↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > TD5 110 fuel tank breather pipe - Specs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
geobloke

United Kingdom 
TD5 110 fuel tank breather pipe - Specs
Hi folks. Windeing if one of you good people can help me out.

I have sprung a leak from a perished/sliced fuel tank breather pipe. Must have been a sharp stone as it is sliced lengthways along the pipe. Had the water in fuel filter light flash on the other day after a ford crossing, investigated and found the split

Anyway. Does anyone know off the top of their heads what the internal and external diameters are for this pipe, please?

Part number: LR018261

https://www.lrparts.net/lr018261-defender-...-part.html

£53 ex VAT for a bit of pipe and a one way valve... Not a chance Rolling with laughter

Also thinking of extending the breather beyond the wheel arch. Any ideas of a suitable place?!

Many thanks in advance.
Post #910126 30th Jun 2021 11:34am
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
You on about the full pipe or the bit of nylon pipe? Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #910132 30th Jun 2021 11:55am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
IIRC it is 6mm bore or thereabouts. I extended mine up into the rear buck adjacent to the RNS light cluster, but this might not be such a good idea if you have a station wagon (mine's a double cab).

You certainly should move it, Landrover could hardly have chosen a worse place to terminate a fuel breather!

I used a length of the type shown below, it's been in place for years and has already lasted several times longer than the overpriced original:

Click image to enlarge
Post #910134 30th Jun 2021 12:00pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
bankz5152 wrote:
You on about the full pipe or the bit of nylon pipe?

The flexible rubber pipe.
Post #910142 30th Jun 2021 12:43pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
IIRC it is 6mm bore or thereabouts. I extended mine up into the rear buck adjacent to the RNS light cluster, but this might not be such a good idea if you have a station wagon (mine's a double cab).

You certainly should move it, Landrover could hardly have chosen a worse place to terminate a fuel breather!

I used a length of the type shown below, it's been in place for years and has already lasted several times longer than the overpriced original:

Click image to enlarge

Many thanks black wolf. I take it the 6mm refers to the thinner bore pipe post one-way valve?

I did think of the same location to terminate as my rear diff breather ends there, but like you suggest I have a SW and the potential for fumes may not be a good idea Shocked Rolling Eyes
Post #910143 30th Jun 2021 12:45pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It is the thicker pipe I remember as being 6mm bore or thereabouts, this is thickwall rubbery hose. The hard nylon pipe is thinwall and is fitted inside the thicker pipe at the outboard end.

I ditched the roll-over valve altogether and fitted one of the old fashioned throw-away fuel filters (image below) into the line instead, just to keep any dirt out. The filter, plus about two feet of coiled up spare breather is secreted behind the cover that protects the back of the light unit inside the tub.

The reason for leaving two feet of extra length is that the 2.4 Puma doesn't have a pump in the tank, so there are situations when bleeding can be a problem. The extra length means that I can very easily pressurise the tank with an airline or in extremis by blowing down the breather if I need to bleed. The tank filler cap incorporates a pressure release vale so you cannot blow the tank up with an airline, by the way.

Click image to enlarge
Post #910147 30th Jun 2021 1:29pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Evening Gents. Many thanks for your help, appreciated. Time to order some pipe… Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #910212 30th Jun 2021 9:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1