↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Mounting Maggiolina to Hannibal rack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
a13x

United Kingdom 
Mounting Maggiolina to Hannibal rack
Been away for a while but purchased a maggiolina hard shell roof tent and naively thought it be a simple bolting to the rack but now realised it either needs the rack drilling or finding some brackets.

Does anyone have experience of doing this? Are brackets, mounting options available to aid with this? Photos of similar setups would be appreciated.
Post #903378 16th May 2021 10:40am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
There are many options depending on how easy, and how often you mount the tent. I used to have brackets to fit mine, but then changed as was fitting, removing, refitting it often as Defender is work vehicle. So I then changed it to a simple bolt system.
Post #903412 16th May 2021 3:41pm
a13x

United Kingdom 
Thanks. No desire to keep taking off an on. It will probably be mounted permanent, at least for a while anyway. I think ideally some brackets to make it fool proof when mounting would be best. I’ve sent an email to patriot racks if they do something.
Post #903434 16th May 2021 4:34pm
JackW

United States 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Coniston Green
When I had a Maggiolina mounted on the Hannibal rack of my Defender 90 I used a couple of hollow rectangular 2" x 3" aluminum crossbars that were a little wider than the roof tent - long enough to rest on the outer two longitudinal bars of the roof rack. I first drilled some holes in the bars to tie down the tent to the bars (easy to do when the tent is standing on end) - and bolted the bars to the underside of the tent. Then I got a little help to lift the whole assembly on the rack and figure out where I needed to put some bolts to hold the bars down to the rack where I could easily access them. The space under the tent was just high enough to slide in a thin folding table or a pair of traction boards - bonus!

Click image to enlarge
Post #919455 1st Sep 2021 2:00am
JackW

United States 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Coniston Green
If you drill a hole all the way through the aluminum bar the size of the bolt shank and then step the hole size up enough to clear a deep socket on the opposite surface it makes it real easy to remove and install the fasteners.
Post #919456 1st Sep 2021 2:07am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1