370 14th Jul 2021 5:18pm
Jgh112

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Blenheim Silver
Hi mate the problem I am having is i dont know what this plug is for, attached.

and I bought the vehicle ex stolen recovered and trying to get keys programmed, however the guy turnt up with an MVP scanner and it didn't like the car and said ecu disconnected (which it isn't) could be his scanner I guess.

But also after he left I found 2 alarm fuses were blown, could that of been his problem as it would interrupt the circuit so to speak, replaced fuses hooked up battery and the alarm goes off. So wondering if I need those fuses active and for the alarm to be going off whilst the new key guy comes??

Click image to enlarge
Post #912372 14th Jul 2021 5:24pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I think we answered most of these questions in your other thread. The plug does appear to be the one for the exciter coil, but the absence of the coil should not affect the operation of any aspect of the locking or immobiliser with the exception of the PI which can be turned off. It should not affect the programming of keys.

I understand your desire to find a coil and fit it, and I would be the same, I was just trying to point out that if you can't find one it isn't the end of the world! Thumbs Up
Post #912377 14th Jul 2021 6:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1