↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Wheel arch extension pictures
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Looks like the old joke about the only things visible from space being the great wall of china and the gaps in LR doors to include the gaps around the wheel arches!
Post #910087 30th Jun 2021 7:49am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
I had mine fitted by the car body shop that painted them gloss black and they are perfect. A lot of car body parts are now stuck on. As mentioned its all about doing it properly. Those that have issues ask your dealer who fitted them and did they do it properly. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #910092 30th Jun 2021 8:56am
Ronin

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 ST Keswick Green

Click image to enlarge

I've got a set of these on the way. Like with the rear recovery points and front under shield I've got waiting in the garage, my view was that I'd take far more care fitting these than the garage would, and that I'd actually enjoy the process (just like I've enjoyed working on the 'classic' Defenders I've owned over the past decade...).

For what it's worth, these attach both with tape and with the same trim clips which attach the smaller, standard trim pieces. You can see the clips in the above screengrab I stole from PowerfulUK's installation video. I appreciate that it's a far larger piece than standard, and likely more susceptible to 'aerodynamic interference'. I gather from feedback from other sources that surface preparation is absolutely key (and that the parts come with the appropriate adhesion promoter).

There's some fairly eye-opening feedback in this thread, but I think I'm still going to go ahead (though I'll be waiting for perfect weather and taking my time!).

Joel Thumbs Up
Post #910138 30th Jun 2021 12:14pm
therso

United Kingdom 
I followed Powerful's video. The process is straightforward. Removing the fitted trim is the hardest part you think but actually very easy. The vehicle looks properly finished when fitted IMHO. By the way, I'm 71, disabled veteran with very shaky hands and little strength now. Just do it! Very Happy
Post #910203 30th Jun 2021 8:00pm
Tim in Scotland

For those who think that the OEM extended wheelarches simply aren’t big enough Urban’s latest video on YouTube shows their monster sized new wheel arch extension offering that they will be selling shortly……..
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #910206 30th Jun 2021 8:20pm
Scrumps

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Cairns Blue
Hi,

Here’s SWMBO’s 90 with extended arches.

We’re on the second set due to misalignment and expansion issues but they’ve proved themselves already by preventing “trolley rash” at the local supermarket.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Scrumps 90 D250 HSE Tasman Blue
24MY L461 RRS Verasine Blue
05 TD5 90 CSW Cairns Blue
1967 MGB BRG
1944 Willy’s MB OD green
1942 Willy’s MB OD green
Post #910219 30th Jun 2021 9:46pm
4B4B

United Kingdom 
I wonder if/think the problem is techs rushing the job, not doing the surface preparation well enough, or not to align with the tape. Also, if when they are putting pressure on the tape to make it stick, they work the pressure from the left and right sides, and meeting in the middle, it would create a weak point that could be under pressure to buckle out over time.

I had originally planned to fit mine myself, but was a bit alarmed seeing the photos on here. I probably will still stick to the original plan, and affix them carefully though. Defender 90 HSE 250D 2022MY - Gave up after two failed orders
Post #910226 30th Jun 2021 10:54pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
I've not read the instructions, does it say to apply heat once fitted to activate the solvent/glue. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #910275 1st Jul 2021 1:21pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
Here's a video of a bodyshop fitting the wheel arch extensions

These are the guys that resprayed a new Defender Aintree Green Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #910286 1st Jul 2021 3:25pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
One thing I noticed in the bodyshop video above is that they used 3M promotor pads as prep for the double sided tape and not the stuff that is supplied in the kit. I'm not sure if it is different to the supplied stuff Confused Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #910288 1st Jul 2021 3:32pm
WizzardPrang

England 
I ordered mine as part of the car order, although they were fitted by my dealer before delivery.

They're fixed by a series of clips, not just sticky tape. For those thinking of fitting them themselves, here are LR's instructions.

http://accessories-instructions.landrover....r/G2409779 Current vehicle: 2020 Defender 110S
Gone: Defender 90 HT 200Tdi, Discovery Sport, Freelander 2

Insta: wizzardprang
Post #910372 1st Jul 2021 11:47pm
zilch

Australia 
Scrumps wrote:
they’ve proved themselves already by preventing “trolley rash” at the local supermarket. Scrumps

likewise, have a nice scratch in the plastic about 3" long on the off side rear, no doubt someone not being
able to judge the gap correctly with a shopping trolley.. i doubt the PPF would have saved the paint
work if the wheel arch protectors were not fitted.. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #910374 2nd Jul 2021 12:47am
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Happened to pass Hendy LR at Salisbury today so I nipped in to have a look at their Silicon Silver 90. The arch extension were pretty poor.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #910702 4th Jul 2021 1:25pm
J77

Scotland 
At least that photo has made my mind up, definitely won’t bother with those. I liked them on my D3 but then that was designed to have them.

Looks fine without

Click image to enlarge
 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #910735 4th Jul 2021 6:36pm
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
Ref the extended wheel arches which I have ordered for the imminent arrival of a 110, the way I see it is as follows:
1. Fitting these are efficiently are subject to the ability of an individual in each dealer, so the final outcome is variable
2. Whilst the existing entry points are utilised from the old arch, the extended arch now at the top is secured by a very thin double sided tape see the Powerful U.K. video
3. This thin tape is unlikely IMO to remain effective during a U.K. wet winter. Water will ingress and damp anyway. I guess you could use double sided number plate tape which is very resilient but if ever the arches were taken off, then there would be a heck of a job to remove this tape without damaging the paint.
4. Jet washing....don’t think I’d want to jet wash the vehicle with the extended arches!

The arches look great, but I wouldn’t be happy after spending £612 if they started to fall off .
Post #910753 4th Jul 2021 8:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>